Compressor Oil Change - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67236
Compressor Oil Change

Curious about how often does the oil in a air-compressor need to be changed? I bought my compressor used (well it was still shrink wrapped) but I was not the original purchaser so I don't hav the manual for it.

its a Craftsman 'Professional' model, belt driven compressor. I'm just a hobyist, so I don't use th compressor every day. But I'd say the motor gets ran once a week or so.

So with that said, how long should the oil last? I plan to change it in the near future because its been 6 months since the last change, is that too long?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2331
Hell the one we use at work don't see an oil change that often and it is used every day.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24876
i deal with contractors and compressors all day long.... i tell guys around 100 hrs. but no one listens to me

seriously, i have guys that dont even change their oil once a year. they are using their compressors from 8-14hrs a day

1 time a year and you should be more than fine
Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Once a year, along with the push mower, weed eater, and all the other stuff.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67236
wow no shit huh, guess I'm not so bad afterall.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
They have synthetic compresser oil now, I get it an McMaster Carr. Stationary compressers that run 4 hours a day or so get changed about every 6 months, and the oil usually looks close to new. In portables the oil gets dirty much faster with much less hourly useage. I think that a really good air filter makes a world of difference in how well the oil holds up. Some compressers have great air filters and really poor crankcase vents which lets a lot of crap in through the back door....in a sense
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
On the Craftsman Pro's (we have 3 of them that I hate!) we like to change the oil every month. No joke but these run hot and they seem to wear alot too! Oil comes out very black even with limited use! If its still new and unused I'd recommend you return it. If you have used it you'd better buy the warrantee. We have had one of them replaced twice under warrantee and now the other one is dead (and no warrantee) along with the first one so now only one is still running and it has been rebuilt once and replaced twice now. Do not let them get hot or run continuously or you will be very sad...

Jason

Last edited by Brutpwr; 08-01-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote