Pirate 4x4 banner

Gas to Electric Compressor Questions

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  nbaff 
#1 ·
I just picked up a gas compressor from a service truck pretty cheap. I don't mind just running it as a gas compressor but my neighbors probably won't like it as much as I do. The gas motor is a Briggs and Straton 5 HP motor that runs at about 3300 RPMS. The compressor is a Quicy that looks to be a 2-stage compressor. I don't know the CFM or model numbers. What size electric is a good replacement of the gas motor? I'd assume 5hp.

#3 · (Edited)
I've got a Quincy QR-25 powered by a 12hp K-series Kohler. I've been looking to either convert to electric or replace the engine. I'll be calling my compressor guy this week for some ideas, so if you can get any model #'s or P/N's I'd be happy to ask about a replacement electric motor size. Quincys came in a WIDE range of engine/motor sizes so it's impossible to give a straight answer without more specifics. AFAIK, mine would run off a 5hp or 7.5 electric motor. Because Quincy uses unloader valves (The mushroom shaped things sticking out of the cyl. head), they're a bit more forgiving of being underpowered than other compressors.

You'd need to buy a pressure switch too.

#4 · (Edited)
Quincy X8
Top of cylinder says 2107
and I found 7604028 on the opposite side from where it said X8

Model X8
TYPICAL HORSEPOWER RANGE 100 PSI 1 1/2
BORE 2.38
STROKE 2.00
NO CYL 2
CFM PISTON DISPLACE MENT PER REV.0.01025
MIN. RPM 400
ACFM F.A.D. @ 100 PSIG MIN. RPM 2.30
MAX. RPM 900
ACFM@ 100 PSIG MAX. RPM 5.17
MAXIMUM CONTINUOUS PRESSURE 100
MAXIMUM INTERMITTEN T PRESSURE100
APPROX. SHIPPING WEIGHT 39
SIZE 10x6x11

#6 ·
SeaBass44 said:
what I have heard, gas motors need to be double the HP
if correct, you need a 2.5hp el motor
That is correct, double at least because on a 4-cycle you only get power every other rotation. Most have a bit more to accomdate less then optimum motor conditons. You'd be ok with a 2hp with a 1.15SF.

#9 ·
BumpyDodge said:
I've got a Quincy QR-25 powered by a 12hp K-series Kohler. I've been looking to either convert to electric or replace the engine. I'll be calling my compressor guy this week for some ideas, so if you can get any model #'s or P/N's I'd be happy to ask about a replacement electric motor size. Quincys came in a WIDE range of engine/motor sizes so it's impossible to give a straight answer without more specifics. AFAIK, mine would run off a 5hp or 7.5 electric motor. Because Quincy uses unloader valves (The mushroom shaped things sticking out of the cyl. head), they're a bit more forgiving of being underpowered than other compressors.

You'd need to buy a pressure switch too.

rebuild the engine and convert to propane

20 pounder would last for months on that thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.