Pirate 4x4 banner

Question for you guys running NR-232

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NitroRClover 
#1 ·
Not too sure where to post this, so hopefully this is best.

Been welding in class trying to cert with NR-232. Using 1" plate with a 22.5* bevel on each plate, a 3/8" backing bar, and about a 1/4" root spacing. Having a real tough time with vert up. Everything else is cake. I'm having the most trouble getting a good root and hot pass. I'll establish a good slag shelf and slowly move into the joint but then with the large amount of slag that 232 makes I have problems. I can't seem to get a real good tie in on the sides (even though I am using a slight side to side motion and pausing on the sides) and sometimes slag will even run in front of the puddle. I'm running about 200 amps (125 IPM) and 23 volts. Do I need more volts or amps? I'm sure there are guys here who run flux core to pay their bills, so what kind of settings are you guys running on your root passes? Maybe it's my technique which I'll just have to fix with more time behind the arc. The settings I mentioned above worked perfectly for overhead, but can't get it just right for vertical.

Any help is appreciated!

#5 ·
On my vertical ups, I like to weld with a fixed shade helmet, not my nice auto darkening one. I prefer this because i can see the puddle glow cherry red and cool better. I know where my "hot spots" are. with an auot helmet, you see everything again when you stop the arc. Hope that makes sense for you and good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.