Pirate 4x4 banner

Why do people buy good toolboxes?

14K views 104 replies 55 participants last post by  rexr 
#1 ·
Why do people buy good toolboxes? It seems like a stupid question, maybe a better one would be, "What's wrong with cheap toolboxes?"

I'm in the market for my first toolbox and I've learned over the years that the cheapest way to go is to buy your last tool first. Buying something cheap, then just ok, then really good is a far more expensive way to get a really good tool than to just get it in the first place.

I don't see myself ever buying a new $4,000 snap on box but I might get this one: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653387 . I could keep an eye out of a name brand (snap on, matco, etc.) used box too.

I guess I'm wondering what regrets people have about going with a $300 craftsman toolbox? They seem just fine in the store.

#2 ·
The cheap ones just don't tend to hold up over time. If you load the drawers pretty full, the sliders tend to fail or the box can begin to bend. You don't have to buy the top end snap-on but do settle with the cheapest. You get what you pay for and we tend to hang on to tools and tool boxes for a long period of time. I want one that will stand the test of time.

#3 ·
I started with a cheap crapsmen, problem is you outgrow it fast as you grow and organize, the with weight in the non roller drawers they begin to stick and it becomes a biotch to open and close. I wish I would have seen the international boxes when I was in the market. I stepped up to the 52" craftsman when it came out, I got mine out the door for 1200, they are close to 2K now. It is big and has roller drawers and the griplatch system. now at 5 years old it is far from a tight box, for the most part it is stationary, but the last time I moved it I hit a good sized crack in my old garage floor and two of the caster assemblies (the swivel set) disintigated and it put some "buckles" in the box it self. The lock assemblies are also crap if you ever need to secure them.

#4 ·
if you have ever worked with them you would see the difference.

everything from the wheels to the draw slides are made better smoother beefier. they are built from thicker steel. when skinny jason bought his from matco the salesman demontrated the draw strength buy pulling out the lower draw, getting in it with both feet and proceded to kick stomp and jump around like a mad man, then slid the draw back in like it had never been done. skinny jasons is a 4't 6'L 2.5'd, it weighs 900lbs. you can pull every draw out forwards and it wont tip. it has 6 counter sprung castors and rolls like butter.

seriously go find a snap on, matco, or any other high end dealer and check them out in person, a catolog will give you specs not show you the quality.

#5 ·
Sure the big dollar boxes are better, but really they are overkill for a home shop. I've lived out of craftsman boxes for over 40 years and yes I've even made a living in real shops with them a few times. Don't load up the drawers, build a frame with good casters and set 2 or three boxes side by side. Them high dollar boxes are nice and there is a place for them but not for a cheap guy like me.

#45 ·
That's what I did when I was a heavy equipment mechanic.. I even bought the craftsman boxes used. I just welded up a frame and stuck four of them together with some heavy duty castors. It got me through college as a mechanic, and now serves as my home shop box.

#6 ·
I've got a few different boxes from the ultimate in cheap (thanks Dad) to a higher end Craftsman, my favourite box I own is the one I built myself out of wood.

When you put a tool in a wood box it just feels so much better to me. I have tool mats in my steel ones, but I still find it goes clunk. of course, the wood one is filthy now as wood tends to hold dirty handprints really well.

#9 · (Edited)
There's a pretty big difference in qualities available, just make sure you get something big enough that will hold the kind of weight you need to hold.

I had some craftsman homeowner series boxes for about 8 years but the drawers couldn't handle the weight.
My newer craftsman griplatch lower is better, but is a flimsey box compared to the Waterloo upper that I bought. I've looked at some of the snap on boxes up close and really don't see a lot of difference between them and the Waterloo Traxx series.

You can get some good deals on used boxes - craigslist, or scratch and dents like the waterloo I bought on ebay. Also sams and costco have had some pretty sturdy boxes for not a lot of $$

#10 ·
Just so you know. Waterloo makes the boxes for craftsman. They also make the boxes for cornwell. I think that the only two tool companies that make their own units are Snap On and Matco. Do you need a high end tool box at home? That depends on what you expect it to do. If you are just looking for organization then just but the biggest tool box you can afford. If you put allot of hours in the shop, and demand quality over quanity buy a high end box. Just remember that the name does not mean all that much. Snapon's high end box is the best out their (my opinion, I love mine). They also make some garbage in their lower end sets.

#16 · (Edited)
Yes, but they are not all made to the same specs. The steel in my griplatch lower is thinner than the waterloo upper. The drawers in the upper also have a much more solid feel even though they are both ball bearing units. Luckily I didn't have to pay much for the upper. $450 to my door - scratch and dent off ebay. Saves me the trouble of putting the first dent in it.

#11 ·
As someone who just purchased a lower toolbox to match my top, ended up going craftsman ball bearing griplatch blah blah.. I was considering the same question myself.

I had heard through the grapevine, dont quote me on this, that the cosco boxes are the same as the craftsman.

If you are a professional mechanic, using your toolbox constantly, running around getting things done as efficiently as possible, then I would consider a more expensive box, it is your living. Having used a Matco toolbox prior and getting out of mechanics for a few years to school for a differnet field, I honestly like my craftsman better now, I have more money for tools as well. With the matco I had a few lock failures and the drawrs would creep out on me and I'd catch them on my shoulder, etc (unlevel shop floors). This was all fixed under warranty however, so the choice really is yours. This is just my experience.

Lots of people at the dealerships like having the biggest tool boxes, because they are the biggest tool boxes. lol.

#17 ·
I had heard through the grapevine, dont quote me on this, that the cosco boxes are the same as the craftsman.
the costco boxes are not the same as the craftsman. i studied them both as well as others before i made a purchase. in my opinion, the costco box is by far the best value for a box that size. i found the costco box is much sturdier and smoother than a craftsman even at near twice the cost.

#12 ·
for me working in the airline industry, i need a big box. when i first started i used a waterloo traxx bottom box, and honestly it was not a bad box. i just got to the point of the box not being able to do what i wanted. working in 3 different hangers puts some mileage on a box over several years and i noticed the box starting to tweak and drawers not working smoothly. the frame (if you would call it that) was starting to break. alot of guys at work build steel bases for the box and things are good. i on the other hand spend several hours a day at my toolbox and i wanted something nice. i ended up buying a matco box and never looked back at the cheaper boxes (which make nice home boxes). i think that i have had my box for almost 7 years now and never once have i had to fix it or replace something like a slider. what amazes me is that i have one drawer for just my bucking bars. and i would guess that drawer is 100 lbs (i have alot of tungsten bars). one finger will open and close it.

trev

#13 · (Edited)
I have been looking around for a new lower box. I got a top Craftsman unit for x mas a few years ago. For my use, it has served me well. I have out grown it quickly though, and thats with hanging quite a few tools from the peg board behind my work bench.

My problem, the top box is a dark blue color. (Similair to this box http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=Craftsman&filter=Cabinet+Color|Midnight+blue ) While I dont need things to match, I think it would look better. I don't have anything against Craftsman, just been watching other companies to see what else is out there.

I have considered

-Another Craftsman
Like I said, I havent had a problem with Craftsman as a home owner. So I have thought about going with a chest and intermediate chest (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&filter=Style|Cabinets )

-International
Just like NissanCrawlers, they seem to be decently price, and I like the idea of having a wide box

-Harbor Freight
Yeah, I know HF.... But this box: (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320 and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92099 with http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90321 )
Absolutely BLEW me away. I assumed, based on the store, it was going to be junk. It felt MUCH more solid and stable than my craftsman box, I was surprised to say the least)

-Montezuma
http://www.montezumamfg.com/top_cabinet_box.htm
I havent got a hold of one of these boxes in person, but I found a post about them on GMFullSize.com. They seem to be pretty well built. The guy that posted about them on GMFS is a diesel mechanic by trade, and compared them with a snap on box...

"I got my hands on a Snap-On box today.

odd thing, the drawer slides are exactly the same. hit the sheetmetal with a digital caliper... same gauge. drawer pulls are thinner and sharper. mine are nice and rounded."

He had a top and bottom craftsman professional, but destroyed it. Claims his montezuma is much better... He payed 1350 for his 56" bottom....

Awwww, decisions decisions....

#15 ·
I have been looking around for a new lower box. I got a top Craftsman unit for x mas a few years ago. For my use, it has served me well. I have out grown it quickly though, and thats with hanging quite a few tools from the peg board behind my work bench.

My problem, the top box is a dark blue color. (Similair to this boxhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00965642000P?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage&sName=Chests+%26+Cabinets&sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&filter=Cabinet+Color%7CMidnight+blue ) While I dont need things to match, I think it would look better. I don't have anything against Craftsman, just been watching other companies to see what else is out there.

I have considered

-Another Craftsman
Like I said, I havent had a problem with Craftsman as a home owner. So I have thought about going with a chest and intermediate chest (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&filter=Style|Cabinets )

-International
Just like NissanCrawlers, they seem to be decently price, and I like the idea of having a wide box

-Harbor Freight
Yeah, I know HF.... But this box: (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320 and http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92099 with http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90321 )
Absolutely BLEW me away. I assumed, based on the store, it was going to be junk. It felt MUCH more solid and stable than my craftsman box, I was surprised to say the least)

-Montezuma
http://www.montezumamfg.com/top_cabinet_box.htm
I havent got a hold of one of these boxes in person, but I found a post about them on GMFullSize.com. They seem to be pretty well built. The guy that posted about them on GMFS is a diesel mechanic by trade, and compared them with a snap on box...

"I got my hands on a Snap-On box today.

odd thing, the drawer slides are exactly the same. hit the sheetmetal with a digital caliper... same gauge. drawer pulls are thinner and sharper. mine are nice and rounded."

He had a top and bottom craftsman professional, but destroyed it. Claims his montezuma is much better... He payed 1350 for his 56" bottom....

Awwww, decisions decisions....
Monetzuma Box on ebay

IMHO from what I've read that's the best box out there in that size for the price. $3300 delivered for a box that weighs 1030lbs, 72" long and 30" deep!! That's 6" deeper than the international boxes.

Overall Deminsions
72"w x 30"d x 46.25"h
Weight: 1036 lbs.
Steel Thickness - 18 Gauge
Load Rating - 4500 lbs (250 lbs. per drawer)
Capacity - 50,343 cu. in.

My only problem is, for $3300 you can get almost 2 of the 56" international WITH the top, so obviously way more storage... quality comparison I dunno.

56" International Bottom Box:
Weight 359 lbs.
Storage Cabacity: 21575 cubic inches

x 2 = 718lbs
Storage: 43150 cubic inches

So, two of the 56" has less storage than one of the 72". BUT You can get 4 of them (ok like 200more) for the price of 1 72".

INT TOP BOX: 13518 cubic inches
BOTTOM: 21575 cubic inches
Total: 35,093 = Less than the 72" Montezumma
However you can get 2 of them for $2800. :eek: Which may be a better option, less money, more space, and you can place them easier in a small garage. that is if you need 2 of them.

The monetzumma box has to be a beast since the 56" INT top and bottom weigh 544lbs TOGETHER and the montezumma weighs 1050lb just for the bottom... then again it has more space than a top/bottom so it should weigh more.
-Todd

#22 ·
The main reason to spend a few k on a good tool box really boils down to what you do with. I bought a big roller from Snap On but I use it for work six days a week and open every drawer at least 30-50 times a day. Now if you are just going to use in your home shop every once in a awhile then go with a cheaper box. I personally don't like craftsman, mainly because once you get into something that big your now into it couple grand. I would look around for a box with decent metal thickness and good slides and make sure it's atleast 24"deep.
The one thing also about Snap On boxes is the hold their value you might spend 3-5 k on it but you will get your money back from it if you take care of it.
here's a pic of mine. one more thing is you do go with a Snap On look for a good used box or one that they got from a tool show usually they will sel for half the price from a show. Here's one i just found at northern tool decent size and a 1 yr parts and labor warranty.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343086_200343086

Attachments

#28 ·
Why do people buy good toolboxes? It seems like a stupid question, maybe a better one would be, "What's wrong with cheap toolboxes?"
Absolutely not. I believe you have asked an excellent question; one that I have asked at times as well. I believe the answers lie deep in the human psyche.

It seems that with tools, just as with almost everything else, people like to think that cost is directly proportional to quality, in other words higher cost always equals better quality. Whether this is true in reality does not matter. Perceptions of reality vary vastly and the way someone perceives reality affects or perhaps even determines their behavior.

Pride can be another factor. Some folks want to own what is generally considered "the best" (refer to paragraph #2 again) even if they hardly turn a wrench. I have seen a few extremely high dollar garages with $20k worth of tools and chests that sit almost totally unused. Some might say this is related to "burning wallet syndrome": some folks just have to spend money, whether they have it or not.

Some folks put food on the table using their tools and believe they should have "the absolute best" to maximize their productivity. Again, if "best" is equated to most expensive you will not convince someone that less expensive tool or chest is actually superior in a thousand years. The underlying assumption must be challenged, broken, then recreated correctly first. Worldview and core beliefs always determine behavior.

The folks that believe that high $$$ always equals best quality are often easy to spot. They often loudly ridicule others who recommend less expensive tools or chests as being better quality. There are a number of explanations for this behavior. One explanation is that human nature naturally leads people to automatically reject and sometimes even mock the beliefs of others that do not conform to their own beliefs. This phenomenon has a number of explanations as well, including insecurity, but let's not go into that. Conformity is essential for social structure to develop, and fear of ridicule serves as a very strong motivator for people to conform. I see this, as well as many other sociological phenomena, as evidence of the hand of an infinitely wise Creator at work.

There are also simpler explanations. It's convenient for some to buy high dollar tools and chests when the tool truck which sells items fitting this description visits the places where most of these folks work quite regularly. If time is money, then the time saved by not shopping around for good value offsets the extra expense of buying off the tool truck.

It is sometimes useful to view human decision making as an onion. Many people have done this before. I don't even know to whom the analogy should be credited. The outermost layer is observable behavior. Somewhere between this layer and the next few layers lies what I like to think of as an evaluative mechanism. This engine includes some kind of optimality matrix which chooses the best course of action out of a number of possible actions based on criteria specified in the layers which underly it. The next layers in order from outermost to innermost are beliefs and values. At the beliefs level the question "what is good" is answered. At the values level the question "what is true" is answered. Underlying these evaluative layers lie two more layers which I think of as the core layers. They are worldview and the absolute core. At the worldview layer the question "what is real" is answered. At the Core is something even deeper, the question "what is" is answered. This model is especially useful for people asking the question you ask in this thread.

I've deliberately ignored Core and worldview here. Worldview and core would have to include the belief that we are in control of our own actions and thoughts, but could include any number of religious allegiances, etc. For me, the Core would say "God and I are." My worldview level would say that what can be observed and explained through the scientific method and through logic is almost always real, and some things relating to the existance of God are also real but not bound by the laws of science or logic.

#29 ·
Take a look at the Lowes Kobalt large box. I love mine and it is built well. The combo price is abot $900 but they run them on sale several times a year.

#33 ·
Last summer I got the set of black 40" Kobalt boxes from Lowes and love it. They had the set on clearance for $800 but picked them up for $400 after asking the manager if he could do any better on the price. For some reason they discontinued the black ones and wanted to clear them out. They're rebadged Waterloo Traxx boxes but with one less drawer on each...

#31 · (Edited)
I got a NAPA top and bottom box for about $1500 For the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Double Ball bearing rollers. Two of them jammed up, had it in the back of my truck transporting it from place to place. Ended up knocking the backstops of the rollers out and they close fine. Also, bent the bottom were one of the castors bolt on due to pulling out of the truck quite a few times the past 6 years. Been abused, but it's held up.

It's good for a home shop, but I'm already full. I'd like to get my hands on a "Macsimizer" top and bottom when I get back to being professional.

#32 ·
Ive got a Craftsman ballbearing grip latch 40" box top and bottom with an extra middle drawer for work.. I work on cars all day 5 days a week plus some times on weekend i use the shop for my own stuff.. after using it for about 2 yrs worth of service none of the drawers stay latched slides are starting to get rough and it has more dents then i know what to do with.. however my boss's snap on hes had for over 10 yrs still works like new.. looks like new ! THATs why u spend bucks on a box. but like its been said. if you're just a shadytree mechanic tinkerin on your own stuff at home.. Craftsman is top of the line for you.

#36 ·
Bah, whatever.:laughing:

My craftsman pro has been used for 6 years, gets rolled down the ramp from one end of the building to the other which is 1/3 of a mile long. I've never had a problem with it, all drawers look like new, and the box has been weighed at over 2500 lbs. One of the drawers takes two people to remove due to weight, and rolls fine. Oh, and it has NO dents on it.

Treat one like shit, it'll work like shit. Treat it well, it'll work well. My craftsman pro is in just as good of shape as any snap-on box in the hangar, and was 1/3 the price.

One thing I recommend to EVERYBODY that moves their box is to build a 2x2" angle iron frame for it and to mount the wheels to that. If you hit a ledge or crack with your wheels bolted on your box, you will bend the box, whether it's HF, Craftsman, Mac, or Snap-On. I've seen every one of them do it.

Your bosses box looks good because it's cared for.

If people like Snap-On, buy it. Don't go thinking the $7800 snap-on box is worth $5600 more than my $2200 craftsman, though.

#38 ·
I work on cars for a living. My box at work is a Matco monster with a open top cab both side lockers and a upper cab. Only thing I even needed to replace was the keys twice cause the plastic retainer wore out. I've had the box for probly 10 years now and never had a issue.

At home I have a bluepoint(cheaper snap on) that was repo'ed from a guy. 700 for a top and bottom. I've been through countless craftsman box's that were cheap. I'd rather buy a used quality box than a new cheap box.

#39 ·
I know it will ruffle a few feathers - but I see a LOT of professional wrench turners buying HIGH dollar boxes for 3 main reasons:

1. because they can get it on credit
2. because they think they are supposed to
3. status (boys and their toys)

At the end of the day - it's still just a box you put stuff in... and as long as it's not slowing you down, it's doing it's job.

#50 ·
Anyone that dont know tool truck credit is insane. Your are better off going to the bank and taking a signature loan. The saving in intrest alone is well worth it and you dont have to deal with the guy not showing up and holding money for him ect. 1 payment once a month and done.

Everyone in the shop I work for has a middle of the line box. Most are matco, snap on ect but not the biggest and best by far. We all got decent sized rollers and went from there. You have to make sure in the industry you can build on if needed. Alot of people in the industry get caught up in all the newest stuff out and such and have to have it. These are the guys that usually the tool guy is up their ass cause they know they buy and owe.

Using you head and evaluating your needs is what it is plain and simple. The biggest things people over look are weights of stuff being stored and size cause we all end up with more tools over time. Some of the cheaper box's are not up to the task of heavy loads in the drawers all the time so material thickness and such is something to look at. Bottom line is do some research and have a ideal on the layout you want to fit all your stuff then go just a bit bigger so you have room to expand and make sure it fits where you want it:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.