Pirate 4x4 banner

Which wire?

769 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dhorn33 
#1 ·
I just bought myself a Hobart 175 and I am working on trying to learn how to use it. I burned through the .030 flux core wire that it came with (there wasn't much there) and I went to go get more wire to practice with. I will likely use this for skids, roll cage, etc - should I be using .030 or .035 wire? Until I come into some more money for a regulator and a tank it has to be flux core wire. Thanks!

#3 ·
So the .030 should be fine then? It seemed like the most common size at the store I was at (Fleet Farm) and it was the only size they sold in a twin pack of 2 - 2# spools. I think the wire is Hobart brand for around $22 (vs. $16 for just one 2# spool. Obviously the flux core wire costs way more than solid core that is why I didn't want to go with the 10# spool for $55. I plan to get the regulator and tank in the not so distant future and get it setup right.

Hobart does still give the guage and hose with their bigger Hobart Handlers (ie the 180) but I bought this Hobart 175 at a pawn shop for $300 and it didn't come with this stuff. It seems like a good machine with very little use so I figured I could pick up the guage and hose later. (They sell them at the Fleet Farm too for $50). I will have $350 into a machine that would have cost me around $650 had I bought it new so I am a happy camper.

Thanks for from a grateful Newbie:confused: !

#4 ·
I can't help you much because I'm in the same boat but with a SP135 plus running .035 flux core without gas. I'd stick with bumpers and sliders and leave the roll cage welding and suspention welding to someone who make's a living welding/fabing. I was happy as a pig in shit yesterday when I welded a piece of rebar to a old main leaf. Sad I know. I have a 10# spool so I have a lot of practice welds before I'll be looking for new wire so let me know what wire you like and I'll give it a shot.

#5 ·
Ebay has some great deals on mig wire. Be suspect and ask a lot of questions. Be wary of corroded/rusting mig wire. I bought 10 spools of 10# Lincoln Innershield .040 wire for $100 plus shipping. It was sealed up and displayed recent production numbers.

Yes it is a big wire...It burns hot and you have to spread it fast. I bought it to put in my MM175 to weld up trailers outside. It welds great with little slag and it even burns contaminents off. I believe you can get Innershield in .030, .035, and even up to .065??? Home Depot and Lowes carries the 10# spools for $30-$40.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.