Pirate 4x4 banner

bearing puller

890 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  desertsport 
#1 ·
hey guys Ive tried to search but didnt find a good enough awnser to what im looking for. Im regearing my d44, with 4.56, they broke last month and now have a new set. Im trying to do it my self, the only tools I dont have to do the install is a press and a $300 bearing puller. let me know if the is bad, to press the ring gear on to the carrier I put the diff in the freezer for 20 min and heated the ring gear with my torch, the ring gear just went on. same with the pinion gear and inner bearing. I tried to remove the pinion bearing and destroyed it with one of those 20 dollar pullers, so now i need to buy a new bearing. but my question is I dont want to spend 300+ for a bearing puller, what do you guys use or have made??

#2 ·
Can you score the pinion bearing enough to create some slack in it? That way it should have enough clearance to hopefully slide off the mounting surface.

Otherwise, take it to a drivetrain shop or a good 4x4 shop and ask them if they could do it for a small $$$ fee.

#3 ·
Aces'n'8s said:
Can you score the pinion bearing enough to create some slack in it? That way it should have enough clearance to hopefully slide off the mounting surface.

Otherwise, take it to a drivetrain shop or a good 4x4 shop and ask them if they could do it for a small $$$ fee.

what do you mean by score the pinion bearing????

#4 · (Edited)
Score or scoring is basically the process of scratching a line in something. You can score any type of material as long as its hardness permits.

You need to remove a bearing off the pinion gear. You mentioned the bearing is ruined; so you aren't worried about saving it. This opens up many possibities concerning its removal.

By scoring or even cutting it with a small cut-off wheel, you allow the bearing to distort into shapes it previously could not. In other words, its shape can go from a circle to oblong/elipse etc. This process allows it to make "clearance" on the shaft.

I'm not a machinist by any means, but I have had to remove siezed bearings from shafts many times. When a bearing puller has no "meat" to grab, sometimes this is the most efficient removal technique. If you do score/cut the bearing, take your time. You do not want to gouge into the gear.

#6 ·
The problem is I just spent too much money on tools I really didnt need, thinking I had all the tools I would need. Now I have a limited budget, so now I need a cheap way to remove bearings. Any ideas or thoughts on how to do it for under 100.

thanks for the help so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.