Electrical WIring from House to Pole Barn Subpanel Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lost

Member # 6426
Electrical WIring from House to Pole Barn Subpanel Questions

I'm working on installing service to my pole building and have a few questions?

The service will be run as a subpanel - 90A breaker coming off of my 200A house feed into a subpanel in the barn. Feed is URD AL, and it is being put into conduit.

County inspector said there's no additional requirements beyond NEC. Forgot to ask the details on these questions and hoping to get this in this weekend.

1) What's the required trench depth? And is to the bottom of the trench or top of the conduit?

2) I'm also putting in a CAT 5 telephone / ethernet line. Should this be put at the same depth as the power lines or at a shallower depth. Are there any requirements?

3) For the conduit in the house & building. Is it OK to use Sch 40? I know 80 is required outside where exposed - not sure about inside.

Thanks!

3)
Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 35820
Send a message via AIM to Sound_Man
typically inside a structure has to be in EMT as PVC will put off marful toxins when it burns.

Depth On a service run, which this is, and isn't, needs to be 24" to top of pipe where driven over and 18" otherwise. Typically if you are doing your data and such at hte same time there are no code requirements, but if you run it in the same trench at hte same depth you run the risk of interference, so if in the same trench i would fill halfway then drop the data conduit in the fill the rest of the way

make sure once conduit i in the ground you fill it back in, in some areas, otherwise if it rains, the conduit will "float" to the surface, This also helps if not all to the proper depth, just fill those areas in :-) Backfilled also helps when trying to pull the cable

try to keep as few 90's as possible between LB boxes, also NEC says no more than 4 90's between boxes.

make sure you get a pull line through the pipe, get a good heavy duty pull rope w/ little stretch. to help with this use a shop vac on one end and use kite string with a baggy tied to it on the other end, the nuse the kite string to pull the rope through.

Then lots of tape and lots of lube. When taping the rope to the cables, try to stagger the cables and wrap the rope around hte cable ~2 ft and use lots of tape

just got done with this so any more questions feel free to ask
Sound_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2005, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20053
Oversize your pipe runs and use ridged steel 90's. Rope will burn through the PVC 90's on a hard pull.
make sure you backfill around the pipes with sand and bury a caution tape
12" above the pipes
while your running power make sure you run a water line, maybe a gas line. Not sure if needed but think of all the stuff now
Old 12-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lost

Member # 6426
Thanks for the replies. Helps me feel better about getting into this.

I'm looking at putting the pipe over the cable vs. trying to pull it through (~160' of #2 URD + Ground Lead). Have had a couple contractors I talked with recommend this.

Will put the data line about 1/2 depth. Does it matter if the data conduit is above or below the Red Buried Cable banner?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 35820
better to put it below it is jsut there for safety, and your piece of mind, but honestly if we are doing work on a property, we first get lines marked by city then ask home owner, and by the time we see the red tape from what the trencher left behind it's too late :-)

good luck with your thought on putting the pipe over the cable. I do this for a living and well, have fun

pulling through really isn't too hard just one person pulling and one feeding. on lines this size and run length i would use a law tractor, jeep truck winch somehting along those lines to make it easier.

We just did 2/0 - 3 pieces, and ground 250 ft took about 30 minutes to do the pull
Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11799
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87YJ
Thanks for the replies. Helps me feel better about getting into this.

I'm looking at putting the pipe over the cable vs. trying to pull it through (~160' of #2 URD + Ground Lead). Have had a couple contractors I talked with recommend this.

Will put the data line about 1/2 depth. Does it matter if the data conduit is above or below the Red Buried Cable banner?
I would put it below the banner if possible. I don't know about the NEC on this, I was told my my utility I had to be 30" because it was driven over. This was full on service entrance. So I put it at +40" and the banner at 18", as per their orders.

Long sweep sch80 90s. My utility required me to bury the conduit FIRST before they would pull. Yes I would have had to dig it up if there was a problem, but then they didn't pull it out of the ground either. They pulled 100' of SE cable in about 15 minutes.

If I had to pull #2 myself, I for damned sure would not pull it but put the conduit on first.

If you have a straight run, you could assemble the whole thing right next to the trench, then drop it in. I assembled my conduit next my trench then dropped it, then they pulled of course. But if I had to pull myself, I would just put it all together first.
rusted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 03:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5167
Send a message via ICQ to bikebumIII Send a message via Yahoo to bikebumIII
I would assemble the straight line of conduit first, then bury conduit , tape, and so one leaveing the ends unburied, so inspector can measure depth then pull wire through straight conduit, once pulled slip over 90's and glue and screw on the ridgid. This is what I do every day and it will go fast, might not even need soap. If you make up a good head you will be fine on your pull. Have a good pusher and a good puller and it will go fast. go with the depths sound man stated above. and for the phone line or low voltage do like stated above, buring half trench then put in conduit then finish burial. No interference this way, or very little with what you are working with. If you need plumbing do it also so you don't have to dig any future ditches. You can also use larger conduit, for future upgrades, leave a pull string so it will make your life easier down the road...Hope this helps...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lost

Member # 6426
I got the main cable run in today. Not much fun working in the trench / moat on the downhill end. Putting the pipe on the cable went pretty well. I ended up about 24" deep nominal - a few places it rises up to about 20" - so should make Mr inspector happy (this is all through the yard - no drives, etc). I dug the trench with the backhoe, 'cause that's what I could borrow for free. Much wider than needed, but made it easy to work in.

Now I just gotta figure out how to backfill to 1/2 depth without totally tearing up the yard (about 35F very wet ground and rain/snow right now) so I can drop in the caution banner and ethernet line.

Thanks for the suggestions / answers guys!

Last edited by 87YJ; 12-31-2005 at 12:31 PM.
87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Man
typically inside a structure has to be in EMT as PVC will put off marful toxins when it burns.
Is this really the reason? PVC is everywhere, even in roofing materials.
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 35820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxjockey
Is this really the reason? PVC is everywhere, even in roofing materials.

That is what the inspector told me, has to do with wether it is exposed or covered in the wall also
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
Out of curiousity, is there a reason you piggybacked it off the main house breaker panel?

When I did my garage panel, we ran a feed from the meter to a external fuse box located just below the meter, then from there feed into the conduit that feeds my garage.

The only downside I have to this, is that I'd have liked now to use the garage wiring to backfeed power from my generator to the house in a blackout, which I can't do.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Out of curiousity, is there a reason you piggybacked it off the main house breaker panel?

When I did my garage panel, we ran a feed from the meter to a external fuse box located just below the meter, then from there feed into the conduit that feeds my garage.

The only downside I have to this, is that I'd have liked now to use the garage wiring to backfeed power from my generator to the house in a blackout, which I can't do.
As long as it isn't a CT meter you could pull the meter and backfeed the house.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lost

Member # 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Man
That is what the inspector told me, has to do with wether it is exposed or covered in the wall also
Talked to my inspector today and he said PVC inside the house was fine. Must be different based on different codes.

Only reason I can give for why I ran a subfeed off of the house panel vs. direct to the meter is that when I talked to a couple of electrician friends, that's how they told me to do it. Never thought abour direct to the meter. Wouldn't you have to have the electric company get involved if you were messing with the meter?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 63181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87YJ
I got the main cable run in today. Not much fun working in the trench / moat on the downhill end. Putting the pipe on the cable went pretty well. I ended up about 24" deep nominal - a few places it rises up to about 20" - so should make Mr inspector happy (this is all through the yard - no drives, etc). I dug the trench with the backhoe, 'cause that's what I could borrow for free. Much wider than needed, but made it easy to work in.

Now I just gotta figure out how to backfill to 1/2 depth without totally tearing up the yard (about 35F very wet ground and rain/snow right now) so I can drop in the caution banner and ethernet line.

Thanks for the suggestions / answers guys!

Okay. Since you used a backhoe and have a wider trench, you can solve all problems easily...

First, lay the power on one side of the ditch, and the phone on the other side. This should be enough separation. (technically shouldn't matter with cat5e, but that's not important right now. )

Then, get a bunch of golf tees and peg the caution tape to the side of the trench above the power line.

Then backfill, carefully. One step, quicker, and easier. This is how we do it out here regularly and it works out good.

Oh, and hello, Pirate. Nice to meet all of you.

Last edited by KevinRM; 01-05-2006 at 06:20 PM.
KevinRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.