Pirate 4x4 banner

Just bought a Syncrowave 250!

860 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TheNerple 
#1 ·
Well I got jealous of my friends all having TIG welders. So after much searching around I found a used main box that came with a brand new cooler, torch, cables, foot pedal and all the upgrades for under 2K. Spent some time with it today and already am loving it! I've spent years learning to MIG weld and making it look nice, but a TIG just kicks a MIG welder's ass when it comes to "finish" quality. I highly recommend this machine. For you So. Cal. guys I recommend checking out Mobile Industrial Supply out of Aneheim. They typically by far have the best prices on used welders and seem to get a variety in on a fairly regular basis. I know they currently also have an ESAB 300 TIG that is a pretty huge machine. They also have a miller 250 TIG that is just an older model of the syncrowave, a dial arc I believe. Anyway I'm glad I took the plunge and recommend doing it.

#4 ·
Hell yea that's the machine I wanted.

messing with any aluminum? I just got a tig too mainly for aluminum. I couldn't bone up for a new 250 yet having never tig'd...I got a new lincoln 185 real cheap....hell it has cup holders :D

I'm really struggling with aluminum...of course it's been 1 day LOL.

#5 ·
I've done some aluminum (.060 5051). The initial problem is of course aluminum soaks up a lot more heat than steel. However it is really no different than welding steel. Just gotta crank on the pedal to start and back it off as the aluminum start heating up. Same as steel, but exagerated. Also I let the tungstin ball up whereas with steel you want it sharp. I'm working on keeping the bead as narrow as I can right now. TIG is just so much nicer to worth with to get a "finished" product.
I pondered getting the smaller machines, but they don't come with water cooling and I didn't want to have to upgrade, and the smaller machines are going to be more troublesome for welding thicker aluminum. I got a good price so I jumped on it. right now I have a huge cup and I think it is using up more Argon than I like so I'm going to get a smaller cup and turn down the flow. My advice about TIG is the same for any welding process, practice, practice, practice. That's pretty much the only way you get better.

#10 ·
I recommend calling around to welding repair shops in your state. the nice thing about buying from them is that you can usually demo it before you buy it, so you know what you are getting. I'm planning on getting a 4 as well. My friend runs one on his tig and runs the gas around 10-12. I'm going to experiment with the gas flow and will take some pics of the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.