Pirate 4x4 banner

shop layout opinions

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  zkrawler_04 
#1 ·
ok i'm buildin a shop in june so i am about to start gettin estimates and such but i thought i'd run this draft by yall first to see what yall think....

60x50x14
2-12ftx12ft doors
snap-on 14ft vehicle lift (top left corner)
those square are 20ftx8ft (same as an excab truck)
the half with the red is 1200sq ft of living space, this is also going to be my home for the next 4-5 years, i'm moving out of the parents place

let me know what yall think, what yall'd change, anything like that

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i'm missing the point of why your parking 4 rigs in your shop?????? personally i don't like deep shop. my personal taste is 30 feet deep(1 rig) and 100 ft long that equals your 60x50. problem i see is when you have a rig on the hoist everything behind it either fills up then needs to move to get rig out.

#3 · (Edited)
I'd add a second door opposing one of the other ones to allow you to "pull through" the shop, and also alleviate some of what piggy said about blocking vehicles in.

Not sure if I'd rather see a door in front of the lift, or on the other side so you can pull a truck and trailer straight in and through... But either one would help in the long run.

#4 · (Edited)
Is this just a garage for storing vehicles? Or don't you really plan to have four vehicles in there? Seems like there is no room for tools and equipment. I'd also add at least one man door into the garage side so you don't always have to run the overhead door up to get in and out.

#5 ·
I agree on a pull-thru. Do you really need 1200ft of living space? I mean it might be nice, but if this is gonna ultimately be temporary, I'd go w less to get more utility as a shop. Unless you plan to tear out the living space entirely once you're in your "permanent" situation, whatever that might be.....

#6 ·
D60 said:
I agree on a pull-thru. Do you really need 1200ft of living space? I mean it might be nice, but if this is gonna ultimately be temporary, I'd go w less to get more utility as a shop. Unless you plan to tear out the living space entirely once you're in your "permanent" situation, whatever that might be.....
I'd go taller on the shop, push the "living area" to the back, and go *up* to a loft style sleeping area. That can free up at least 400 sq/ft if not more of what you previously had as living space to be used for shop tools and such.

#7 ·
My current shop is 60 X 75. The one we're drawing up now will only be 35' deep. The deeper space I have now leads to significant wasted space. I hope to have a space 35 X 100 with the last 25' of the 100 as my machine shop and two or three overhead doors, no pull-throughs though.

I will also have an L-shaped projection to accomodate office space, etc.

#8 ·
When I eventually get to build a real shop, I'm going 40x60. I'm gonna run 3 12x14 roll ups from one edge right next to each other on each of the 60 sides, giving me 3 pull through spots, effectively. I'm doing that for cross ventilation in the summer, mainly. I figure I can put stuff and tools in front of some of the doors and that will still let me open them for ventilation. More like removable walls really. The doors will take up ~ 40' of the 60' sides. In the 20' that isn't taken up with doors I'm building a loft for storage. Under the loft will be a 20x20 area for my permanant mount tools (mill, lathe, drill press, band saw etc) and then a 20x20 area for an office/full bath.

#9 ·
the 4 rigs was just to show the capabliity, i never plan on actually having 4 rigs in there at one time, the area to the right of the lift would be my tool/work area untill i tear out the living space after i build a house, which will be built right beside the shop, then i'll use the once living space as a 2 rig garage which will leave me a 40x50 open shop, and i just prefer the deeper shop more then the long shop, and it fits the area which i'll be building it, and i've made one revision i moved the lift 1.5' away from the back wall to help with the cluter issue, and i cant make it a drive thru because of space confinement at the location

thanks for all the input, keep it coming

#10 · (Edited)
My new shop is gonna be similar to the left side of your drawing (without the living space).

The plan at the moment is to have about 10' between the doors as you show and that "strip" will be for my tools and workbenches. I really don't see why this is a bad idea, it'll keep everything centered for working on either side. My last shop had a 9' bay I took over for tools and workbench, and it seemed like plenty of room.

#11 ·
DRM said:
I'd add a second door opposing one of the other ones to allow you to "pull through" the shop, and also alleviate some of what piggy said about blocking vehicles in.

Not sure if I'd rather see a door in front of the lift, or on the other side so you can pull a truck and trailer straight in and through... But either one would help in the long run.
One bonus to making the lift-bay the drive-through would be to "offload" trailers.. drive in one side.. drive until the trailer (and the "thing" on the trailer) is inside the lift uprights, and lift it off, and drive out from under.

Handy for changing body tubs, etc. in that way, too.

#12 ·
i like that unloading trailer's idea, it would be alot easier to drive thru then it would be to try to back under the lift.....it might be possible for me to make it drive thru but i'm not for sure, i know i'd have to doze some tree's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.