Pirate 4x4 banner

show your hand made tools

2M views 771 replies 286 participants last post by  ZAG 
#1 ·
Me 1st:D

ok I needed a hand reamer
mine was too long and shaft a tad to big in diameter to fit a tap t handle.
So 1st I cut it in half, try bandsaw knowing it will dull the blade.........doh! wipped off all the teeth:flipoff2:
4" cutoff wheel, 5 seconds done:smokin:

then I fire up the 135 hobart that been unused last 4 months,tack on an old 1/2 bolt that I had turned the hex head off with my lathe for another project.
! bam done:)

works perfect to ream out the last 5 thou

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How 'bout a homemade D44 locknut spanner:

welded this in the bottom for 1/2" drive:

I don't have any pics of SEVERAL wrenches I've sectioned and welded back together to make stubbies.

Here's a swivel head ratchet handle w a socket welded to it to access an a-arm bolt on my old Audi:

any ratchet head was too large to fit in the access hole.

#7 · (Edited)
Dazz said:
THat is a kick ass tool! I should have thought of that before I went out and bought one for the D60.:cool2:
Not really. The 1/2" drive isn't centered, so using it with an impact is, um, not fun. Plus its' all mild steel so I bet the tabs would bend pretty easy. For the time it took me I shoulda just ponied up $20 at Autozone. But I don't run any D44s so I couldn't bring myself to buy one - it was for a friend's project

Houlster's tool is sweet tho!

#8 ·
cool keep um coming, mine ain't purty, and neither are the others so far:D

I neded mine right now, guessing so did the others, I also made a lathe chuck ket t handle, cut 2 pieces of 1/4" stock, and slightly ground end to fit, ugle but it works as I needed it "right now":)

#9 · (Edited)
D60 said:
For the time it took me I shoulda just ponied up $20 at Autozone.
I just bought a brand new d44 and 14bolt AC Delco brand socket for $6 each a few weeks ago to keep in the trail tools :D.

My homemade spanner wrench and splined 1/4" drive "socket" for adjusting in-lb preload when rebuilding a saginaw pwr steering box.

Attachments

#10 ·
I made some giant snapring pliers once...

Scrap steel, 4" grinder, 1/4" drill, sawzall, and Readywelder.
The welded-in pivot pin had a lot of play in it so I wrapped some steel wire through the hole in one handle behind the pivot to keep the 'jaws' stable relative to one another. This picture doesn't show the beveled-down ends of the pins on the end, or how they're slightly angled in so they won't slip out of the holes. It's ugly, but it worked.
These were barely long enough to bust loose a rust-siezed 3" diameter snapring. The snapring was on the back side of a small Garrett turbo compressor housing, and its edges were beveled to take up any slack. A hefty steel snapring in a beveled aluminum groove can put up one hell of a fight, but a ghetto tool and some cussing did the trick.

#11 · (Edited)
I threw together a bootyfab welding turntable from stuff sitting around the garage to weld 1/2" dia rock rings onto my wheels.

Used a 2x8 piece of lumber as the base, mounted a piece of 3/4" shaft stock with an 8" wheel from a cart and an old chevy rotor hat.
At the other end, I mounted a speed adjustable medical irrigation pump on it's side and gutted the pump assy so the driveshaft is accessible. Used a hummer wheel O-ring as the drive belt. The wheel can turn as slow as 1/8 rpm to a whopping 12 rpm. A potentiometer controls the speed anywhere in between. I used a jackstand to rest the welding gun on to keep steady.

The thing works great.

Best part is, painting them up is a breeze with the thing spinning around.

It looks a little hokey, but served it's purpose.

Edit: attached new image before photobucket deletes it.

Attachments

#12 ·
xjmark said:
I threw together a bootyfab welding turntable from stuff sitting around the garage to weld 1/2" dia rock rings onto my wheels.

Used a 2x8 piece of lumber as the base, mounted a piece of 3/4" shaft stock with an 8" wheel from a cart and an old chevy rotor hat.
At the other end, I mounted a speed adjustable medical irrigation pump on it's side and gutted the pump assy so the driveshaft is accessible. Used a hummer wheel O-ring as the drive belt. The wheel can turn as slow as 1/8 rpm to a whopping 12 rpm. A potentiometer controls the speed anywhere in between. I used a jackstand to rest the welding gun on to keep steady.

The thing works great.

Best part is, painting them up is a breeze with the thing spinning around.

It looks a little hokey, but served it's purpose.

that is badass:smokin:

#15 ·
welndmn said:
DR had a great post a few years ago, he made a chinkadaroo or something.
he made a small asian man?????????:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: He must be good with his hands:eek:

#16 · (Edited)
While rebuilding my W56-D.

Needed a longer puller them my 6" HF special to remove this sucker:

Made an extension for my puller but broke the arm. Damit!

Looked at the FSM and copied the Toyota SST using scrap and long bolts. I used four 1/4: plates, weld two together then drill. :

Can I get a hell yes!. I thought it wasn't going to work. The puller I made was about to bend. It made a loud crack and moved the bearing about 1mm. It was much easier after that.

#18 ·
Here's my steering wheel puller. Couldn't get that sucker off at 10pm on a Sunday night, so took 5 min to 'fab' this puller.

Homemade hunting knife made from an old file. The bigger one on the bottom was made on a forge and anvil by an old 'smith. I used a 4" grinder to shape the smaller one.

Attachments

#20 ·
Here are a couple I made. First one is a semi-purpose puller. Made on the cnc mill. he 3/4"x16 center bolt I turned out of 3/4" round, and cut the bolt head in a compound mill. The second pic is a vice handle base for a a bench vise. I have three 4" handles with knobs on the ends that thread into the holes. Made it on the lathe and compound mill as well. The puller's been in my tool bag in my rig for a while and got a little rusty.

#21 · (Edited)
All I have to share is a bearing splitter, a spanner for Chevy IFS carrier bearings, and a GM tool J26252 (removes governor bushing from a Gov-Bomb)nowhere near as cool as Blueballs 5 speed tubing bender . Very cool idea using a Toyota transmission on the bender. Seriously, what did the gears come from?

Product Table Metal

Auto part Metal Pipe

Can'tfind the spanner pic..I'll add it later.

#22 ·
Wheel bearing socket for a pathfinder, guy at work traced the nut and brought in the tracing, worked from that.

Had to use 2 pieces of tubing sleeved together, drilled through em long ways to use a couple drill bits as the pins.

Then we have the louver die for the ole shop press.

Makes these.

#23 · (Edited)
I did all my axle work on this thing from disassembly and cleaning, to bracket work, to hanging the axles under the rig. It's One of the most labor saving tools I have put together. Ever tried positioning a D60 on a floor jack?

(posted up earier this year, but the thread is buried)
I converted an old folding chair cart into a rolling axle stand.
Welded an angle iron upright with a 3" muffler clamp to the base.
The other (left) upright is welded to a sliding mount that can be moved from 6" to 48" apart to fit any axle/bracket combo. The muffler clamps lock the axle in place, and is good for grinding, setting up brackets, or gear setup. The axle can rotate 360* and lock into place with the twist of a 9/16 wrench.
Moving the whole thing around without losing preset working angles is a piece of cake.

Edit: attached image before photobucket deletes it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.