Pirate 4x4 banner

Can buy one new shop tool. Bench/pedistal grinder or disk/belt sander?

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  300sniper 
#1 ·
Title says it all. Ive got the scraps to purchase one or the other, not both. Which one would you go with?

#3 ·
If you had to choose just one, go w the belt sander. But I've got an old Rockwell unit similar to what OS posted above and I use it a lot. I actually installed a wire wheel in place of a grinding wheel, it's nice for two-handed cleanup of dirty or rusted parts.

#6 ·
get the belt sander and an angle grinder you should be ok for a wile but really you need both if your in your shop alot

get an old bench grinder at a yard sale or something theres alot of them out there for cheap

#8 ·
I think that one should more closely analyze the work they do and what they really need. If you're gonna be cleaning up torch cut pieces, the belt sander might be a good purchase. If you're gonna be hogging down stuff and cleaning up lots of hardware, the bench grinder with a wire wheel can't bebeaten.

Personally, I have three bench grinders setup to do different things and can't see the immediate need for a belt sander for the work I do.

PT

#9 ·
PT, I'm going to disagree. My bench grinder hasn't even been turned on in a couple years now since I've been using the belt sander exclusively. Using a torch or plasma is quickest for cutting, but everyone has a lil shake to em, cut it big and belt sand it down to exact dimension. I use it for squaring up cuts on just about everything, its quicker than layout for square cuts on tubing, round solid, crap like that, especially pieces too short to clamp in my multi cutter saw. From rounding off 2" square solid stock for a reciever shackle, to making a simple shackle look professional, a bench grinder just aint going to cut it. Nothing deburrs faster except being a hack and using the side of the abrasive blade in a chop saw.

#10 ·
I have setup similar to what OldScout posted, use it daily in the business. Having the grinder wheel is nice to remove material quickly and rough shape but it also saves a lot of wear on the belts. The belt side I use for final finishing, rounding corners and edges.

#11 ·
Belt sander will do the flat sections the best and the fastest.... but it't won't do inner radiuses....

You really need both.... Put a wire wheel on the grider and it will come in handy..

If you really gotta pick..... 6" wide belt sander is the pick.... anything else and yousa dope.

#13 ·
PTSchram said:
OK, guess I gotta get a belt sander to go with the bench grinders:flipoff2:
After reading kwrangln's post and seeing those pics....I'm gonna have to get one too! Nice Work!

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Here's the one I use, moved it right outa the woodshop into the weld shop at work.

Just be sure to get all the sawdust out of it before using it for metal, flareups are fun.

The belts last a good while, usually self destruct due to operator stupidity, if you apply too much pressure, the joint in the belt catches the work and BOOM, belt parts go flying. Doesnt happen all that often tho. I use the disc with an 80 grit for fast material removal, and a 120 grit belt for finnish work. Still have the adjustable fence for the table which is great for squaring up the edges on pieces.

Never messed with the HF model so no personal experience with it either way. When it comes to power tools, you get what you pay for, so if you can afford the better of the two, go for it.

#16 ·
i just got the HF version of what's posted above with the 20% coupon. It's pretty nice. I killed a belt just as described :p i really like having it, and it works a lot better then I expected a belt sander to work on metal. Making tabs won't suck so much now.

#17 ·
"normal" belts seem to work fine. If you want more, here you can get any size, any quality, any grit, including those that are intended more for metal than wood:
http://www.abrasivesales.com/

They can do any size you want, I have to custom order 2x20" belts thru here for my old Rockwell unit 'cause I can't find them in production anywhere.

#18 ·
socalchef said:
i just got the HF version of what's posted above with the 20% coupon. It's pretty nice. I killed a belt just as described :p i really like having it, and it works a lot better then I expected a belt sander to work on metal. Making tabs won't suck so much now.
The $60 or the $300 one?

#20 ·
Got money for one or the other???

I'd spend the several hundreds of dollars on a belt sander 6" or 8" wide,
then spend $20 on a cheap grinder.Get a grinder with 6" wheels not 8" the cheap motor will last longer with the 6" wheels.

Then get an old wheel,a pc of scrap pipe(round or square) weld it to the wheel and weld a plate ontop with 2 holes drilled in it to mount the grinder.

Fill the wheel with either concrete or scrap steel welded to the bottom and you'll have the best of both world's.

The wheel will make moving the grinder easier.The weight will help stop it from walking around.

Bansil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.