Pirate 4x4 banner

what size wire?

845 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cybergeek23851 
#1 ·
200 amp service inside the house,
100 amp service in the garage.

40ft away from eachother.

What size wire from the 200 to the 100 box?

#2 ·
I believe you need #4 where in jersey? certain countys have different requirements. also under ground or over head? MY buddy is a union electrician in Jersey he said he would look it up for you.

#6 ·
he said copper #2 is code but if you want to do aluminum which is cheaper you should check with the electrical inspector. also copper useing no 2 use 1.5 sch80 conuit. If you need more info let me know

#7 · (Edited)
I'm doing the exact thing for my shop. The city said three #4 wire (red, black, and beige) and one #8 ground (green) in 1.5" PVC conduit (18" deep). I think a 2" conduit will be just fine. I would run a couple of extra 3/4" PVC conduits just in case. I will use them for network, phone, and cable TV. The other 3/4" is just extra...

All wires are THNN/THWN

#9 ·
Jerseywheeler said:
I just came from home depot during lunch.. 2" is huge. I got 1 1/4. Is that going to be to small for 4 4gauge wires and phone line?

Thanks for everybody's help.
I would go with 1.5" conduit. It will make huge difference when you get ready to pull the wire. Also, you can't have power and phone wires in the same conduit. You can put them in the same ditch as long as they're in their own conduit. Be sure to check with you city on code. What I'm stating is code for where North Texas.

#10 ·
I ran that group of wires from my garage to my house this summer in 1.5" conduit. It was a pretty tight fit - we had (4) 90's to go thru. I also dropped a 3/4" conduit in the same trench to and pulled wiring for a 3-way switch in the house controlling the outside lights on the garage.

One thing to consider when putting phone/cable/cat5 cables in the same trench is the closer to the electrical service they are together, the more interference you'll get.

#11 ·
Does your buddy do work on the side?

ROCKKRAWLERXJ said:
I believe you need #4 where in jersey? certain countys have different requirements. also under ground or over head? MY buddy is a union electrician in Jersey he said he would look it up for you.

#13 ·
Same theory but trying to pull 125 amp service, roughly 260 feet.

I saw a chart that said 1/0 for 125 amp service, but it didn't talk about derating for length? Another electrician told me to run 2/0. Don't really want to spend the extra 150 bucks if i do not need to

all will be ran in 2" conduit underground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.