Pirate 4x4 banner

New shop/ storage

16K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  PTSchram 
#1 ·
Here are a few pics of the shop I just had built.
Specs: 50W, 56L, 14T , It has two double 10 ft doors on the front and a full height 15 foot wide slider on the back side, one 4ft long drain, coal burner for heat,

Im still working on finishing up the inside, I finished all of the wiring and then the insulation, still have to have the sliding door blown. And if you noticed I installed outlets on every post each wall has its own 20 amp breaker( I hate extension cords)

The two jeeps are projects the first is my dad's jeep, Im installing some D44's in it and some other odds and ends and getting it the hell out so I can start on my new project which is the wrecked heep sitting next to it

See less See more
#4 ·
Im located about 50 miles west of Indy on I-70, I wanna say after it was all said and done I had around 35,000

and althought the light setup looks awwful :rainbow: It works really well for worken on my shit; i.e. no shadows under the hood and more light gets under the vehicle, and I didnt hang any in the back because it is primarily for storage so I didnt care to have excesive amounts of lighting back there..

#7 ·
I'd suggest when you add more lights, you run them on separate circuits.

For example, there are times you are just stepping into the shop to pick something up or check on something, and you really just need enough light to walk around and not bump into anything.

Then there are times when you might just be working in one area, and don't need to light the other areas where nothing is going on.

Then there are times when you need artifical sunspots lighting up everything you possibly can :D:D:D

#9 ·
For example, there are times you are just stepping into the shop to pick something up or check on something, and you really just need enough light to walk around and not bump into anything.
One of my nicest additions.... a single MOTION detector lamp. Step inside, and it kicks on. Just enough light to see the keypad (alarm) so it can be turned off.

Are you going to hang sheet rock? Very least use some metal sheetings (I used roofing sheets) around the welding areas to keep sparks from hitting the insulation.

Tom

#12 ·
I dig it... Congrats!!! I sourced metal sheets (the same your and my building has on the outside) for the interior walls. I got mine for free because itwas take off from an insurance job from a hale storm. it was dented very light and inside unless you are really looking hard you cant tell... I like free and Im betting if you can find the same thing I did you will like free too!!!:D

Cool shop man...

JOSH

#11 ·
One thing you'll find comes in real handy is an "I" beam across the shop with a winch on rollers. We've used the crap out of mine so much, I'm now planning on putting in two more with a cross beam so I can hit almost every corner of my working area. Nice to have a car on the lift and be able to winch up an engine from under the body. (F Body)
You don't have skylights in the ceiling do you? Wasn't going to put some in mine initially, but the guy who stood up the building suggested I add some. Has sure helped add light to the shop where the overhead lights don't go so well.
Put in a two post lift first, then add a 4 post later, cause your gonna need to stack your projects before you know it. That sucker is gonna fill up faster than you think. I'll bet the boats go back outside in less than 3 months.:D

Nice shop BTY, you'll never regreat having a big place to work on your junk in.

Curtis

#15 ·
You're gonna hate having the compressor in the main building.

Build a room for it, and insulate the fuck out of the walls. It's much better that way.

Oh, and do something about the lights :flipoff2:

#16 ·
trust me there are a lot of things I still need to do but the jeep project is going to get finished first. as far as the compressor im going to build a closet for it eventually and run hard lines around the shop; but I used to run a 33 gallon oil less in a 2 car garage so for the time being I think I can handle it.

#17 ·
One of the things I really love about my shop is the interior wall. I had a buddy that found metal building tin that came from the roof that had hail damage and they were going to take it to the junk yard.

We used it for an interior wall so the insulation did not get ripped, wet or even burned when welding...

Just a thought, Also you might check with the local farmers CO-OP and find someone that builds and rebuilds chicken houses because those guys usually have tin laying around and chicken tin gives your shop a real urban look...

Just giving you a suggestion that might not cost much..
JOSH

#23 ·
Whatever you do for a lift, resist the urge to get one from Greg Smith, in spite of the proximity. If you ever have a problem, Greg himself will tell you his policy is that the customer is NOT always right. I got screwed by him, I hope you don't. His stuff is Chinese junk and much of it doesn't work right out of the crate.

Nice shop, you'll be amazed at how quickly it will fill up-mine did :flipoff2:

#25 ·
yes it is from the good old harbor freight; when I bought the compresssor I compared specs from every compressor I could find here in town (ingersol, craftsman, cambell housfield, rural kings) and this one was the winner, best cfm and the cast iron compressor that I wanted; and I finally boxed it in now I can barely her it over the radio

#27 ·
well I no longer work for cat, I took a job as a tech with a sony disc manufacturing plant.... more greenbacks so I can afford my toys.

as far as the build name, it may just be a midwest thing but we like to refer to old skanks as war ponys, run hard put away wet type of thing, little rough around the edges cus they have been in quite a few "battles".

#28 ·

Here are a few pics of what I did this weekend, I dont currently have the cash to drop on pallet racks so this is what I built, also a pic of how I boxed in the air compressor; the noise reduction was huge even withouth insulation. I alos left a big hole in the top so that the compressor could still breath

#29 ·
added some more shelfing and also added a furnace; I need to keep the shop at a decent temp so that the wood burner can bring it up to where its warm without having to heat up everything in the shop first....

the furnace ,gas, 100,000 btu n (free)
\
im going to box this section of the shelf and put vents out the front

#30 ·
Nice furnace! You might want to consider some drywall behind, below and above it for fire suppresion. At the veyr least, should something bad happen, it might make the difference between insurance paying and your being SOL!

I have a hanging furnace to put up in my shop. The thought of trying to get the exhaust routed alongside a 50' tall building is daunting to me though! I might try to make it through another winter with just the salamander. Now that I have plastic sheeting closing the second floor off from the first floor and the main bay has been closed off with OSB, it's gotta be better than last winter!

PT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.