Pirate 4x4 banner

miller 175

852 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  1_ton_jimmy 
#1 ·
Been looking into getting a mig welder and mainly been looking at the miller 175. now will this welder do ok if i were to want to weld some 3/8th plate to 1/2 plate such as bumper mounts 1/2" with 3/8th" winch plate in between. everything else i would do would be 1/4" or less. so with that said is the 210 worth the extra 500 or so dollars over the 175 for what i want to do?

#2 ·
black4x4 said:
Been looking into getting a mig welder and mainly been looking at the miller 175. now will this welder do ok if i were to want to weld some 3/8th plate to 1/2 plate such as bumper mounts 1/2" with 3/8th" winch plate in between. everything else i would do would be 1/4" or less. so with that said is the 210 worth the extra 500 or so dollars over the 175 for what i want to do?

I know you want to hear everyone's opinion, but do a little search and you will find an exhaustive amount of threads discussing all aspects of this welder.

Upon saying that, I have this welder. IMO, the MM175 is capable of satisfying your requirements. Of course, you will need to crank up the power and wire speed and go with a thicker wire .030-.035 to weld 3/8" to 1/2".

The 210 has a higher duty cycle and is aptly suited for use in a commercial environment. However, many people use them in a hobbiest/personal fab. etc. role.

For what you want to do, I would purchase the 175 and use some of the extra $500 a 210 what cost you to purchase a quality tank, a good welding helmet (maybe even an auto-dark one), mig pliers, good leather gloves, C-clamps 1"-6" range, a magnetic level and set-up triangles, nozzle gel/anti-spatter stuff. Doing this, you would still have $$$ left over. As you will find soon enougn, you will likely need all these materials anyway.

#3 ·
I doubt that you will soon regret getting a MM175. I have one and love it. Have only run up against the duty cycle on one ocasion, and that was when I was welding up my beadlocks. High amps going pretty steady. Other than that one project, Ive had no issues.

#4 ·
Aces'n'8s said:
For what you want to do, I would purchase the 175 and use some of the extra $500 a 210 what cost you to purchase a quality tank, a good welding helmet (maybe even an auto-dark one), mig pliers, good leather gloves, C-clamps 1"-6" range, a magnetic level and set-up triangles, nozzle gel/anti-spatter stuff. Doing this, you would still have $$$ left over. As you will find soon enougn, you will likely need all these materials anyway.
This is really good advice. Maybe use some of the extra money to make up a good extension cord so you have better range :smokin: .

#5 ·
The downside to getting the 220VAC welder instead of the 120 VAC welder, is that you won't be back here in 6 months bitching and whining about how you should have got the 220 VAC in the first place.

Instead, you'll be here showing off you good looking strong welds and all your welding projects. In other words, you'll be pretty insufferable.

My .02.

Merlin

#6 ·
both 175 and 210 are 220V
one's just more powerful than the other

Get a 210 if you think you might ever get into aluminum since it has the spool gun controller built in. The 175 requires a control box.

#7 ·
I was in this same debate a few years back and went with the 210 because I do weld some heavier stuff on occasion and the 210 has the direct mount up for a sppol gun. The 175 can mount a spool gun to but you need a special kit that costs several hundred extra. Do you plan to weld any aluminum? If so definately get the 210. I am very happy with mine.

#12 ·
I like my lincoln powermig 255... did I mention spray transfer rocks :grinpimp:

I have been doing a lot of 3/8" for the past couple months and have never hit the duty cycle.

Mostly we do 1/4" and i`m practicing with spray transfer for all my 1/4" now as it's sooo much nicer looking and penetration is INSANE! (talk about a sunburn if you don't wear the right gear though!!! :eek: )

Welders are like plasma cutters, trailers, storage, tow rigs, axles, etc.. get the best you can afford cuz one day you will want bigger and better :)

#13 ·
I've got a millermatic 175, for what little i've used it, I'm impressed

I'm a begining welder and this machine is very easy to use with quality results

I got this machine because i wanted a miller, wanted a machine that runs on 220, and didn't want to spend 1250+ for the next step up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.