Plasma tables? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83441
Send a message via AIM to mudrebel360
Plasma tables?

Anyone ever heard of a PlasmaCam Plasma table? I got a dvd and book on one and it looks like its an awesome machine. The price for the table, arms, etc. , software, and a plasma machine would probably run around 14k for it. So what do you think or is there a better one for a cheaper price?

Last edited by mudrebel360; 04-11-2007 at 09:00 PM.
mudrebel360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=cnc%2A+plasma

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=cnc%2A+plasma

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=plasma
300sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36440
Plasma cam are junk.

Start reading...
cnczone
bigtoy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtoy302 View Post
Plasma cam are junk.

Start reading...
cnczone
or not.

Do you own one? I do and it works fine. Digital Height Control via voltage shift reads is the number one selling point. Motors are good and the whole thing is well built. Find a better value on the market, then buy it.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24640
I know wev'e talked about them alot...but last time we did I'd never used one so here I go

a buddy of mine has one about a month and a half...it's the only one Iv'e ever used or seen and it works fine for us...it's not a production machine but for prototyping and keeping say a one or two man fab shop busy it's fine. I imagine that with a more expensive machine you get better software but as long as youv'e got accesss to a cad program it's fine. Like someone said...you won't beat it for the money. I am interested to see how it will do long term.

Thanks to our partners: Bulldog Winch, Jackson Powertrain, Winchline.com, BFG, Raceline wheels
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14528
Quote:
Plasma cam are junk.

Start reading...
cnczone
Wow, your a genius. Very insightful. How long have you had yours? I've had mine over 3 years and have never had a problem or had to replace a part. I use it around 15 hours a week too. Its made me a lot of money.
Bruce T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 83441
I would want one to make axle trusses, gussets, and different brackets and tabs. Anyone that owns one, did you purchase one of the art disc and make extra money off those selling stuff to different local shops? And where would you get a vacuum table for the plasmacam?

Last edited by mudrebel360; 04-12-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24640
don't know about the art disk thing...by buddy with his just made a vacumn table...put sheet metal around the bottom and cut a hold in one side for a power vent to pull every thing out a duct thru the nearest wall...works fine and firly cheap

Thanks to our partners: Bulldog Winch, Jackson Powertrain, Winchline.com, BFG, Raceline wheels
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14528
Most of those art discs are of western art. Not a big seller up north here. I use clip art and I bought some vector art books for images to use, or at least parts of the image, in signs and stuff. Easy to convert to pcam and add to or whatever.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 34731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce T View Post
Most of those art discs are of western art. Not a big seller up north here. I use clip art and I bought some vector art books for images to use, or at least parts of the image, in signs and stuff. Easy to convert to pcam and add to or whatever.

What are some of the names of the Vector books you use? My father'nlaw has a plasma cam and I help him with the computer work because he lacks those skills...
InkDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkDawg View Post
What are some of the names of the Vector books you use? My father'nlaw has a plasma cam and I help him with the computer work because he lacks those skills...

InkDawg... is your FIL in Austin? Wouldn't mind hooking up with someone local for occasional projects.

Uh, your FIL wouldn't happen to be a fellow with 8 Bronco's, would he?

Tom
fj40guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 34731
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40guy View Post
InkDawg... is your FIL in Austin? Wouldn't mind hooking up with someone local for occasional projects.

Uh, your FIL wouldn't happen to be a fellow with 8 Bronco's, would he?

Tom
No he lives about 45 mins south of San Antonio in Pleasanton...he has a metal shop but isnt into 4x4s...but he builds anything...he's who always helps me with my stuff...he mainly uses the plasma cam for signs and art work cutouts...
InkDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 14528
I have one with all flames and tribal art and one HUGE one for a shitload of random images from wildlife to decrotive patterns and pretty much anything you can imagine. I mostly just use "parts" of images and scale, stretch, modify, ect to get what I need. I have a friend who runs a sign and graphics shop and can get anything else I may need from him like logos and such. For personal use of course.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14528
FYI Plasmacam just came out with a new table that is 5x10. Very nice looking with a few improvments. Its just under 15k and is sold under the name Samson. www.samsoncnc.com not sure why the total disconnection of companies but it is a pcam machine and sold/serviced by pcam.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
or not.

Do you own one? I do and it works fine. Digital Height Control via voltage shift reads is the number one selling point. Motors are good and the whole thing is well built. Find a better value on the market, then buy it.
do you happen to have any pictures of parts fresh off of the cutter? i am curious as to how much slag there is with a machine cut. also, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into the the set up not including the cutter and air?
300sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 83441
Now that 5x10 table is something i was lookin for and if its by plasma cam i would be tempted to get that one. Know anyone that has tried the samson? I also want to know how much slag plasma table produce, well i guess it all depends on how well you got your machine adjusted. Also is there a table for what to set the plasma to for the size and type of metal anywhere?

Last edited by mudrebel360; 04-13-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14528
I can answer if you wish. I don't have any pics off hand but say on 1/4 or 3/8 or whatever I have very little slag. Its just on the bottom in a few spots like corners and comes off very easily. The amount depends on if you have your setting correct (air pressure, torch speed, amps, ect). Its not like the slag of cutting with a torch. I just tap it on edge or with a small hammer or sand it off. Its not worth grinding because it kinda heats up and melts into the piece requiring you to grind it all away as opposed to just knocking it off. Make sense? The cut edge is perfectly smooth with very little visible lines. Looks the same as the edge of something laser cut. It may have a slight angle to it but not if the machine is set up right. That goes for cut quality too. Its all in the setup and size of the machine that dictates the thickness you can cut cleanly. I'll try to get some pics linked somewhere you can see.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36440
Quote:
Wow, your a genius. Very insightful. How long have you had yours? I've had mine over 3 years and have never had a problem or had to replace a part. I use it around 15 hours a week too. Its made me a lot of money.
I do not have one but I am looking into buying/building a table. I have read a lot on cnczone about different machines and everbody over there says plasmacams are not that great.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 83441
What do they say is great then?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 7354
search plasma cam user group on yahoo groups and read away. Good info.

Like bruce said, slag (actual term is dross) is minimal. the dross is typically caused by too slow of cut or too much torch height. The stuff is pretty damn clean. my kerf width using 40 amp tips is something like .038", fine cut nozzles even cleaner. robotics accurate down to .005 IIRC.

I like my table. Yes it takes some practice and a good spreadsheet to track all the variables: thickness, metal type, amp, cut height, pierce height, pierce time, travel speed and z-axis shift of the cutting voltage signals the controls the torch height based on the voltage feedback. Also, those with better CAD and computer skills will have a shorter learning curve for doing custom stuff.

I think all said and done, I am about $14-15K into my set up with the HT1250, big ass compressor and big squirel cage fan/downdraft table enclosure.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 15708
Send a message via Yahoo to GA_ZUKI
i got these a while back while camping. the guy said they used a plasma table. i thought they were cut with laser. also it's 1/8" thick

if you want larger pics to show the detail i can post them also just let me know

Last edited by GA_ZUKI; 04-14-2007 at 06:51 AM.
GA_ZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 14528
Quote:
I do not have one but I am looking into buying/building a table. I have read a lot on cnczone about different machines and everbody over there says plasmacams are not that great.
You must realize that the guys on places like cnczone and shopfloortalk ect, are true machinist's. These tables (pretty much anything under 30k) are not meant for full scale, 80 hours a week production, therefore in their eyes they are "junk". Again, I have 3.5 years of use and about 10-20 hours a week on mine and have had zero problems. I know of 2 other pcams in the area and they have had no problem either. I have worked with a dynatorch and it had its bugs too but overall a great machine, but for 20k. Go up and read the other posts that were linked and see what REAL users say about some of the others. I hope your not considering a kit like torchmates.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 83441
Ok thanks guys i think i have made up my mind once the money comes.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_ZUKI View Post
i got these a while back while camping. the guy said they used a plasma table. i thought they were cut with laser. also it's 1/8" thick

if you want larger pics to show the detail i can post them also just let me know

That IS BADASS!!

And something like that could be done on a Pcam setup for around 10K?

Last edited by vikingsven; 04-14-2007 at 08:12 PM.
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36440
Quote:
You must realize that the guys on places like cnczone and shopfloortalk ect, are true machinist's. These tables (pretty much anything under 30k) are not meant for full scale, 80 hours a week production, therefore in their eyes they are "junk". Again, I have 3.5 years of use and about 10-20 hours a week on mine and have had zero problems. I know of 2 other pcams in the area and they have had no problem either. I have worked with a dynatorch and it had its bugs too but overall a great machine, but for 20k. Go up and read the other posts that were linked and see what REAL users say about some of the others. I hope your not considering a kit like torchmates.
No, I am not going to buy a Torchmate, I will most likley build a table from scratch.