Need help w/ light weight shop JIB crane setup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
Need help w/ light weight shop JIB crane setup

First DON'T LIFT HEAVY SHIT !!!!

I pulled my back out attempting to lift a 4L80e into my truck. (insert comments about how stupid i am) This highlights a big problem in my small garage. I'm good with dragging the engine crane out for large items but the <500# stuff is where I tend to cut corners.

Space is tight in my small 2 car garage and the engine crane is big/bulky can't be maneuvered to help with simple tasks like lifting something onto the metal work bench, stand etc..

I need some sort of jib crane or swing arm setup to lift small items.

I have room where I could permanently mount 1 pole or leg to the floor.

#1 idea was to mount a pole just inside the overhead door and have the other leg that has a wheel on it and can pivot around the pole, using 6' or so of box steel in the middle. I'd use a small 1ton chain fall to do the lifting.

#2 idea was a completely free standing thing, say 6' long piece w/ a leg on each end, with a 3rd leg that can pivot out and locked into place. _|_ look like this from top.. Lift point would be to the 1 side to prevent it from tipping over.. This would be more portable than #1 but possibly less capable..

Ideally it could work inside the garage 7' door and swing out, or be moved along as needed... I don't need to go super high but mainly floor -> bench floor -> truck.. etc..

Other ideas ? Pictures ? Input?
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Slowly working on putting together a bridge crane that will run on the steel beams supporting the second floor of my shop... But I designed the columns and beams for that use when I built the shop...
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 170K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 72707
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41188

try that, I will be making one or buying one...
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62882
For now, I'm gonna get a small fork truck or material lift. Cheaper than an emergency room visit and lost work. Ought to be enough to load stuff into the trailer, get it up on the bench, etc.

Mike, mebfab.com has a lift right up the road in Mebane, $700.
"Blue Giant Lift Truck - 1500lb capacity electric lift. Rebuilt motor. Ready to go."
http://www.mebfab.com/EquipmentSales/Lift-E.htm

Price/details shown on this page: http://www.mebfab.com/EquipmentSales...mentSales.html

Price is good if that one works good...but I want one that is counterweighted instead of having the support legs out front. (so can pick pallets, etc).

(I got no association with them, other than I looked at the 10EE he has.)

His pricing is pretty flexible too. He's running that 10EE on his site for $3k, and same on Raleigh craigslist. Other craiglist cities, he is listing it at $2k.

Last edited by waywardfool; 05-23-2007 at 11:01 AM.
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
thanks for the input so far,

I'd love to build a new shop with I-beams ready made to hold a gantry. But unfortunately not in the budget. I'd also love a forklift or man lift type thing but my 20'x22' garage is pretty full as it is. The ideal design would be a single pole mount with wall stabilizer or completely mobile.

Been doing some searching.. here are some pics so far..

Still looking to see some home brew type setups.
Attached Images

Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 64746
Here is a link to a gantry crane I built a few months back. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ghlight=gantry

I use it with a trolley and a chain hoist. Stores neatly on the back wall and doesn't stick out much past the workbenches. Mine should lift 2000 lbs. I have just under $350.00 into it with all new steel. TB
dichdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24640
my machinist has one kinda like the second pic...the yellow one. It's mounted just to the side of his rollup door and just inside of the opening. His is built using a piece of I beam (maybe 10-12 ft. long) for the arm though...he has an electric winch that slides along it on a trolley deal so that he can back a truck in and pick up a motor with the winch 2 feet from the post then slide it all the way out to set it on his dissasembly table. It appears to just be anchor bolted to the concrete. It's an old shop so it's not like the concrete was thickened below it or anything but it might have been poured a little thicker all over than your average home garage.

every time I look at it it makes me think that its going to pull the anchors out. But I guess thats why I'm not an engineer. He said that he has stalled the 1500 lb winch that it uses trying to pick up a piece of equipment without it doing anything to the lift itself.

Thanks to our partners: Bulldog Winch, Jackson Powertrain, Winchline.com, BFG, Raceline wheels
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote