Pirate 4x4 banner

ADVICE PLEASE: Semi-permanent Sandblast / Spray Booth Construction

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sanctifier 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Constructing my ToyRoom at home at last. Like most, my problem is a lack of space.

I need to build a semi-permanent (quickly assembled, durable & easily handled and stored) "cross-flow" Sandblast/Spray-painting Booth (from steel sheet, aluminium sheet or MDF etc.)

This will be assembled in my main work-area (23' L x 17 ' W x 12' H) and removed/stored after use.
A 4-post lift (mobile) will eventually be bought (car storage / alignment / maintenance / washing duty) so permanent assembly is not possible.

Not really looking for the usual temporary timber/plastic sheeting setup.
I need something more in line with a permanent, wall-mounted (inverted "U-shaped") exhaust filter assembly PLUS some sort of ("hinged/pinned/bolted") arrangement of panels that will allow me to quickly assemble a (21' L x 14' W x 9½' H) booth for sandblasting and spray painting... and easily disassemble it for easy storage.

Thinking of using 4' drop-light florescent fixtures fastened to external panels (behind glass inserts) for light system with the usual intake filters mounted in the front doors. I'll seal panel joints with DIY rubber gaskets and make it airtight (almost) with strapping tape etc.

Any construction suggestions / pictures / links etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmmm... you need to go to the supply store I think.

I wouldn't use plexiglass as it can shatter and isn't that cheap, so that leaves Lexan. Lexan is NOT cheap, not lighter than steel that he could use ie: 18ga or 22ga for the structure. Also the benefit of it being clear wont last long if he uses it for the walls... he'll be spraying them with sand.

$70 4'x10' of 18ga CR steel.

#4 ·
Not quite sure I understand how you want to set this up. You say the space is 12' h but then want the wall to be 9 1/2' high. I'll assume you either plan to build down from the ceiling a perm wall to make it 9 1/2' h. You can order ply wood and sheet goods in 10' lengths. if you don't want to do that build down so you can use 8' sheet materials.

You'll definately need a strong exhaust fan to create a negitve pressure in the booth for sand blasting, the bigger the better. I often get calls to cut cinderblock / concrete walls and this makes as much dust as when we sand blast in doors. We hang plastic from 2xs screwed to walls, floor and ceiling and then tripple tape every thing with 2" masking tape, install large vent fans to exhaust the air and still get dust outside the area. We use those zippers that you can stick to the sheet plastic for doors and tape over the zipper to seal after we get in. Even with all these precautions we always have dust getting thru. We generally will spend 2-4 hrs to set up this depending on how big and 1 hr min to pull it all down. This is often for 15-30 min. of cutting! We also use a SCBA air pack to prevent breathing any of the dust.

I wish you all the best luck with your idea of portable walls, but don't think it will be terribly practical. Try having a 2x at the top and bottom that are semi pemantly fixed, Tapcons can be used to screw it to the floor if its concrete and they're reusable. Put a gasket top and bottom and screw the pannels to the 2x's. If you use hinges for the sides of the panels, i'd cover then with vynal or felxible sheet plasit and tape the piss out of them. Otherwise I'd run 2x veritical on one side and gasket and screw them together like the top and bottom. A decent exterior door cut in to one panel will give you a good sealed enterance / exit for work. just take the front down to get the car in and out.

#9 · (Edited)
^ ^ ^ Yup, you're right jeepnmatt. Paint and blast media don't mix!
... and thanks for the great construction ideas and operating tips DSW.
Seems like two seperate enclosures are required... Unfortunately I only have one area to use both.
So first, maybe a bolt-together (or socketed) frame supporting several ("hinged"?) multi-panel sections for a semi-permanent spray booth (with built-in lighting etc)...

Second, a seperate "Zip Wall type" disposable plastic sheet enclosure tacked onto the filter bank assembly for "media-blasting" use only. (Easy storage, assembly and clean-up too.)

Who knows... with cost always being an issue maybe the ZipWall arrangement with add-on lighting array on both sides may be enough for multi-purpose use.

I'll have to use a common "Inverted U" exhaust filter assembly though... (residential area.) Fortunately I still own a Sioux Combination Cleaner (Hi-pressure cold, hot and steam) from my misspent youth.
Will it be okay (using ShopVac and shop air too) to steam-clean the exhaust filter bank (at far end of "cross-flow area") between different applications?... Doing it at least twice... and also changing the plastic sheeting (and the filters if necessary.)

Thanks again all... and please keep the advice (and pix???) coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.