Pirate 4x4 banner

Harbor Freight Workbench

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Pt_Ranger_V8 
#1 · (Edited)
As the title says I was taking a look at the industrial harbor freight workbench. Is it any good or is it a POS? I also have another concern. Do you think a workbench like this with a steel frame will cause more noise than a wood frame workbench will cause during normal fab work? (stuff like hammering, grinding, etc on it)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94309

#3 ·
look at the sams / costco bench 26" deep x 74" wide

2" maple top, square tube powdercoated frame and legs.

I have one for a reloading bench and one for a workbench. I put a piece of plywood on the bench to protect the top when hammering.

#6 ·
I bought some 1/4" plate, 4'x8' sheet (from a seconds place) along with some 2.5"x2.5" 180 wall square tube and welded my own tables with wheels. They cost a little more than the tables listed in this post, but they'll take a lot more abuse and be around a lot longer. My tube notcher, bench grinder, etc all mount solidly to them - and they're easy to move around.

#9 ·
build it yourself.

you'll get a better product in the end, and one that's customized for you.

I built my wood bench, which is storage/'light' work - ie wiring, hammering, soldering, tranny teardown... anything that doesn't involve welding basically - for $100. 4x4 legs, 6' long, 2' deep, 32" high (IIRC)

Then, I built my welding table (which sucks, cause I didn't have a solid piece for the top)
It's 32" high, 32" deep, and about 5' long - total cost = free.

The best thing about building shit yourself is that you can add things to it that companies wont. For example, I put a piece of 2" angle along the front edge of my table, so I have an easy spot to clamp to. I also added several hooks for the stinger, ground clamp, a drawer for small cutoffs. and a hardiboard 'surround' to keep sparks off of the wall. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.