Ideas on Hydro Hose crimper - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Ideas on Hydro Hose crimper

i'm looking at crimpers so i can do my own hydro lines and stuff. More than likely just be using JIC and the o-ring style. prolly just JIC but anyways i have no clue when i look at these machines when they talk about the diff type dies. IE i think i read somethin about being converted to a wheather somehtin type. Some good info would be helpful
85f150dsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
There called weatherhead:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/weatherhead/

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2967
weatherhead fittings use a weatherhead crimper
parker fittings use parker crimper
gates fittings use gates crimper..

let me know what you come up with.
ive got a gates and a seperate crimper for the non conductive fittings.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota_Jim

I have seen some (OK 1) crimpers that will do more than one brand of hose/fitting

you had to look up the crimp spec but you could adjust the machine to do Gates or WH or Parker
#5280ecec.com
jstarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota_Jim

Ummmkay, So now i am a little more confused. When you say gates it makes me think of the hose.

Whats the difference in fittings? Is like the crimping area longer on one that the other? Also whats the most common one used or are they easy to get fittings everywhere? I will more than likely get the fittings froma local tractor shop in emergency but online would be better.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2967
I buy mine at hydraulic industrials up in the city.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel
Ummmkay, So now i am a little more confused. When you say gates it makes me think of the hose.

Whats the difference in fittings? Is like the crimping area longer on one that the other? Also whats the most common one used or are they easy to get fittings everywhere? I will more than likely get the fittings froma local tractor shop in emergency but online would be better.

some fittings crimp tighter due to the hose ID/OD some crimp looser

some have a bell shape at the hose end (guesing its like a strain relief????)

then you have the type of thread (jic, sae, pipe, british pipe,.........)

crimps depend on the hose/fitting spec all decisions as to what works best buy the guy/guys designing the hose

at the Parker stores in my area they have about 100 different dies, 2-3 different spacer rings and 5-6 different series of hose

under each series you have different sizes

some fittings will cross among different series some will not (same fitting, different hose, different crimp spec)

just off the top of my head

there are
Pressure washer hose
pushlock
1 wire
2 wire
3 wire
5 wire
teflon
suction
air brake

the parker book for hydraulic hose is like 1.5 inch thick.....

it aint simple.....

#5280ecec.com
Old 01-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 30115
i've used weatherhead gates and parker i think the parker products hold up the best, seen alot of gates hoses come apart
stunnin650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9123
How do the screw on type fittings (eg, the ones you buy, push one end onto the hose, clamp it in a vice & screw the end on) compare to properly crimped fittings?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2967
I just bought a t420 weatherhead crimper, 120volt pump, 5 dies, and 3 spacers this morning at an auction. I love rainy days when i can shop auctions
Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
How do the screw on type fittings (eg, the ones you buy, push one end onto the hose, clamp it in a vice & screw the end on) compare to properly crimped fittings?

if you do it correctly they are great but imho not worth it to many variables to worry about and iirc the push on are fine for low pressure stuff. your fitting and hoses need to be the same brand and your crimper also needs to crimp said brand. also make a list of what your crimping most size and psi and use cause that will play a role in what hose you'll need and what size wire hose you'll need. i'd go to the local hydraulic shop or call and get a salesman out and go over it all. it can be confusing to say the least.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarnes
the parker book for hydraulic hose is like 1.5 inch thick.....

it aint simple.....

well i never had to worry about it before as the place i worked at had spools of hose and bins of fittings. Just grab and make what ya need, i never knew there was all the different ones till i started looking at crimpers.

So i guess i will go talk to the palce where i am buying my fittings and see what kind they sell or have a better veriety of.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 37168
I use to make hose for a small production shop. Made hoses for Snow groomers and heavy construction equipment ( GATES brand ). The twist on type hose ends are ok for 3/8 and 1/2 anything smaller or larger was a pain. Twist on was mainly used for field repair usally temp. The hose had a cloth like cover and was only single braid, lower pressure type. When twisting them in the smaller hose it always get buched up inside the hose and sometimes plugged the hose or restricted flow. Larger hose always got to be tough to twist in the last couple of threads. Bigger wrench helped but sometimes it would just break the fitting all together.

Go with hydraulic crimp type, much safer. Check out some hydraulic hose shops, they mite have a old crimp unit they would sell. I know our shop started small and was always getting new, bigger and faster ( some of the machines would crimp in less than a sec.). The old small machines all got pushed into the corner and forgotten.

If your planning on selling to the public or any production, check into a dealership. Depending how much you sell will depend on the $$$$. Sell more and you'll need to satisfy the backers of the dealership. We had to burst test hose in a special pressure tester for every 100 hoses sold. Got to be a pain, but the 4 braided hose burst (20000psi) got to be very loud and cool. A lot of record keeping on the burst testing just satisfy engineering and legal stuff for GATES. Hydraulic hose failure can be serious and life threatening.
Rowdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie
If your planning on selling to the public or any production, check into a dealership. Depending how much you sell will depend on the $$$$.
you wouldnt believe the mark up in hose/fittings
#5280ecec.com
Old 01-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarnes
you wouldnt believe the mark up in hose/fittings

iirc we charges 200% and hose lenghts where in equal foot amounts so a 18" hose was billed as 2 units of hose or 2'. so if we bought hose at a buck a foot and each fitting was 2.50 that hose was $14
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Interesting thread. I just discovered that the last hose I had made was leaking at both ends where it was crimped. The shop that made it has only one guy that builds the hoses and he has been doing it for YEARS. Go figure. So I decided to make all of my own hoses from rebuildable ends this time. Atleast it it springs a leak on my full hydro I can fix it on the trail.

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote