Pirate 4x4 banner

Shop layout ideas wanted

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  tobbjo 
#1 ·
We've bought a small farm together with my parents.

Two houses for living and a big ass barn for wrenching and general storage.
North end of the barn is made into a heated shop. It's approx 10m by 10m (32'x32')
North end of the shop has a 4m x 4m roll up door and the south end has sliding doors opening up into the next compartment, which is 10m x 15m (32' by 50'), to be used for cold storage area of parts and tools that can stand the climate.

Roof height is 5,5m (18') in the middle and at the walls it slopes down to some 4 meters, not exactly shure of this height.

In one corner the heating system for both houses and water purification is located. The heating is by "heat pump" taking water from the lake. I don't know the proper english word but it works in basically the same principle as an AC or fridge but makes heat instead of cold. Quite the fashion in Sweden at the moment, but I prefer firing wood...

Around the heating system some sort of walls will need to be erected to protect them from dust and sparks. Atop that i sort of think about making a small office/toilet.
Furter along that wall is windows and then nothing.

Along the other wall there currently are cabinets and tool bench.

Coming from the roof and going diagonally out to the walls there are pillars supporting the roof.

I would like to keep it as uncluttered and bare as possible. Hand tools and portable power tools in rolling chests. Welder has it's own wheels and Plasma either on welder or stored in cabinet while not in use.
One or two benches with vices and hard mounted tools.
Drill press
bench shear
disk sander (2 different) (separate stands I think?)

Placed somewhere (on wheels?)
Press
parts cleaner

The following tools I think will be stored in the cold storage area and rolled into/mounted in heated shop as needed
sheet bender
tube bender
engine crane
engine stands

The fact that one corner already is occupied and two opposing walls have doors leaves only two walls (one long and one short) for stuff.

I'm thinking of keeping the bench on one end where it is and changing the short bench you see in the picture into my slightly larger one. That would leave a lot of unused bench area for cluttering, oops I meant working.
I think about getting rid of the cabinets, but perhaps I will need them...
Will get better pics and a better layout up tonight or tomorrow.

Some mor epics available at
http://www.pbase.com/tobiasbjorklind/hsthagen

Input?

Tobias

See less See more
#3 ·
I increase time to drive to work from 18 minutes today to 25 min.
Will have 5min to shops and stuff.
It's at least 10 min closer to the cheap flights airport I told you about, so by all means come by if you go to England.

T

#6 ·
I have now uploaded a layout of the shop.

The yellow box are the outer dimensions of my RRC in my avatar.

Bottom right corner is north west corner of shop where I think I'll put a bench with vice.

West wall has a larger bench I think I'll keep where bench shears and drill press will be placed.
On the lower two columns i think I will mount the two bench grinders.

Press on wheels placed in upper left corner.
Welder underneath bottom right bench, when not in use.
Tool chests placed next to press, when not in use

Lift in middle, as soon as I find one decent at CB price.
Or should it be offset, so I can keep the through opening even when lift is busy?

Tobias

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.