Pirate 4x4 banner

Galvanized (Cutting Table?)

885 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed ke6bnl 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the middle of making a welding/cutting table and came across a drainage inlet at work that is galvanized. This is same thing that I was going to make out of stainless straps for the cutting portion of my table. You can see the table upside down with the hole for where this was going to go.

Zinc melts at a lower temp. than Iron so I assume to use this, I would have to un-galvanize it if that is possible. What is the procedure to do this or should I just scrap the shortcut and make this part out of strap as originally planned. I can't really grind it and don't know about how easy it would be to burn/melt it off with a rosebud and don't know about chemicals that would 'eat' it off. Anyone that has done this, can you chip in.

See less See more
#4 ·
DO NOT TRY TO BURN OFF THE GALVANIZING!

Here's a link you might want to read about zink fume poisoning.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3315

That taken care of you may be able to have it sandblasted to remove the zink if it's not to thick. Heavy aggresive media like silicone oxide/ aluminum oxide will probably remove the zink. I'd have it profesionally blasted. When in doubt go with your first scheme.

My cutting table is made from an inlet grate, nongalvanized. It replaced the piece of non galvanized bridge grate that I was previously using. I think I got the bridge grate for around $3-$5 / SQ ft at my local steel supplier. The inlet grate I got from my township. They were replacing stom inlets in the neighborhood and I just ashed if I could have an old one from the guys who were doing the work. Giving them some cold drinks on the hot summer days probably didn't hurt though.

#6 ·
that galvi is bad stuff. i get d.i. lids from work all the time and i had thought about using black ones for cutting tables but decided against it. now i have them as door mats to kick snow and mud off my shoes before i come in the house.

i think you would be much better off using new steel and removable/replaceable slats for a cutting table.

#7 · (Edited)
It's not worth the hassle. Zinc is some nasty stuff. BUT if you do decide to use it, muratic acid (HCl hydrochloric acid) will dissolve the zinc. You can buy it at any hardware store by the gallon. Once the zinc is dissloved wash it off with lots of water. Also, do this outside, it smells horrible and releases hydrogen gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.