Pirate 4x4 banner

show your hand made tools

2M views 771 replies 286 participants last post by  ZAG 
#1 ·
Me 1st:D

ok I needed a hand reamer
mine was too long and shaft a tad to big in diameter to fit a tap t handle.
So 1st I cut it in half, try bandsaw knowing it will dull the blade.........doh! wipped off all the teeth:flipoff2:
4" cutoff wheel, 5 seconds done:smokin:

then I fire up the 135 hobart that been unused last 4 months,tack on an old 1/2 bolt that I had turned the hex head off with my lathe for another project.
! bam done:)

works perfect to ream out the last 5 thou

Attachments

See less See more
#354 ·
Today's tool project...ratchet driven die holder. I have an exhaust stud that I need to chase and there it no way a regular die holder will fit in there.

Started with a couple inch long piece of 1.25x.250 wall. Bored one end out to fit the common small die size which is about .980. Bored the other side out so I could sink in/center a $1 harbor freight 17mm socket, welded the socket it and drilled/tapped the side for a 10-32 set screw to lock down the die.

I can use it on a ratchet or chuck it up in my lathe using a 3/8-1/4 socket drive adaptor in the tailstock chuck

Attachments

#356 ·
I figured they probably did but it gave me an excuse to play with my new lathe.....plus I can turn mine with a ratchet

#360 ·
No but you could easily make one without a lathe. The dies I made it for are just under 1"od. You could use a piece of 1.25"x .120 Dom and internally sleeve it with 1" to create the step, just drill a hole in the 1.25 and plug weld the 1" in place..

another advantage I thought of vs the one "gozuk" posted is mine can thread over 2" deep but the production one looks like it is only good for maybe 3/4"

It is also now tested and proven, worked great for chasing the threads on the exhaust stud.

#361 ·
I have to take the bottom ends off my coilovers this weekend and I don't have soft jaws for my vice.....took a piece of plastic cutting board I had left over from another project and cut some appropriately sized chunks out of it. It was the kind with the juice drain channels which are perfect for cradling the shock shaft.

Attachments

#362 · (Edited)
Here's a few things I've crafted recently:

Fairly run-a-da-mill semi truck brake drum stand for a grinder/vice but for a tall person.

Needs to be drilled with patterns still.
Floor Wheel

Goliath tube bender stand for hydraulic jd2 style bender, also somewhat tall

Table Vehicle Wood Plywood Furniture

Mousetrap

Office supplies Wheel

A wagon/cart I made for junk yards/swap meets/shop duty. Has a jeep unit bearing for a pivot a removable handle and a functioning tailgate. Proven to be extremely handy.
Transport Product Wheel Vehicle Cart

All made from mostly salvaged materials and remnants

#382 ·
Here's a few things I've crafted recently:

A wagon/cart I made for junk yards/swap meets/shop duty. Has a jeep unit bearing for a pivot a removable handle and a functioning tailgate. Proven to be extremely handy.
View attachment 1114241

All made from mostly salvaged materials and remnants
Got anymore pics of that cart and how you structured it? I dig that and the idea has been floating in my head for a while now; particularly with that hub bearing concept. I'd be grateful to see some pics of the bottom side of it.

#367 ·
another.

not so much hand made but, re-purposed.

parts washer.
Sink Property Furniture Room Plumbing fixture

Wheel Automotive wheel system Tire Shoe Rim

Floor Flooring Tile Paint Concrete

made from:

free cabinet
salvaged casters
moms old kitchen sink
xj fuel pump
battery
wire/switch
5 gal. bucket
old radiator hose
old spray paint
some other random shit

has a wand and a flow-thru brush.

pressure could be better but it works. needs a filter a cover, and some solvent.

cost=$0:grinpimp:

#369 ·
I built a press for making kydex holsters and sheaths.
1/4" plate constuction, 1" ram with tapered wheel bearing on the end.
Extremely smooth operation.

That thing looks awesome...I really need to make one of those. What kind of foam are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.