Pirate 4x4 banner

top 5 tools

2K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  glfredrick 
#1 ·
heres something ya'll might have fun with... i'm getting married in May and along with weddings come showers, and, if you're lucky, a TOOL shower. now, what i want to know is what are the top 5 things you would register for if you were in my situation. for some level of control, lets assume i'll register at either lowes or home depot. post up!

#2 ·
Dewalt or Milwaukee portaband. Now that I have two I use them more than anything else! They are great for notching, great for cutting tube, great for cutting plate for brackets, they save SO MUCH time over a sawz-all and money too. The blades are about $5 each (in lots of 3 from amazon) and last TONS longer than any sawz-all blade.

I would also say 4.5" angle grinders. Get a 8.5amp milwaukee or the 12amp if you can standt he weight. The dewalt (biggest) is nice too.

I can't wait until I can get a v28 Lithium portable 4.5" ANgle grinder from milwaukee.

Other things that are awesome are hose reels.. air and power:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46320
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46104
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91470

They really help clean up the shop/work area and don't make you crazy looking for plugs.

Tons of air tools are nice too :)

That should start..

-Todd

#4 ·
OBDII scanner-not the super cheap $50 kind-but the ones in the 100-200 range are usually good enough. (MAC ET series)

Wireless internet added to the house and a beat up laptop in the garage to access forums for fixes and pics without tracking through the house. Also good for garage music playlists and accessing teh PRON.

Tire spoons

Hydraulic press

inside and outside MIC's or callipers

Multimeter

#6 ·
Welder / provided you know how to weld.
Drill press / lower rpm the better.
4 1/2 angle grinder / with plenty of cut off wheels.
air compressor/ the bigger the better.
air tools / impact,die grinders,drill.
bench vise
bench grinder
3 ton floor jack/ jack stands
on and on and on
You cannever have to many tools.

#7 ·
What I am always using the most:

1. HH175 welder
2. HF orange 4.5" grinder
3. Plasma
4. good selection of clamps
5. measuring tools (angle finder, tape measures, roll of string, level) They are some of the cheapest tools in the shop but indispensable.

Gotta add number 6 as my HF 4x6 bandsaw.

#11 ·
Other than electric/air stuff, the toolset that I used most is the 180 degree swivel head ratchet wrenches. They make pretty large sizes now.

The big hardware I've used most were the horizontal bandsaw (get something with a good, finely tuneable hydraulic drop and reliable lubrication system so you can set it and walk away), vertical bandsaw, abrasive saw, drill press, blasting cabinet (the kind that's like an enormous clothes dryer--shut the door, set the timer and walk away), and Bridgeport (good luck with those last two). Somebody else was doing the bending and welding, or else those (bender, welder) would be at the top of the list since you can always use small power tools to cut material if you're lacking $ or space.

Power tools it's always the 4.5" grinder that I use most, then the air grinder, followed by the sawzall and the air body saw. A great tool is a low profile 90* air drill...with a single flute cutter you can put a hole just about anywhere, the head is only about 1.5" thick or something, including the bit.

Mini grease guns, like the Mac Tools kind Budd was selling for a while, are great...carrying case with space for two spare tubes and everything. They fit anywhere and that Green Grease really is great stuff.

For little stuff...a guy can never have too many magnetic welding angles, bottle openers, c-clamps, vise grips, air tools or beer fridges.

#12 ·
from home depot:

-welder
-good grinder
-a few 100' extension cords
-portaband
-lighting - some sort of good shop/garage lighting

#17 ·
unless you hang out with millionaires I highly doubt you'll get a plasma cutter or anything that spendy.

My list would be:
1. Air compressor (if you dont have one)
2. Gearwrenches (still dont know how I worked all these years without them)
3. 2135ti impact gun
4. Beer fridge
5. gift cards

#23 · (Edited)
Cell phone and a fridge...

Then a digital angle finder, a good tape measure, and a drill doctor -- just so that you have something to hold on to while others work - and keep the bits sharp so they don't mess up.

Call friends and let them do your work. You'll be too busy in the house to build a rig anyway. :grinpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.