Matco=Chinese, Taiwan - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22906
Matco=Chinese, Taiwan

I just received a large amount of Matco tools. I was surprised and disappointed
to find that most are made overseas. The price is almost the same as Snap-on and Mac, I'll go with them next. Live and learn.

1976 Terra. 2X4, 196, 4 speed. Restored trailer queen.
1995 Ranger 4X4, 6 cyl, auto. Current project.
Real Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75285
Note to self: Add them to the list of American sellouts.
FugginZukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
Capitalism sucks, lets try something else LOL

BTW: http://www.snapon.com.cn/snapon/en/index.htm

Last edited by oldjeep; 02-25-2008 at 01:52 PM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81004
Matco hand tools sockets/wrenches/ratchets etc are made in the USA so just what tools are you talking about? They do have the "silver eagle" line witch are imported
Tool Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pimp View Post
Matco hand tools sockets/wrenches/ratchets etc are made in the USA so just what tools are you talking about? They do have the "silver eagle" line witch are imported
How 'bout their ratcheting wrenches? I thought they were just GearWrench, which is made in Taiwan. Matco = Danaher, no?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 81004
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60 View Post
How 'bout their ratcheting wrenches? I thought they were just GearWrench, which is made in Taiwan. Matco = Danaher, no?
The ratchrting wrenches are made in USA and yes Danaher owns Matco but the tools are not the same. Danaher owns a ton of companys Armstrong, KD, Fluke, Allen, Raytek etc. all the companys have there own tool making plants and tooling to build there own tools. Yes some of the Danaher companys are based in China and the other companys are based in USA. Danaher is a investment company there just in it for the $$$ each company they own make there tools/equipment to that companys standards. You can go here http://www.danaher.com/business/ and see all the companys they own.

Last edited by Tool Pimp; 02-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Tool Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29263
A lot of the Matco tools are made with the same tooling as Craftsman, also owned by Danaher. It's a sad fact but they all do it, Mac is owned by Stanley and some of the tools share the tooling for stanley. I know if held side by side quite a few Matco and Craftsman tools are the same tool with differant branding, some even using the same rebuild kits. This is the same with Mac and Stanley, or Snap-on and Blue piont I'm sure.
This sucks but you are realy paying for the service more then the tool. Who in there right mind is going to pay those prices for say a screw driver when you could get a complete set for the same price but without the customer service. Now just hope you have a decent dealer that will honor there side of the bargin.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11283
Just about every tool brand has their cheap line. Snap-On's Blue Point is just about all imported re-labeled crap. I have Blue Point tools that I've found at Auto Zone for 1/4 the price.

Matco has their Red line of air tools, those are all imported, but owning a few, I've found they seem to be of good quality, but that same Blue Point tool from above can be had on the Matco truck.

Mac has the same stuff too. I saw some MAC vise grips on the truck one time, 4 different ones in a roll pouch for $20. I thought, hmmm seems cheap, sure enough, Made in China (isn't that what Mac stands for, Made Around China?)

Bottom line: You need to be an informed consumer. Just because the products you bought yesterday where quality made in USA pieces, doesn't mean they are the same today.

Case in point. I had to buy some work boots recently. Looked at all the high end brands from Red Wing, Danner, Dr. Martin, down to Carhartt, Wolverine, etc.. Guess what, they are ALL made in China. Yep, even Red Wing and Danner. Docs were always made in England, no more. I was very disappointed because I don't support the Chinese market, but in this case, I had no choice.
WillisXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22906
Quote:
The brake master tool kit, impact socket set to start. Striker hammers and speed wrenches have no point of origin so I'm not sure where they were made. Screwdrivers were made in Germany, I can deal with that.

I screwed up and ordered another $1,000 worth of tools before I found out I was getting jap shit at greatly inflated prices.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Blackdog View Post
The brake master tool kit, impact socket set to start. Striker hammers and speed wrenches have no point of origin so I'm not sure where they were made. Screwdrivers were made in Germany, I can deal with that.

I screwed up and ordered another $1,000 worth of tools before I found out I was getting jap shit at greatly inflated prices.
which is it? chinese or japanese? there is a BIG difference .
300sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29016
my buddy skinny jason buys nothing but matco. seeing as how he a is a quality based buyer and having personaly used most of them they are nice, solid tools i would buy them any day.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 75289
Matco and Craftsman made from the same tooling?

All the major tool companies have their "import brand". A lot of Matco stuff is made in the USA some is made in Germany (re-badged Knipex). Mac and Cornwell tools are junk, look at how cheap their wrenches look and feel compared to others. Although the Cornwell plant is 5 minutes from my house.
bigdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Damn Japanese tools and cars not lasting .

Either way.... as long as it lasts I don't care where it comes from, global economy I benefit selling and buying.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 45472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdreamin View Post
Matco and Craftsman made from the same tooling?
Put a Matco combination wrench next to a Craftsman Pro combination wrench and show me the difference (length notwithstanding)....
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 75289
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
Put a Matco combination wrench next to a Craftsman Pro combination wrench and show me the difference (length notwithstanding)....
Seeing how I'm 99% they are one piece drop forged how can the same tooling produce two identical wrenches of varying length. The difference is also in the tolerances, Matco and Snap On have much tighter tolerances on their tools. If you take 10, 15mm Matco wrenches and measure them and 10, 15 mm Craftsman wrenches and do the same you'll find the the Matco wrenches are much closer to 15mm than the craftsman wrenches.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtoy View Post
Craftsman, also owned by Danaher
Craftsman is a division of Sears, who currently contracts out to Danaher for some of their tools. They also contract out to B&D, IR, Clarke, Devilbiss, Ryobi, Western Forge, Jet, and Waterloo amongst others. I believe ratchets, sockets, and fixed size wrenches are all currently made by Danaher. Just because Danaher makes some Craftsman and some Matco stuff doesn't mean the two are the same. Same goes for Stanley and Mac.
Static-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static-XJ View Post
Craftsman is a division of Sears, who currently contracts out to Danaher for some of their tools. They also contract out to B&D, IR, Clarke, Devilbiss, Ryobi, Western Forge, Jet, and Waterloo amongst others.
Not that you were shooting for a comprehensive list, or that it's even on topic, but Sears also contracts w Palmgren, Florida Pneumatic and Mayhew (I'm pretty sure, for pry bars).
Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 22906
Got the new order. Nutdrivers, pliers made in Germany. Sockets are not marked (China, Japan?). Master wheel puller set made in Taiwan. Line wrenches are made in the US but are not the same quality as my old SK set. For the price I paid I'm very unhappy.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 75289
Quote:
Got the new order. Nutdrivers, pliers made in Germany. Sockets are not marked (China, Japan?). Master wheel puller set made in Taiwan. Line wrenches are made in the US but are not the same quality as my old SK set. For the price I paid I'm very unhappy.
Then don't use them, return them.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
Quote:
Then don't use them, return them.
x2 - and if you are spending mega bucks on tools, I don't understand buying them sight unseen. I thought the whole draw of the Matco/Snapon/Mac junk was that you can fondle it in the truck before you order?
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 75289
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
x2 - and if you are spending mega bucks on tools, I don't understand buying them sight unseen. I thought the whole draw of the Matco/Snapon/Mac junk was that you can fondle it in the truck before you order?
Probably ordered them on the truck. I have never had a dealer make me pay until the tool was in my hand. I also never had a problem returning tools or canceling orders.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
The price is almost the same as Snap-on and Mac, I'll go with them next. Live and learn.
Now that's funny.

MAC has been the worst of the big 4 truck-tool companies, for a very long time. Out of Cornwell, Matco, Mac, and Snap-On... You have by *far* the hardest time finding a US-made tool on the MAC truck. Nearly everything is Asian-sourced.

Those Matco sockets that aren't labeled are made in the USA, unless something has changed in the past year. Same thing for the line wrenches, and a couple of other tools you mentioned.
Suzuki Certified Master Technician

IDPA Certified Master Cardboard Killer[/size]
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 22906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
Now that's funny.

MAC has been the worst of the big 4 truck-tool companies, for a very long time. Out of Cornwell, Matco, Mac, and Snap-On... You have by *far* the hardest time finding a US-made tool on the MAC truck. Nearly everything is Asian-sourced.

Those Matco sockets that aren't labeled are made in the USA, unless something has changed in the past year. Same thing for the line wrenches, and a couple of other tools you mentioned.

I just bought a Mac 1/4" socket set. It's real nice, made in the US. I think Snap-on is still the best bet for quality tools. But the price!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 45472
Quote:
Danaher owns a ton of companys Armstrong, KD, Fluke, Allen, Raytek etc. all the companys have there own tool making plants and tooling to build there own tools.
Not true.

Quote:
Danaher is a investment company there just in it for the $$$ each company they own make there tools/equipment to that companys standards. You can go here http://www.danaher.com/business/ and see all the companys they own.
True.

Last edited by eschoendorff; 03-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 45472
Quote:
Seeing how I'm 99% they are one piece drop forged how can the same tooling produce two identical wrenches of varying length. The difference is also in the tolerances, Matco and Snap On have much tighter tolerances on their tools. If you take 10, 15mm Matco wrenches and measure them and 10, 15 mm Craftsman wrenches and do the same you'll find the the Matco wrenches are much closer to 15mm than the craftsman wrenches.
Go get the calipers and a camera and I might believe that crap.