Stuff for making pneumatic wheels solid? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Stuff for making pneumatic wheels solid?

I've heard of it, but don't know what I'm looking for. Is there a product you can put in small wheels (I have 6" pneumatics with tubes that go flat non-stop and I want to put them on my welding cart) that will make it a solid tire with no worry about air? I could swear there was, but can't find much about it.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2790
There is some kind of stuff that does that basically but I am not sure what it is called.. I bought a vehicle from the national park service a few years ago that had it in the tires so you might try talking to a maintenance guy for them to see if they can/will tell you what it is and where to get it..
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
You can have regular tires foam filled. I've seen it mainly for agricultural purposes, but apparently you can get road tires done too: http://www.wingfootct.com/services/tirefill/
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8916
Any place that sells commercial lawn equipment will tell you the local provider of foam filling service. I would not recommend it. Your tire will have much higher rolling resistance and if you ever need to remove them it's a huge hassle. It's not really 'foam' it's a very heavy jell that never really cures completely. Every medium to large city has one or more companies that sell wheels to the material handing business. Find that company and then just buy new wheels that fit your application.
John..
roverjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14848
before I went through all of that BS I would just go to tractor supply or harbor freight and buy solid rubber wheels.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Playin with it

Member # 97574
Could you just take the valve stem out, and fill them with Great Stuff triple expansion foam and let it just push the excess out the valve stem? My 6" pneumatics are constantly flat from TSC on my pressure washer, but it doesn't weigh enough for it to be a PITA.

I wonder if the foam would get flat spots while sitting from the weight, that wouldn't be good..............................
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 76684
I haven't seen any solid tires that would work, otherwise I would. I'm not worried about rolling resistance, because the cart won't weigh that much. I'll try a lawn place and see if they know who does it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Green Slime them. I have a cheap HF hand-truck that used to do the same thing. Every time I grabbed it the tire (or tires) would be flat.

Picked up some Slime and went to down with them. Now they hold air 1000X longer (still have to top them off maybe once every 6 months or so, but never flat). I did it to one of my wheelbarrows as well. Can't remember if I just Slime'd that or got the Slime'd tube but it was worth the investment.

Allot cheaper and you can do it at home in a few minutes. And if it doesn't work your only out a couple bucks and little bit of time.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
fill em with concrete, or pump em full of silicone caulking.

hell even just sand might do the trick.

Last edited by sceep; 12-11-2007 at 11:52 AM.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
As rusty said use green slime. I have a shitload of carts and such with small pneumatic wheels, they all have green slime and I put it in the brand new wheels as a precaution. They sell replacment wheels foam filled with rims for the small 4 inch and 6 inch rimmed tires. They are very popular in my line of work where everyone has all their equipment on small pneumatic type casters. The foam ones do tend to flat spot if the cart doesn't move for long peorids of time and is loaded heavily. The foam filled ones are a bit pricy also.

Gemplers sells much better grades of tire sealant than the green slime brand commonly found in retail stores

http://www.gemplers.com/tire-sealants
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
There's a u-pull-it in the Fort Collins CO area that filled all the tires on their green garden carts with some sort of foam. It's fawking awesome. Works great, and those carts get used hard all day. I can see why they did it, my cheap pneumatic wheels are always flat, too. Oftentimes the wheel itself will start to leak, so I never thought something like Green Slime would work.

I mentioned this on here years ago, and even went so far as to the call the yard and ask where they got their tires filled. They didn't know LOL

Last edited by D60; 12-12-2007 at 05:07 PM.
D60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjohn View Post
Any place that sells commercial lawn equipment will tell you the local provider of foam filling service. I would not recommend it. Your tire will have much higher rolling resistance and if you ever need to remove them it's a huge hassle. It's not really 'foam' it's a very heavy jell that never really cures completely. Every medium to large city has one or more companies that sell wheels to the material handing business. Find that company and then just buy new wheels that fit your application.
John..

i'm going to enlighten you on foam filled tires. it's a solid substance when hard not a jelly. and yes once done the only way to replace said tire is to toss the whole tire and rim and start over. i have installed lots and lots of foam tires on bobcats it's heavy stuff and kinda spendy. did 2 front riding lawn mower tires and they where about $30 each

down side to the tires being foamed are they will not flex/give so if you try to wheel it over a cord or rock or nut it doesn't work well.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
i'm going to enlighten you on foam filled tires. it's a solid substance when hard not a jelly. and yes once done the only way to replace said tire is to toss the whole tire and rim and start over. i have installed lots and lots of foam tires on bobcats it's heavy stuff and kinda spendy. did 2 front riding lawn mower tires and they where about $30 each

down side to the tires being foamed are they will not flex/give so if you try to wheel it over a cord or rock or nut it doesn't work well.

Foam fill is a polyurathne substance that somewhat solidifies. It takes around 24 hours to cure to prevent a flat spot from the weight of the equipment. If the side wall of the tire is cut open bad enough and it's on a heavy machine, it will start to come apart through the damaged area of the tire over time.

It does have a forgiveness to it but not as much as a pneumatic tire has. On 10x16.5 up wheels it's worth cutting off the old tire to be replaced with a new tire and be re-foamed. If the tire carcass is OK, then it could be recapped for about the cost of a new tire but the tire cannot be down to the cores or too many nails in it.

It is heavy but it's on the fawking ground, not like you have to carry it all the time.

It usually cost somewhere around a $1.00 + a lb. and it is pressurised in the tire when it's installed.

There is a new wheel and tire out as an assy for like wheel borrows and such that are solid but not near as heavy as foam filled. I have no idea how those hold up though.

You could use the slime crap and it works OK in L&G equipment and other small tire uses, but it's a no no in skid steer tires - won't work no matter how much you cram in there.

Huge list of late 1990's Ford PSD parts new and used for sale V V V

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...-new-used.html
Landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 62420
We do foam filling at our shop.
no idea what all its made of but the big sticker on the containers say may cause cancer, it is a two part compound, just like jb weld, one you mix it there is no going back.
with tubed tires we always have to dissasemble them, and we put a tube pach exactly opposite of the valvestem.
when they are being filled we insert a hyperdermic needel into them 180 degrees from the valvestem (through the pach) (the pach is there because everything is under pressure and the tube would explode without the extra support)
the needle lets the trapped air out while it is filling.
the tire is left on is side for 24 hours befoe we move them after filling, that way if there happens to be any air in it the air pocket will be in the sidewall, not the face of the tire.
we have done about every kind of tire you can imagine with foam fill. the tracked machines that run up north like using them in the boggie wheels, we have only had one case where a client was unhappy wiht foam filling, it was a swinger articulating machine about the size of a bobcat, they used it for snowblowing in the offseason, but its main job was using an attachment to handle bee's. it worked fine for the winter(no more flats) but the ride was way to ruff for the bee handling afterwards, ended up cutting 4 new tires off of it and putting on 4 more new ones filled with cloride.

If the tire has had the air properly bled and the corect 50/50 mixture there are no flat spots,

in my opinion just use the green slime. that stuff is amasing. if that doesnt work have em filled, but make sure the shop that does it uses new tubes. i dont think slime and foam fill will mix to good. but you may have to wait a while, we only do the filling once there are enuff tires to justify having the machine in use, since its a bit of a chore to set it up and it needs a compleat cleaning afterwards. we fire ours up ever cuple months pending on the demand.

I'm not to sure if i agree with my boss but he will have the tire monkey cut up old foam fill into chunks and they have put it inside larger new tires that are being foam filled. i guess if everything is done carefully there will be no air pockets and it is recycling the old foam fill.
driver351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 62420
the tire guys were dealing with a pair of foam fill tires thismorning at our shop
(the other two tomorrow, hahaha)
anyway, i brought my cam after dinner and took a cuple pics to show you guys that the stuff i like once it is set up, and the abuse it can take.

you can see the foam fill through the cut

sawzall work, only way to save the rim.

nailed and screwed (aparently all the tires look like this)

driver351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 53518
Bear tire on N. Broadway, (between 53rd and 61st), can foam fill them.
willyquasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyquasar View Post
Bear tire on N. Broadway, (between 53rd and 61st), can foam fill them.
Sweet, you rock!