Pirate 4x4 banner

Matco=Chinese, Taiwan

35K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  qbin 
#1 ·
I just received a large amount of Matco tools. I was surprised and disappointed
to find that most are made overseas. The price is almost the same as Snap-on and Mac, I'll go with them next. Live and learn.

#7 ·
A lot of the Matco tools are made with the same tooling as Craftsman, also owned by Danaher. It's a sad fact but they all do it, Mac is owned by Stanley and some of the tools share the tooling for stanley. I know if held side by side quite a few Matco and Craftsman tools are the same tool with differant branding, some even using the same rebuild kits. This is the same with Mac and Stanley, or Snap-on and Blue piont I'm sure.
This sucks but you are realy paying for the service more then the tool. Who in there right mind is going to pay those prices for say a screw driver when you could get a complete set for the same price but without the customer service. Now just hope you have a decent dealer that will honor there side of the bargin.

#16 ·
Craftsman, also owned by Danaher
Craftsman is a division of Sears, who currently contracts out to Danaher for some of their tools. They also contract out to B&D, IR, Clarke, Devilbiss, Ryobi, Western Forge, Jet, and Waterloo amongst others. I believe ratchets, sockets, and fixed size wrenches are all currently made by Danaher. Just because Danaher makes some Craftsman and some Matco stuff doesn't mean the two are the same. Same goes for Stanley and Mac.

#8 ·
Just about every tool brand has their cheap line. Snap-On's Blue Point is just about all imported re-labeled crap. I have Blue Point tools that I've found at Auto Zone for 1/4 the price.

Matco has their Red line of air tools, those are all imported, but owning a few, I've found they seem to be of good quality, but that same Blue Point tool from above can be had on the Matco truck.

Mac has the same stuff too. I saw some MAC vise grips on the truck one time, 4 different ones in a roll pouch for $20. I thought, hmmm seems cheap, sure enough, Made in China (isn't that what Mac stands for, Made Around China?)

Bottom line: You need to be an informed consumer. Just because the products you bought yesterday where quality made in USA pieces, doesn't mean they are the same today.

Case in point. I had to buy some work boots recently. Looked at all the high end brands from Red Wing, Danner, Dr. Martin, down to Carhartt, Wolverine, etc.. Guess what, they are ALL made in China. Yep, even Red Wing and Danner. Docs were always made in England, no more. I was very disappointed because I don't support the Chinese market, but in this case, I had no choice.

#12 ·
Matco and Craftsman made from the same tooling? :laughing:

All the major tool companies have their "import brand". A lot of Matco stuff is made in the USA some is made in Germany (re-badged Knipex). Mac and Cornwell tools are junk, look at how cheap their wrenches look and feel compared to others. Although the Cornwell plant is 5 minutes from my house.

#18 ·
Got the new order. Nutdrivers, pliers made in Germany. Sockets are not marked (China, Japan?). Master wheel puller set made in Taiwan. Line wrenches are made in the US but are not the same quality as my old SK set. For the price I paid I'm very unhappy.

#22 ·
The price is almost the same as Snap-on and Mac, I'll go with them next. Live and learn.
Now that's funny.

MAC has been the worst of the big 4 truck-tool companies, for a very long time. Out of Cornwell, Matco, Mac, and Snap-On... You have by *far* the hardest time finding a US-made tool on the MAC truck. Nearly everything is Asian-sourced.

Those Matco sockets that aren't labeled are made in the USA, unless something has changed in the past year. Same thing for the line wrenches, and a couple of other tools you mentioned.

#26 ·
i dont care where the fawk anything is made. as long as i can take it back to where it came from when it breaks and get a new one im happy.

i just took a 3/4" ratcheting wrench made by gearwrench and put it on a rusty ass bolt and then proceeded to beat the hell out of it with a singlejack. It broke after while. I then drank another beer and then took it back to Orchard Suppy where i got it and they gave me a new one.:flipoff2:

#28 · (Edited)
Bragging about being a bastard isn't something to be pround of. You broke a tool using it outside of its capabilities.

I have never seen a Snap-On tool sold in America that is made in China. That link to Snap-On's site on the first page talks about Snap-On manufacturing tools in China, for sale in China and surrounding areas. There is nothing wrong with Snap-On making and selling tools in China, just as they make and sell tools in the USA.

China produces quality components, we just don't see many over here because the State side distributors choose to import cheap stuff. It isn't like China, as a country, can't produce quality components.

I like buying things manufactured/assembled in the USA, but I still stand by the thought of buying whatever is made well, regardless of its place of origin.

#34 ·
If it makes any difference to you or anyone else.

Not long after this post was made and necro boy came off the tit and cut teeth i got into 4x4 shop and preceded to purchase nearly $35,000 in tools from snapon and matco over the last 12years. Really cant complain about any of them or there sub lines aside from the snapon 1/4" fine tooth rachets. Sure ive broke plenty but every one of them has more than earned its cost.

My primary 3/8 drive socket set is a silver eagle and other than losing 1 for about 5years, not a single failure.

And again fwiw. The shit the hasnt lasted where rebadge things like lights, plastic things and cheap immediate solution items.

Hell i work in a saw mill now and still buy from snapon as i need.

#35 ·
Actually, that’s great info, especially now that so much time and experience has passed. I’m guessing nothing has changed in terms of manufacturing. So, while i am less than thrilled to be handing China money by proxy, it’s good to know that the American manufacturers are at least making an effort to not lettheor products become garbage. The glass is half full...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.