Pirate 4x4 banner

Sand Blasting Media

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  DavidVanVorous 
#1 ·
I got my lil HF sand blaster and want to clean up my rear axle, links etc and I can't find anyplace that sells sand blasting media.

I don't want sand.

I want coal/black beauty or something similiar... glass beads seem to be way to expensive for something that I can't trap and re-use (and still not healthy).

Suggestions? Where to get locally around Sacramento/Folsom, or order online cheap and not get raield shipping?
-Todd

#5 ·
I get my supplies from a number of places.

SAND Blast sand not play sand from the rental center near me, they rent large pot blasters

Black beauty? I got this if I remember right for a local concrete supplier. Used in concrete countertops as well as a blast media.

Misc sand balst media. I am luck enought to a a shop nearby that not only does sand blasting but also sells the media, Can't remember the name off the top of my head but check your local phone book.

Advanced deburring I have orders large size alum. oxide from them for polishing the iside of scuba tanks. They also sell a ull line of sand blast media. Years ago we go glass beads, cermic chips. Alum and silicone oxide from them. They will ship to you.

As far as prventing silicosis, if you use a blast cabinet hook up a shop vac as an exhaust system. You will have to clean the filter regularly unless you just exaust outside, also helps with visibility. Thats what I did to mine, modeled after the comercial one where I used to work. You can rent air hoods. We rented an air hood when we sand blasted the dump truck at work. Any type of air born dust you breathe is bad. Coal is black lung, sand is silicosis, asbestos, lead, etc. A good tight fitting resperator/dust mask will work for small projects outdoors. I just picked up a SCBA (self contained breathing aperatus) that was being phased out at a buddy of mine's Fire Co.. They went to the new fiber wrapped tanks and got new masks so I got an older one for $50. I plan on using it when I have to saw cut concrete indoors with a gas saw.

#6 ·
Good info.

I don't have a blast cabinet (yet), and don't plan to blast much but I`m thinking it may be cheaper than buying sanding discs, and other abrasives!!!

So, I`ll be doing it on my side yard in the dirt (on a piece of 4'x10' 3/16)... so no air vent or anything to deal with.

I guess I`ll call some paint places etc.

#9 ·
Las fall I used a HF sandblaster on a dumptruck. I had a face mask/respirator and we used a few different types of media. There was some kind of white sand which worked good, Black Beauty, which clogged the nozzle, and and some other stuff I don't remember what it was. I blasted the frame on a dumptruck outdoors, and on a tarp. We reused a lot and ran it through a screen. Most of the black beauty was filtered out.

I did not enjoy the blasting as that crap gets everywhere. My hair was gritty and my shoes were full of sand. Be carefull with the HF blaster as I accidentally took a blast to the stomach at somewhat close range. It left a nice red mark.

#16 · (Edited)
McMaster-Carr carries just about any type you want including the black junk, but iffen one were to do a quicke search one might find that those that sell the units often times sell the media.

Might add the black junk taint safer than sand. Ever hear about why its listed as a toxic waste? High heavy metal content found in slag that gets broken down into itty bitty airborne bits during the blasting operation.

So the choice is silicosis, heavy metals or using a 1/2 face respirator. Myself I use aluminum oxide or glass (depending) with a respirator... ;)

D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.