Pirate 4x4 banner

Air Nibblers

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Kilborg 
#1 ·
I`ve been looking at Nibblers and it seems theres a large variety just like any other air tool.

I`m wanting to do AL down to either 12g or 10g... and haven't ahd much luck finding them rated for AL.

I found this one:
http://www.wttool.com/p/3059-0835

That says it can do AL down to 10ga and steel to 16ga... Sounds good but brand unknwon?

I love my IR Air Tools but the IR ones I seem to find only do 18ga steel and 12ga AL?

What do you have, what do you like?

-Todd

#3 · (Edited)
PAToyota said:
The CP on the side suggests Central Pneumatic - one of the HF brands... Somehow I doubt the capacities listed...
That's the Chicago Pneumatic logo dude. BIG difference.

EDIT: I was able to tell from their website that's the CP835......if you Google you may find a better price altho the $165.00 looks pretty competitive.

EDIT EDIT: here's a little better, $155.00 incl shipping on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CP-Chicago-...ryZ22664QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

keyword search for cp835 nibbler if the link doesn't work.

#6 ·
I've only used a Dewalt, and it seemed to go well through 16 gauge steel. It was really fast and made a super dangerous jagged edge. I don't see the use for one, just because of all the time it would take to clean up the edge. Now, I would be interested in some power shears. It seems like their design is way cleaner.

#7 ·
Dalec said:
Now, I would be interested in some power shears. It seems like their design is way cleaner.
Definitely, but you don't have the free-hand capability you do with a nibbler. A nibbler is just short of a plasma for sheetmetal.......you can do arcs, 90's, 180's (almost at least).

The wife made this lawn spinner thing........she cut the "petals" w the nibbler and then creased them down the center in the vise

Could you have done it w a shear? Yeah, I think so.

I wouldn't argue it's a GREAT tool for a fab shop, but it's handy at times, and I just have the HF cheapie so for $30 it's definitely worth having around.

#9 ·
Was thinking about this some more...

10 ga. is a bit heavy to be using a nibbler and don't you have a plasma anyway, Todd? What would the advantage be of the nibbler over your plasma?

D60: Props to your wife for taking an interest in fab! :smokin:

#10 ·
Yeah, I have a plasma :D

I`m wanting the nibbler to do nice cuts for interior body panels.. al, steel, maybe some thinner lexan too... I think nibblers can Lexan/Plastic too right?

Yes 10ga is super thick I just want one that has the highest capacity :)

#15 ·
PAToyota said:
Not being a smarta$$, but you think a nibbler is going to do nicer cuts than plasma? That hasn't exactly been my experience.
True, I guess I need to get one of those roller wheels for the plasma so my lines aren't all shaky like they are now :( Then if this doesn't get what I want I`ll try something else, maybe just skip the nibbler and shears and save up for a press to bend, and cut.

#16 ·
Todd W said:
True, I guess I need to get one of those roller wheels for the plasma so my lines aren't all shaky like they are now :( Then if this doesn't get what I want I`ll try something else, maybe just skip the nibbler and shears and save up for a press to bend, and cut.
I use CP shears, 16 guage capacity on both.

I often use my shears instead of my plasma on thin stuff, as there is no dross or edge cleanup, or discoloration of the edge. The last is important on some of the furniture and artwork I do.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Todd,
FWIW I have some of the cheapy HF air tools, the nibbler, air shears, body saw, etc. Each one has it's use. I like the air shears for long straight cuts, they don't do well with corrigated steel, sharp bends (like body panels edges) or sharp curves. Rated for 16ga steel. I think, and I have cut some fairly thick AL diamond tread, not close to 10 ga though. Nibbler does well for sharp curves, but needs about 3/8" hole to get the head through to start cutting an inside cut. Also rated at 16 ga steel, not sure about AL,but the cutter head limits the thickness that it can cut, even though I'm sure it could nibble thicker AL. It cuts failrly smooth, but there will be little C shaped metal chips all over the place.
Another one I like is the attachment for an air chisel that has 3 prongs on it, that works well where the air shears or nibbler won't fit.

#21 ·
I've got the Blue Point (Snap On) nibbler and it works great. No raggedy issues like some of you are talking about.

I use it all the time on sheetmetal fabrication and love the ability to cut to a line in any direction. Works great for opening up fenders, etc. Cuts nice and fast as well -- about as fast as you can push it.

I had quite a few custom shops using this tool - and all loved it.

Trick is to keep the anvil lubed, and to replace it when it gets rounded off.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...9&group_ID=836&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

#22 ·
Yea a air hammer with the exhaust cutting tool works great on sheetmetal as long as you aren't cutting to thin or cutting real close to a paralell (sp?) edge.

I have an electric milaukee nibbler that i use and it goes through sheet metal like a hot knife through butter. Nice and smooth, now if i could just follow a straight line with it. The shears work hella better for straight line stuff

#23 ·
Im an ir freak but some of their shit sucks (though the majority of airtools i own are Ir).. freind of mine got the ir nibbler and it seemed to work well on light sheetmetal (16ga. if i remember) but kept snapping the centerpin. you should be able to find a higher quality unit from snappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.