Pirate 4x4 banner

show your hand made tools

2M views 771 replies 286 participants last post by  ZAG 
#1 ·
Me 1st:D

ok I needed a hand reamer
mine was too long and shaft a tad to big in diameter to fit a tap t handle.
So 1st I cut it in half, try bandsaw knowing it will dull the blade.........doh! wipped off all the teeth:flipoff2:
4" cutoff wheel, 5 seconds done:smokin:

then I fire up the 135 hobart that been unused last 4 months,tack on an old 1/2 bolt that I had turned the hex head off with my lathe for another project.
! bam done:)

works perfect to ream out the last 5 thou

Attachments

See less See more
#169 ·
i've used the vehicle press before too. we were breaking down an mrap tire and the runflat/beadlock (think humvee rim on steroids) wouldnt let the tire come off. we tried chaining the rim to one 7ton and the tire to another then doing a tug of war. we actually tore the rim where the chain passed though (1/4" grade 90) i ended up putting the tire on jackstands and using the 7 ton truck and a 20 ton bottle jack to press the rim out. other than that a humvee rear bumper (ambulance and up-armored models as well as 1152's) work well for bending small stuff like rebar, flat stock, 1/2" tubing, etc. for a sheet metal brake i use bed frame angle iron and a boat trailer with probably a 4" c channel frame. basically just put the sheet metal between the 2 and hammer the angle iron over the corner of the trailer frame. i also made a bead unintentionally this way doing my trans tunnel. my measurement was off so after i made the bend i had to flatten it out some and try again. that's just using 20 gauge though

#173 ·
i agree about those jack stands. i dont even trust them completely even at the stock height. at any rate i also made this to reach the bottom bolt on my ve injection pump. i was half tempted to get that new wrench craftsman came out with even though it's chinese. this is made in china too but was free and i dont plan on using it much. most people use a dog bone or s wrench but i have an air compressor instead of a vacuum pump.

#177 ·
The finished toolpost, a differant style radius cutter that will do both convex and concave radii, a three piece set of .500" inserted cutters and a toolpost indicator holder.

Attachments

#179 ·
Horizontal grinder, Sidewinder lll, my 3rd version in the evolution. I build custom knives and a horizontal grinder is a valuable tool, it sees a lot of use. It's powered by a 1hp VFD and changes from a small wheel to a more conventional horizontal grinder. The contact wheels are on their own tool arm an are quickly changed out to different diameter wheel when needed.

mike

#188 ·
I had to build some fenders for a sand dragster and didn't have a brake. So I threw this one together. So far I have bent 12 gage x 24" with no problems. The widest bend is 44"

I made some 2",4",6",8" and 10" angles so I can brake boxes and stuff as well.

#189 ·
I REALLY like that setup and I think I could put that together myself as well. Any chance you could take some more detailed pics of it? Particularly of the hinge setup? Any possibility you might be able to throw a small piece of metal in there just to show me how it starts out when performing a bend? For some reason I can't quite grasp the full operation of it:homer: Thanks if you're willing to do it:D

#203 ·
that ax is the cats ass! i absolutely love when this thread comes up.what wood is the handle made from? and how is the detail done on the head? or is that trade secret type stuff.

#196 ·
Thanks! It was an order and not available...I need to get some good pics before the new owner picks it up.

Ritter4.0, Grinding a knife from a leaf spring is a good start, you'll learn a lot. My first knife was a Caterpillar head bolt I heated with a rosebud and hammered it into a blade...well...sort of...:homer:

I'm a full-time knifemaker, have been for about 10 years, I was a heavy equipment field mechanic until a back injury ended that career.

#212 ·
Garage fab slip roll

I needed some 15" wide 6 lug rims for sand tires...kinda spendy. So I made a slip roll that would bend 3/16" x 8" and made my own rims.
I get teased for saveing old broken axels and busted t-cases, but this was almost all made with used junk from around the shop. The only $ was a couple of pices of flat bar and a few new bolts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.