Pirate 4x4 banner

O/A torch questions

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Erik D_lux 
#1 ·
I bought this torch used and when I took it into my welding supply guy he said that it was so old that I wont be able to find parts for it anymore. Can anybody confirm this? I looked online and saw a bunch of replacement parts for craftsman but dont know if they will work or not.

Its a craftsman 313.54431

Also I saw these really cheep on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Victor-Type...415000372QQcategoryZ46413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody ever used one? Are they worth it? If not should I try and find a used Victor setup or just say screw it and buy new?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I'm using my grandpa's, and no one got any new parts for his OA rig since 1955, and it's been in pretty constant use since he got it. It is a Victor, but there isn't much to fail in a torch regardless of brand.

It looks like you have standard connections at the hoses, and at the handle to torch, so if it does wear out, finding parts shouldn't be too bad. Use it as long as it works, and that should be for ever if you take good care of it. If you do manage break it, there is a pretty nice chinese kit down at HF for like $150, that should be pretty compatible with your parts.

#3 ·
Do you NEED parts for it? That torch looks almost exactly like the one I've been using since 1980, the only difference I can see is that the gas valves on mine have triangular knobs otherwise, it looks identical.

Did you get Craftsman regulators as well? My regulators have each been rebuilt, the acetylene twice, the oxygen once. My gas supplier told me they were made by a major manufacturer and parts for the regulators were very easy to get.

Peace,
PT

#4 ·
PTSchram said:
Do you NEED parts for it? That torch looks almost exactly like the one I've been using since 1980, the only difference I can see is that the gas valves on mine have triangular knobs otherwise, it looks identical.

Did you get Craftsman regulators as well? My regulators have each been rebuilt, the acetylene twice, the oxygen once. My gas supplier told me they were made by a major manufacturer and parts for the regulators were very easy to get.

Peace,
PT
I only have the one tip and my supplier said it might be good for up to 3/8" so with the rare chance I need to cut 1/2" a new tip would be nice to have.

Yeah I got the regulators too. They seem to work well.

#6 ·
If you really need parts for your old torch, just sit awhile and watch Ebay. I don't consider Ebay that great, but it is a valuable resource for NOS and good used parts for anything old.

It's hard to beat a good Victor or Harris oxy-ace torch. I purchased a like new Victor that was a demo torch from NexAir two years ago. I like the idea of flame arrestors and readily available parts.

#7 ·
Looks like a Harris to me. That's probably who made it for Craftsman. Tips should interchange even if it's 30 years old. Some of the Harris V-series torches use Victor tips, but they haven't been around as long and look different, so I doubt it's a V series. Take it to a welding supply that carries Harris tips and they should be able to hook you up no problem. AFAIK the triangular arrangement on the gas tubes was patented by Harris at one point.

Harris-Calorific is now owned by Lincoln Electric, so if you took that torch to a welding supply that carries Miller welders that's why probably they told you it was an obsolete dinosaur. A Miller dealer isn't going to help his competition. Can you blame him? - business is slow with the economy right now.

The made in China torches aren't worth the cost savings - the fit and finish on them is not as good as the torches they are copying. Be wary of torches that say "Victor style"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.