Pirate 4x4 banner

show your hand made tools

2M views 771 replies 286 participants last post by  ZAG 
#1 ·
Me 1st:D

ok I needed a hand reamer
mine was too long and shaft a tad to big in diameter to fit a tap t handle.
So 1st I cut it in half, try bandsaw knowing it will dull the blade.........doh! wipped off all the teeth:flipoff2:
4" cutoff wheel, 5 seconds done:smokin:

then I fire up the 135 hobart that been unused last 4 months,tack on an old 1/2 bolt that I had turned the hex head off with my lathe for another project.
! bam done:)

works perfect to ream out the last 5 thou

Attachments

See less See more
#124 ·
If you're worried about that, unscrew the knob and replace it with a suitably sized bolt. Weld to that. If the pliers ever fail, unscrew the bolt, screw in the knob, and take it in.

Of course, by that time you've likely forgotten where you stored the knob for safe keeping... :)

#126 ·
btt.

had to pull my tranny/klune/205 outtah the buggy this weekened and didnt feel like fucking with all that weight and my hangover.

couple hours and she was on the floor with no problems. i dunno why i never did this before but FAWK messing with blocks of wood and a floor jack. grabbed a bunch of scrap outth the pile and VIOLA.

and shes out.

#134 ·
Here are a few pictures of the homemade sheetmetal brake that I made a couple weeks back. I found myself in the need of bending a 18" wide piece of 1/16" plate. So I built this tool out of a 2 foot long piece of old CJ-7 bumper that I had laying around, 2 - 24" long pieces of 3" x 1/4" wall angle iron, 2 hinges I got from Home Depot for $1.09 ea, and a couple 5/8" dia bolts that are 1 1/2" long with wing-nuts to lock the material in place for bending. I then used some 3/4" cold rolled square tube that I had laying around in the shop to make the handles for the brake. And put it all together and this is what you get...........
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Machine Vehicle
Metalworking hand tool Tool Tool accessory Machine tool

Table Machine Flooring Glass Metal
Machine Planer Thickness planer Metalworking hand tool Wood shaper

As you can see from the material I am holding it easily bends a 90degree bend on this plate that is just a little bit thicker than 1/16" but not quite at thick as 1/8" plate. The bend itself was quite effortless too.... so for a tool that was build out of spare parts and took me only an hour to design and build..... I think it is a success. Also when you consider that I have about $30 invested into this sheet metal brake as opposed to even the cheepy Harbor Freight unit that is about $150. Not a bad price either!!!!
I am considering building them and selling them.... just a simple basic tool for the every man kind of shop that wants the ability to bend simple metal. Anyone interested??
Thanks,
Matt

#137 · (Edited)
Hey turbo sniper, stack your pics so it's easier to read.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about the sheetmetal brake I made awhile back:

3" Channel I had laying around, some bits and pieces, a piece of 1.25x.25 angle and some C-clamps, welded a chunk of 1" square tube on the bottom to slide a 4' chunk of pipe for a handles:

Antique tool

Steel Metal Tool accessory Tool Wood

Tool Machine Machine tool Bumper

Machine

It's will fit a 48" wide piece, the intent was to bolt/clamp the feet down, but it was wider than my bench, so I stuck it in the vise.

#158 ·
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25/rigger777/CIMG0018.jpg

Heres my tube bender. It's made of 2x2 tube and 3/4" plate and a hf air ram. It uses jd2 model 3 dies and cost me about $150 plus dies of course!
Looks good! Do you have some more pictures of it and some measurements? Im in the process of building my own tube bend also

#167 ·
#162 ·

Attachments

#164 ·
When I was working on my pinion brakes and needed a pinion flange to get the mounting of the rotor sorted out. Only problem was I don't have a 2-1/4" socket handy, the thirds are loose so no way to get them to hold still, and the nuts are stupid tight.

Basically the recipe here is.
A piece of 2-1/4" exhaust tube, 6 pieces of 1/4" flat stock 1-1/4" long, welder, and some scrap boxtube.
The pictures tell the rest, the second piece is to lock the pinion still so that I could pull the nut, and it bolts to the flange itself.

#313 ·
When I was working on my pinion brakes and needed a pinion flange to get the mounting of the rotor sorted out. Only problem was I don't have a 2-1/4" socket handy, the thirds are loose so no way to get them to hold still, and the nuts are stupid tight.

Basically the recipe here is.
A piece of 2-1/4" exhaust tube, 6 pieces of 1/4" flat stock 1-1/4" long, welder, and some scrap boxtube.
The pictures tell the rest, the second piece is to lock the pinion still so that I could pull the nut, and it bolts to the flange itself.
Very nice improvised socket!

Added to the database at homemadetools.net: Homemade 2-1/4" Socket

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.