Pirate 4x4 banner

welding thin gauge steel.

741 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bigdreamin 
#1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to do some welding on my truck tomorrow to fix the torn out door striker. I think it's 20ga steel, anyone who has a gen 2 Dodge knows what I'm talking about. Anyway any tips on super thin steel? I'll be using a Hobart 135 with .035" flux core.

#3 ·
On and off the gun, weld in short lengths and give it time to cool. I don't know about the flux core wire, do'nt use it myself much at all. If you can access the back side of the weld a heatsink material would probably help. I often back up thin weld with a small piece of copper to help preven burn thru.

#4 ·
I've used the flex core and I gotta agree using the bottle is better... But you can do this, dial the setting down to your lowest setting, slow feed on the wire and use a tacking type approach. Tack in one spot then tack in another spot an inch or better away, keep doing that until you've finished. Take you time, let it cool for awhile during the process.

#6 ·
try and find some thin stuff to practice on. .035 flux core is definitely not ideal. I have that in one machine here and .023 solid core on another. .035 looked crappy and burned through easy. .023 looked great when I was done replacing the rockers. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.