Pirate 4x4 banner

Li-Ion Drill

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  gustav129 
#1 ·
My room mates girlfriend is looking for a birthday present for him and recently he has been mentioning that he wanted a Li-Ion drill. The 24v and 36v are way out of her price range but she was looking at a Dewalt or Milwaukee or comparable quality brand. Anyone have any experience using these Li-Ion tools. I have never owned one so I have no experience.

Any and all thoughts and comments welcome.

#2 ·
i've got a hitachi 18v Li-Ion hammer drill, recip, and fluorescent flashlight set that i really like. the drill is comfy to use, has tons of power and a handy dandy built in hanger for your belt or pocket opening.

#5 ·
my dad just picked up a ryobi li-ion drill last week. he's had their non-li ion battery combo (recip saw, drill, circular saw, light) for a few years, and it has performed really well. they've all be used hard, and the only problem is the old batteries are finally crapping out and won't hold a charge for very long.

#6 ·
i got the Milwaukee 18V Li-ion for christmas in a kit with a sawzall, circ saw, and flash light. i also got a radio for free as a rebate.

it kicks ass! the batteries have little charge indicators on them telling you how much charge they have left. the tools will also run at full power until about 5 seconds before the battery shuts off. i'm thinking this is to prevent from completely running the battery down trying to struggle thru that last screw. the batteries also charge quickly.

#9 ·
#12 ·
I cant compare to dewalt but I have the v28 and an 18v hilti. The v28 has an all metal chuck, whereas the hilti has a plastic sleeve that gets all gouged up, instead of just scratched. But my ancient milwaukee 12 volt has the plastic sleeve too and its been put in the vice and all sorts of abuse and it still works fine, so its not really an issue. Both have great chucks, they grip hard and release easily. Compared to my 12 volt though you have to use a little more force to keep the bit from slipping but thats expected with the huge increase in power.

#11 ·
There was a comparison test in Maxim I believe, and Ryobi beat Milwalkee and Makita out. Also, another benefit to Ryobi, is you can use the non Li-Ion tools with the Li-Ion Batteries. Just buy a couple batts, and a charger and you are all set to go if you already have the tools.

#18 ·
Yeah - Maxim is the tool authority....:shaking:

At work we have lots of the Makita Li-Ion drills and impacts. We use them hard and in 2 years have only killed 1 (glove covering fan, driving 12" screws all day).

I will say the chargers can make funny noises....

#16 · (Edited)
My brother's been working in construction the last year or so. A few months ago he got the Makita Li-Ion. Good drill, ultralight, he really liked it. It lasted about a month, but he was using it all day, every day, eventually the gearbox let go. He traded it in on a Rigid Li-Ion, but he says it wouldn't hold a charge in the cold (spokane, WA). He traded that in on the Milwaukee and he seems to like it. Sounds like home despot let him return the first two without any issues.

The truth is, none of these are built for commercial use, but he kind of knew that from the start. He says most of the other guys use and like the Dewalt XRP's..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.