Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding thin stuff

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Zrock 
#1 ·
So what area some tips and tricks to welding thin stuff with my powermig 255?

I have the spot-stich option panel but never have used it (came w/welder)... Is there an online manual or can someone provide quick instructions on how to use this?

i`m going to be working on body panels soon as well as maybe some exhaust work.. :)

-Todd

#2 ·
Yes there are a couple good welding books that talk about this.

Billavista has a really good list of books. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Books/index.html I have 5 or 6 of them.

Welding Essentials: Questions & Answers is a good one. You might be able to find that one and its companion Welding Fabrication and Repair: Questions & Answers at harbor freight.

As for welding on this metal;

Heat is the enemy. So try to let it cool as much as possible. I’ve seen sheet metal welders use a small round piece of copper on a stick (handle) to draw the heat through the metal instead of melting it. Personally I haven’t used that method but it seams to work.

#6 ·
low speed, low setting, and "listen" to the weld. It makes a very distinct sound right before it will burn threw. I stop right before that sound and let it cool.

With sheet metal i only do like 1/2 inch stitches. with exhaust i can usually do the complete weld.

I an not a "pro" welder by any means but i have gotten really good at body and exhaust work. Two things that once you friends find out your fucked with all the work they will bring you :laughing:

#7 ·
Just stiched a bunch and after about 2ft of it I got pretty damn good.

Stiching thin stuff to thick stuff I`m now able to run it on the thicker metal settings, and let the puddle flow into the thin stuf gets 100% penetration pretty much I can see weld on the opposite side. I turned it down a lil so I wouldn't burn through so easy, but using hte stich method (on/off) for sheet metal I can do do it damn fast now :)

Next I`ll have to be doing THIN SHEET METAL to THIN SHEET METAL.. Probably have to be a lil more careful but atleast it's not that tuf :)

#8 ·
Good to hear.

With the thin-to-thin stuff, give it time to cool to avoid warping. My brother likes to have a buddy hold a damp rag on the back side of the metal when doing body work. Might not be the safest thing to do, but with only a little bit of time for cooling, his stuff doesn't warp.

#9 ·
TheBandit said:
Good to hear.

With the thin-to-thin stuff, give it time to cool to avoid warping. My brother likes to have a buddy hold a damp rag on the back side of the metal when doing body work. Might not be the safest thing to do, but with only a little bit of time for cooling, his stuff doesn't warp.
Sounds interesting. I just don't like getting water on recently welded surfaces if it's hot or cold hot normaly instant rusts, and cold just rusts really easy..

Oh well, picked up a bunch of 14g so it's not that thin :) I was originaly going to go with 16 but it was $7 more for the 14g sheet :grinpimp:

#11 ·
I use my welder on a med high heat same heat setting that i use on thicker metal. I use realy short spot wellds and i will work fast over a 1 inch area then move to a new area to let it cool ... turns out perfect everytime looks good and verry little grinding afterwards...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.