Pirate 4x4 banner

Socket Containers

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Simon 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anybody have a good solution to organizing your sockets while on the road? I've got the things metal rails with the pegs. Those are okay but they're bulky, sometimes loose their sockets and are hard to get off with oily hands. I've tried the black hard cases but they don't organize the tools as well. The magnet things won't hold up like they need to. Suggestions???

Jack

#2 ·
#6 ·
desertsport said:
sears make a set of socket organizers. I just bought them, Everything is organized by 6pt and 12 pt sae metric 1/4 3/8 1/2. each set is like 20.00 I bought two sets, each set will hold like 200 sockets. best organizers ive seen.
I hate those rail bars, the socket now fit snugly, they all have a home and its so much eaiser finding the socket you need.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00965172000&subcat=Tool+Storage+Accessories
I bought this as well, but there's gotta be something better out there.

#8 ·
in the past ive used small tupperware type bins for the small sockets, they work good in hard sided tool boxes.. Now im using some cheep-o tool bags from HF cst like $3 i just dump em all in there, are good sized and can hold all of them, even the impacts. Easier to stuff in my large tool bags or keep loose.... plus they don't take off or slide away on the trail.. that and no one steals my HF Pittsburg tools :)

#9 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I was considering storing them in a bag with a string through them to keep them in order. Was just hoping that there was a better solution.

I pit for a couple of class 3 trucks that we run in the Baja 1000. I don't have time to look for tools so I was hoping there was a good solution out there that I just hadn't found yet. I did find that snap-on still makes the little trays with the lid that holds the tools down but, like all of their stuff, they're expensive.

Jack

#10 ·
Jack,

Look at zipper bags for your sockets. I like the Klein bags

I put different types of sockets in different bags in my everyday tool kit for work. One bag for 12pt 3/8's drive deep sockets, another for the shallow, so on, and so forth. The bags are about $5 each at HD, or any electrical supply house. The big trick is to label the bags with large writing, in indelible ink.

You might could do it cheaper, but I don't know if Harbor Freight sells similar bags or not.

I'll be cheering for the Old Horse Racing team as I watch the coverage online. Good luck guys!!

#11 ·
Those drawer organizers take up too much space in a trail bag.

I bought a bunch of little canvas zipped "tool bags" from HF. Called a "10" bag" or something like that. On sale, something like $5 each or something stupid cheap. I've got all my sockets on rails to keep them in order so I can find the right size. I've got my metric sockets and wrenches in one bag. I've got all standard sockets and wrenches in another. Got a few others with things like "tire patch kits" and related tools grouped together. These then go into a "Gate Mouth" bag with other stuff like ratchets, extensions, pliers, adjustable wrenches, and screw drivers in the pockets around the inside of the main bag. Hammers and pry bars in the main compartment along with the socket bags. And a few "frequent use tools" on the outside for easy access without opening the bag.

Works great, and the bag collapses down tight so no rattling or wasted space...

#12 ·
Nylon mesh bags work well for tools and sockets. You can see what's in them, and I bought a bunch of them in three different sizes and three different colors at a second hand outdoor hear shop. They cost a buck each, and range from quart ziplock bag size (roughly) up to roughly gallon ziplock size. They don't take up the space a tupperware would, and they keep the rattling down. I use them for maps, a few tools, flares, bug reppelent and sunblock and sting-eaze (for the kids) and a bunch of other stuff in my tuffy box and for tool storage elsewhere.

Simon

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.