Pirate 4x4 banner

Marking steel?

1K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  PabstBlueRibbon 
#1 ·
what is the best thing you guys have found to make marks on steel plate so that when your cutting it (like with a jigsaw and cutting oil) you can still see the mark?

iv tried soapstone, not that impressed, cutting oil makes it disapear.

i stole one of my wife's fancy art coloring pencils and that seems to work ok.

is there some magic pen out there that lasts a while and shows up well under cutting oil?

thx in advance

#4 ·
What do you use if you are gonna cut with plasma?

I have noticed that my Parker Plasma likes nice clean metal, tends to lose the arc going over paint. Am I doing something wrong with the plasma, or is there something better than paint pen to mark with?

#8 ·
Dykem pen, Dykem fluid, Regular Sharpie, X-Fine line Sharpie, scratch awl, or any combination thereof depending on how precise it needs to be. Don't make scratch awl marks on "high stress" parts. The extra fine sharpies make a 1/64" line. 1/64" isn't too bad a tolerance for something you're making with handheld tools. These T squares are made for woodworkers but they are great for sheetmetal layout and will work with an extra fine sharpie.

For flame cutting I still use soapstone. I'll have to try the silver sharpie thing.

#9 ·
I generally use soapstone, sharpies always seem to be to hard to see and unless you are working with nice clean metal end up destroyed after very little use.

If I need a more visible line I use a yellow or white paint marker although I hate the width of the line and associated mess.

I will be trying the silver sharpie in the future.

#10 ·
CNC plasma table:flipoff2:

#11 ·
Laco Silver-Streak® Metal Marker - For Metal Layout and Fabrication Jobs

* Ideal for metal layout and fabrication work; marks on all types of metal surfaces.
* Marks won't rub off like soapstone and are resistant to torch flames.
* Now available in two sizes - flat and round
* Includes handy pocket clip holder

http://www.laco.com/ProductDetails104.aspx

Attachments

#12 ·
My first choices are the different sharpie markers. I have a reg and fine black and a silver one in the layout drawer. Dykem, scratchawl, soapstone, Metal paint marker I got from my welding supplier. I keep a can of Breakleen there also. Best thing other than acetone for cutting oil on clean steel. I try not to mark on very rusty metal, generally take the grinder to the line area first. Helps the markers last. I do keep a couple of old sharpie markers that the tips are shot for rough cuts on rusty steel. A utility knife makes a great scribe for sheetmetal. Only scribe lines you plan to cut.

#14 ·
I like red dykem and a scribe myself.

#20 ·
It depends. If the mark is needed for a short time, Sharpies or DyeChem works fine. If it's needed for a long time, I use paint markers.

Paint markers are also great for re-assembling parts that require alignment.

ref: On-line Enco catalog, p294 for paint markers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.