Pirate 4x4 banner

Tips on keeping my new welder scratch-free and shiny?

2K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  K2Orion 
#1 ·
Picked up a new MIG today. Anybody ever come up with any ideas to keep it from getting all scratched up from grinding dust and whatever else? I thought about buying the Milller cover for it, but I don't think you can weld with it on there, as it needs to flow air to cool.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_252/

See less See more
#4 ·
x2.

i like to keep mine clean so i just blow it off with the air hose and wipe it down with a damp rag every once and a while. i am not concerned about it enough to want to cover it though. if i am grinding i will move the welder if the sparks are aiming right at it. basically i just don't go out of my way to abuse it.

#6 · (Edited)
X2. I waxed my MM180 with a good car wax (not a cleaner wax) and cover it when I'm going to be grinding or otherwise throwing grit around the garage and when its not in use.

I don't understand the people replying that they don't cover it, it takes all of 5sec of effort and keeps your $$$ machine (at least to me its a lot of $$$) out of the metal dust/grim. :shaking:

#8 ·
If you want to keep it shiney then dont wipe the dust and grinding grit off of it, use an air gun. Wiping it will turn the dust into an abrasive and scratch the finnish.

Having spent the last 13 years in and out of metal shops, I have yet to cover a welder, no need. Everything in a shop gets covered in dust, fact of life. Use a blow gun to get it off the shiney stuff and just sweep up the rest. For maintnance, pull the cover off every few months and blow the dust out, thats it.

Nothing else is needed.

Welder covers are just a way to get the weekend warrior to spend more money.

#15 ·
just put the box over the top of it and hanging down the sides thats how the ones are at work then make a table that sites on top out of wood to hold your grinder and wheels and beer. works great in our shop.
our welders are 2 to 4 year old and only look like they have 6months use on them....

#17 ·
If you're that worried about it - static cling window film is clear and peels right off with no residue. It's about $20 for a huge sheet of it. You know, the same stuff with the fake numbers printed on it you have to peel off the display when you get a new cell phone? You can get it from anybody that deals in window signs.

#20 ·
Usually, I'm of the opinion that stuff like that is gonna get scratched up. Last week, a friend of mine built a rollcage in my shop and now,e verything is covered with grinidng dust, including HIS welder. I have now realized that the life of such equipment is going to be increased if conductive dust is kept out of them.

Throw a towel or sheet over them. I worked with a guy last year whose Miller looked brand fawking new, mainly because he kept it covered and out fo the way when not in use.

Just keep the damned thing covered and you'll be fine!

#26 ·
I see that it came with wheels on it, but why not build or buy a cart/cabinet with a door on it? Like a cheap craftsman bottom box. Then you've got a few drawers for tips and stuff and a top for a welding table. Just open the doors when you wanna weld.
Something like the bottom part of this.

#28 ·
Tools are just that a tool to get the job done.

Get the super long leads and place the welder in the corner of the shop.

Go to HF and purchase a cheap welding blanket and that way people will notice your burlap box with a tank sticking out the back:p

#35 ·
I just got done stripping the paint off some tube and my cowl, and grinding some firewall. I had 1/4" of dust on the floor within a 5ft radius, shit all over the rest of the garage was covered too. MY welder was about 4ft away and I had part of my firewall on it to protect it :flipoff2:

If I had to worry about setting shit on my welder (other than liquids) I'd be a lot less fun to be around in the shop. You sit shit on there like a table when it's near your work area, it's great, it's usable workable space and works good for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.