Pirate 4x4 banner

Tool organization in a cherokee

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  oldjeep 
#1 ·
I have a jeep cherokee and i need to find a better way to organize my tools and fluids for when im out dirt biking. right now i have a basic tool box with a tray along with a socket set suitcase thing. i also have a rubbermaid tote thing i fill with some aerosol cans, paper towels, oil containers ect.

ive been trying to figure out a way to organize all that stuff so i can have it in my jeep, but easily put in im my garage so i dont take an assload of tools to school and work every day.

i was thinking of puting all the tools in one of those bench top tool chestslike this one:

would the drawer sliders hold up very well to banging around all day? it would possibly go wheeling, but i dont wheel my jeep that much, just some rough patches on logging roads and stuff. im not really sure what i should do with the oils and stuff. any suggestions out there? i dont want to fill up the whole back of the jeep either as i have to carry all my riding gear, camping gear and a cooler. i would just like a simple solution so i dont ruin a weekend by forgetting some tools or something.

thanks

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
For oil I'd make something to hold it solid... bouncing around those 1qt or 5qt plastic jugs crack and leak... ask me how I know :shaking: talk about a smokey, stinky mess to clean up at a gas station. Either hold it perfectly snug or use some carpet to make it snug/softer.

For tools I've been eyeballing those montezuma 'tool rack' storage units for trucks they are not tiny, but not large and their organization is awesome and they appear to be made such as to take some light wheeling.

#4 ·
I used to have a box similar to the top box of the set you are showing that I mounted on a shelf over the wheel well in my suburban. The only problem I had was if it sat sidways on a hill, when you lifted the top, all the drawers would want to slide open. You also HAD to besure that the drawers were 100% closed when you shut the lid or they would fly open tossing stuff everywhere! I would mount a strap vertically to make sure it stays closed.

As for moveable storeage I use milk crates / small hinged tote boxes. They're not to big so that they can'nt be moved in and out, come in different sizes and shapes, and stack if needed. I've been using them for the last 8 months while I wait for my new work truck to arrive. Every time I want to use the truck for personal use I unload 8-16 mik crates of tools etc. Not to bad but I be glad when the new truck shows up in 2 weeks.

#7 ·
I used to keep the top box of my old 'ghetto box' setup in my service van; it worked great because of the fold down cover I never had issues with it spitting tools out.

In an old setup I actually had both it and the bottom box (with the wheels removed) hard mounted in a service van and it worked OK except the Craftsman bx eventually busted all the lock tabs out and I had to use the bungees to keep the drawers closed in traffic. Later I just made some bars that slid in to hold them in place.

#8 · (Edited)
Heres another thought. You can get a variety of military ammo cans that might work. I used to transport tools in an old 20MM ammo can. There are a number of different size 50 Cal cans that woul probaply work well for quarts of oil and they seal so no mess. I've got 1/2 dozen other sizes but can't remember what originally was stored in them. You might be able to mount something like a 20MM can on the back like you would a gerry can for fuel and save some int. space.

See if you have a good surpluss store in your are or you can find a number if companies on line. I've delt with Colemans surplus on line http://www.colemans.com/ammocan.htm, Cheaper than dirt, and Sarco. If you can find a copy of shotgun news you'll find a bunch of suppliers.

#9 ·
I fabbed up a bracket for my craftsman top box... I'l lhave to find the pics of it..

basically, it was an angle iron base that the chest sits in, with nuts welded to the outside... then another piece of angle with a hole drilled in it to go in the handle areas on the side. a piece of allthread (or a long bolt) running through the top piece, tightened into the bottom piece held everything down. Like was said earlier, you have to make sure the drawers are all locked though - otherwise shit gets EVERYWHERE when you get 3 feet off the ground and then land

#10 ·
I'd just pick up one of the blow molded cases that craftsman sells for their sets and put the tools in there when on the trail. Or better yet, just buy a $200 set in the case for use in the jeep. A regular toolbox is going to make a ton of noise, drawers moving and all the junk in the drawers bouncing around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.