Pirate 4x4 banner

Ready Welder Q's

590 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  noclinkers 
#1 ·
Im picking up my ready welder tomorrow, and I have a few questions about it.

First off, I read on the website, that I can use a DC stick welder as the power supply for the welder.

Does anyone know how that works? Will I literaly use the stick welder to change the amps for the ready welder?

What is the voltage coming out of the stick welder?

I only weld about 1-2 times a month, so I feel I can get away with the ready welder being my primary welder in the garage (im buying it so I can fix my junk on the trail). Am I going to have any problems with it? Only down side I see thus far is that the gun is huge compared to the hobart 180, or the lincoln 135 Im used to using.

#2 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the biggest downside.. SIZE..

Other than that if you have a DC stick welder to hook it up to, you should be jammin. However, if you don't have a DC source to control the amperage, the ready welder is a bit of a PITA because the voltage and wire speed is int he same knob... as you increase voltage you increase wire speed. Not the end of the world, but a little annoying.

Also the wire is always hot. So if you touch something grounde, its going to go. (unless you spent the extra $100 to get the gun that doesn't do that)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.