Shop is falling down...need recomendations - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Shop is falling down...need recomendations

This building is on my parents place, I am the only one that has ever really used it. I am saving up to build one of my own, so money is a large object. I think what happened is the huge amounts of snow we had over the winter overloaded it, and the break is right on a knot. Nothing else really looks messed up, but I havent taken down much more drywall.
I would love to knock this pofs down, and build a steel building, but my dad has no use for the building anyway, so he just wants it fixed.
I am no carpenter by any means, but am on a tight budget, so I dont want to tear half the fucker down to fix it.
I was thinking either replacing the beam, which looks to be a bitch, or sandwhiching the broken section with some steel plates.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Just push it back into position and sandwitch it with wood...we made many beems for barns by staggering boards nailed together.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Wow! Never saw a 2x break like that. But I agree with RCurrier - sister it. Just cut a 4' piece of 3/4" plywood as wide as the joist and put one on either side. Nail it along the top and bottom about every 4 to 6 inch or use bolts about every 8 inches.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 28216
Youy can jack the old joist up with a jack and a 4x4 post to get it level and scab on plywood as previously mentioned or add a 2x10 or whatever fits and as long as will fit and nail it on. add 2-their cheap
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Im liking these responses, I figured I would get flamed about just wanting to sandwhich the beam with some scrap I had laying around.

Last edited by Jeepermat; 07-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
I'm a little embarassed to say I watch DIY, but I do...flame on.

Recently they had a show on in which a person's house had suffered from severe termite damage. They jacked up the sill plate, sistered all the joists with a single 2x8 on each side, put a new sill plate on, dropped it down, and sealed it. If it works for floor joists I don't see why it wouldn't work for rafters. It was being done by a contractor so I would have to think that it's a perfectly acceptable fix.

Like everyone else said...go for overkill since wood is cheap, but I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about. If it were me I'd put liquid nails on the sister plates and screw them in to get good clamping force. After they had set good I'd go back and bore some holes for bolts. Overkill? Of course....but it's piece of mind.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30266
I usually call out going atleast 3' on each side of the break with double the amount of wood that broke. If you can only get on one side, go up two sizes of wood.

use construction adhesive between the plies and lots of nails or screws....two or three rows at 6" on center.

just some basic advice from someone who plays structural engineer during the day

bk
Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 34433
use some good glue PL premium and nial with ring nails or screw
tonka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12499
I've done that sort of repair many, many, many times (worked on rentals in nasty parts of town).

I use carriage bolts and bolt the stubs on. 2 X 4 on each side should be plenty as that's what you're repairing.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 50092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
I've done that sort of repair many, many, many times (worked on rentals in nasty parts of town).

I use carriage bolts and bolt the stubs on. 2 X 4 on each side should be plenty as that's what you're repairing.
Done a similar fix as a "re-enforcement" to a cracking beam in our basement. Engineer for the town came and told us what he recommended and gosh golly its holding like 8 years later.

Jim
Kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote