Pirate 4x4 banner

best single phase tig on the market?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jpmassey 
#1 ·
Looking for a tig machine that has a high enough frequencie for wel aluminum and is still 220 single phase. I am looking at the miller syncrowave 350 LX. at the same time I am buying a millermatic 252. I kinda want to stick with miller. I curently have a few smaller lincoln migs and a stick, I also have a miller generator welder and hobart plasma. All of which I have had really good luck out of.

thies machines will me heavaly used and will most likly be used for hours at a time.

any way lets here your openion.

#3 ·
This is almost an invitation to start a religious war (Blue v. Red). At the top end, the differences between machines is more subtle than "what's the best." Why not go to a couple of dealers, tell them what kind of welding you want to do and try the class of machines you're looking at.

#4 ·
Syncrowave 250DX and Millermatic 250X here, so I go for blue. The 250DX is a nice machine and I've used it all afternoon - but definitely not day in and day out. All I have to add to the discussion is that I'd recommend a water cooled torch if you're looking for the production work.

#7 ·
If you have the money and dont need the aerospace options then a synchrove miller 250dx is the way to go. Do yourself a favor and get a tig runner (liquid cooled) option when you buy. If not a little dynasty can do some really great work!!

#8 ·
Dynasty 300 or 350 over a Synch 250, Dynasty 350 over a Synch 350. If you are using the machine quite a bit the more efficient Dynasty line and their smaller power supply requirements can make the total cost of ownership lower than a conventional transformer machine, not to mention that they are also a better machine.

Your electrical utility may also offer a rebate etc. for buying and using a more efficient machine.

#11 ·
Mainly for welding Al the inverter welder (as opposed to transformer based, syncrowave 180, 200, 250, 300, 350/1) will give you more flexibility. You can turn up the frequency on the Dynasty to 250hz allowing you to have a very tight and focused arc. The tungsten will stay sharp.

#13 ·
This may sound a bit odd, but I'd suggest an older unit.

I use an old Lincoln TIG-300 and a stand alone water cooler. It is just a huge gray box. It doesn't have all the fancy features of the newer machines, and it's old school transformer uses a lot of juice, but it will weld all day every day and last forever. Mine has seen 30 years (me and it's previous owner) of heavy use and it still runs great. The only down side is that the Weldor (you) has to be a little more skilled to make up for the fancy features this welder doesn't have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.