Who makes the quietest air compressors? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
Send a message via AIM to foley
Who makes the quietest air compressors?

I can find lots of specs on the web, but none that tell me what I want to know.

I'm air compressor shopping and I want one that's quiet. I've been getting by with a craftsman 2hp oilless unit, but that SOB is looooouuuuuuudddddddd, and it drives me nuts. I'm moving to a new shop and want to get the compressor setup before the "new shop" motivation wears off. My real needs are about 2-3x the air output of the craftsman one that I've got now, so I guess I'm shopping in the 5 hp range.

I live in the country and the compressor will be mounted under a covered shelter / shed on the side of the shop, but will not be in an enclosed room. I don't want the neighbors a mile away to be able to hear the thing when it kicks on at night.

Any brand recommendations? Any websites or other sources that compare the noise level of the tools? Any vendors on PBB like we have rig part vendors?

I'm not too picky about the pricetag, my initial research tells me I'll be paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 for a good compressor like this, and I'm comfortable with that.

Thanks for any help,

Mike
foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17200
In general oiled belt driven units will be quieter than oilless direct drive.
Static-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48424
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...492&&showall=1

Personally, I'm going to be getting an Eaton compressor for the new garage.
I Love Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Grits
Personally, I'm going to be getting an Eaton compressor for the new garage.
I have an Eaton, and its the quietest compressor I've ever been round. I've answered the phone with it running and been able to have a converstaion standing right next to it. On top of that, they are bad ass compressors
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.

Last edited by Proeliator; 11-20-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
I saw a rerun of Horsepower TV this last weekend, they had a Quincy in the shop which they claimed was very quiet - I don't recall the specs - but it didn't look like a compressor, it looked like a small box on a big box. Honestly it looked like a waste of $ to me, if you've got reason to have a compressor that big or expensive, you should have the know-how to remote locate your compressor (ie outside) and run air inside. They were all happy about how it could be right in the shop and I didn't see the appeal. They also gave no useful specs (gee, like CFM) but said it can put out 175psi, showing they clearly had no idea, or they felt their audience was too stupid to understand. But then again they were also bragging about their Lincoln wire feed in their "fabrication" area, complete w pretty checkered floor Those guys don't fabricate shit, it's bolt-on TV. Wait, what the fawk was I talking about???

Honestly dude I'd buy the compressor you like the most for price vs CFM, and worst case you have to build a little enclosure for it if you feel it's too loud. There's several threads out there about people doing this....
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 10462
2-stage oil driven you'll be good to go. Be careful about mounting it outside, can pull in a lot moist air, condensate more in the tank and in the lines. Plus if it's cold enough the compressor's oil thickens up and doesn't flow nearly as well. Buddy killed his that way by locating in an insulated addition to his shop.
AthlonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14364
Quincy are very good, and very quiet pumps but I doubt one can be had for anywhere near a grand.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonAJ
Plus if it's cold enough the compressor's oil thickens up and doesn't flow nearly as well. Buddy killed his that way by locating in an insulated addition to his shop.
*Maybe,* but I see lots of compressors sitting next to the building here in Colo and northern NM, some for as long as I can remember (10+ years) at businesses which have clearly been operating every day for that time period. Our winters are surely not as bad as yours, but it still gets below freezing every night.

Humidity is a foreign concept here so moist air is less of a concern.

Plus many of us on the board I would think don't have great heat or immediate heat in our shops........if my wood stove hasn't been going for a bit the compressor would be running in the cold, and if I'm only gonna be in the shop for a short period I'm not gonna bother w a fire.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
scottz has a 2 phase quincy, it is very quite, I have a 3 phase quincy and it is very very quite. I think the quitest one i used was the one at the shop next door. I never heard it running cause I was stealin the air from their shop
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Rotary compressors tend to be quieter than the reciprocating variety. Reciprocating belt driven compressors tend to be quieter than the oilless compressors.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 34363
also, 2-stages are quiter than single stage compressors. at least our rebranded napa compressor at the shop is
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Eaton compressor. I ordered a new 18cfm pump from these guys. When it got to me, one of the bottom flanges was broke. I called Matt at eaton and explained the problem. He told me if it was bolted up with three bolts it would eventually fail and sent me a replacment. Very stand up company!! And it is sooo! quiet when it runs. I love it. And their customer service rocks!
rockdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
Quincy with the optional silencer fitting. I could talk on the phone standing in between the two here at work. Shot you could here a mouse fart after they start spinning. Other than that just go with any belt driven two stage compressor and insulate. I ran the oilless crap for a little while and ended up giving it away because of the noise. The belt driven one is much better. I am about to upgrade to a larger 2 stage and put it in the shed outside the garage so I won't hear a thing.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
I just got a quote from Eaton for a 13cfm, 5 hp, 60 gallon unit for $500 + shipping. I'm thinking it'd be big enough to do what I need done. About the biggest drain it would ever see is running the air/hydro pump on my bender and my plasma cutter at the same time, and that would be VERY rare. Right now my little craftsman compressor (6.4 CFM @ 90 psi) keeps up with either of those tools individually.

What size units are you guys running, and what type of tools are you running off them?

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 72707
took a look at eatons site. They have a nice 135psi 3 cylinder model for under 1000. They have a nice 2 stage model for 1100 that turns like 600 rpm

Last edited by X-Rated; 11-21-2006 at 08:39 AM.
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60
I saw a rerun of Horsepower TV this last weekend, they had a Quincy in the shop which they claimed was very quiet - I don't recall the specs - but it didn't look like a compressor, it looked like a small box on a big box. .

it was a badass rotary compressor, which works great if you are using alot of High CFM toys.

But i would buy whatever compressor fit my output that i needed. For sound i relocated mine out of the garage so it was eating as much dust and other things. Now i never hear it and flip a switch when i want it on.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 912
I don't have direct expierience w/ Eaton, but thier specs convince me. they use larger pumps & turn thier compressors WAY slower than most others & that makes them much quiter as well as adds longevity.

I have a 2-stage 10hp Shulz that turns at 1240 rpms & that sucker is as loud than my old craftsman 6hp oilless. Its more tollerable since the noise is at a lower frequency, But I'm sure my nieghbors hear it. (Its like a Harley compared to a 2 stroke dirt bike)

I would go Eaton all the way & sice you have to pay freight anyways I would jump up to thier 2-stage 5hp or 7hp.

When my pump goes i'll be getting an Eaton pump.
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 28130
Shipping on those eatons would probably be spendy ??

The local orscheln's has a Quincy in stock. IIRC the price is right at $1500. It is al USA made with a baldor motor. Looks like a nice unit. Specs are 17.2 at 175, 2 stage, 7hp if my memory stored it all right. Remember pump RPM was 992.

There are times I really get tired of waiting on the old Sandborn to catch up. It is a small twin cylinder belt drive. have had it 13 years now and it is starting to get slow.

Last edited by andyr354; 11-21-2006 at 10:40 AM.
andyr354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by foley
I just got a quote from Eaton for a 13cfm, 5 hp, 60 gallon unit for $500 + shipping. I'm thinking it'd be big enough to do what I need done. About the biggest drain it would ever see is running the air/hydro pump on my bender and my plasma cutter at the same time, and that would be VERY rare.
You never run a die grinder? That's likely the biggest draw many home shops see, cheap ones can pull 20cfm + at load.

Plasmas don't take much air, probably no more than 7cfm for something that can cut approx 1".
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
got the shipping quote... $175 to ship the whole unit with 60 gal tank, $308 to ship only the motor and pump... WTF??? Since I already have 2 30 gal tanks available I was considering just getting the pump and motor from them, but it's gonna end up being cheaper to get the tank with their unit. I'm still considering plumbing in the other 2 tanks with the rest of the system on ball valves, that way for long weekends in the shop or when I have extra hands working I can open up the extra tanks and have more reserve capacity.

As for the other units, they're spec'd to output more air, but are actually noisier than the unit I've already priced out, not that 1 db is a big deal, but I don't want to spend more money to buy more air compressor than I really need.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60
You never run a die grinder? That's likely the biggest draw many home shops see, cheap ones can pull 20cfm + at load.

Plasmas don't take much air, probably no more than 7cfm for something that can cut approx 1".
I use one, but only when I absolutely have to, they go in the same category as my sawzall and my existing oilless air compressor, really noisy and they bug me. At least with my grinder I just pick up the ear protectors at the same time as the safety glasses, so it doesn't give me headaches and wear out my eardrums as fast.

All the same though, for the draw that it'll likely see from the whiz wheel, or some of my other airtools, maybe I ought to step up a bit in size.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by foley
What size units are you guys running, and what type of tools are you running off them?

Mike
I'm running this one: http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172993.htm

With an outfput of a true 20cfm at 100psi, it handles whatever I throw at it, including my air over hydro model 4 bender which is the biggest pig.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator
I'm running this one: http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172993.htm

With an outfput of a true 20cfm at 100psi, it handles whatever I throw at it, including my air over hydro model 4 bender which is the biggest pig.

is it pretty quiet? I have a little piece of shit 4 gallon 6cfm at 90 oiless compressor now. Sucks, Hate it, going to go bigger. I want to buy my last air compressor in a decade or 2, but at the same time, dont want to buy a lot more than I need. I want to run my air over hydro bender, sand blaster, and die grinder without worry

Last edited by X-Rated; 11-21-2006 at 12:43 PM.
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 50092
Kaeser makes some bad ass rotarry screw compressors. We have two at work. Takes up slightly more floor space than a window air conditioner and they are 2-3 feet tall. Quiet as hell, makes my eaton sound like some sears portable haha

The eaton has been great, pretty quiet too. Im still going to pipe it outside because Im thinkin it will be almost silent when I do. I know a guy with a big 7.5hp IR compressor in his shop thats piped outside and its actually louder outside than it is standing with your ear right up to the compressor.

Jim
Kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
is it pretty quiet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator
I have an Eaton, and its the quietest compressor I've ever been round. I've answered the phone with it running and been able to have a converstaion standing right next to it.