Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding A36 to Stainless

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  actionpaintball 
#1 ·
Can mild steel be welded to Stainless (probably 300 series)?

If so, can the weld be structural? Can it be done with MIG or what process? Any galvanic issues?

Application would be A36 plates wet set in concrete, with a stainless, structural ddecorative post base welded to it in the field later....

#2 ·
It can be done. A 309 series filler is recommended for dissimilar metals. I have used stainless mig wire, gas shielded stainless fluxcore wire, and stainless tig wire for joining carbon to stainless steel. All 309 class. Pretty sure you can get it in stick electrodes as well. Head down to your local weld store to see what they carry. They should be able to recommend a size as well.

#3 ·
I don't see any major problems. Static-XJ pretty moch covered your options other than imbedding a piece of SS in the concrete. You might end up with some cosmetic rust in the weld bead if you don't run a heavy bead as the A36 will idllute the SS content of the weld but SS is generally stronger that the A36 so I don't see a structural problem.

BTW most structural columns are bolted rather than welded. This allows for shimming the column for plumb. Its not unusual to see columns set on nuts run on to studs set in the concrete. These nuts allow the column to be plumbed by turning the nuts underneath. The column is then doublenutted on top and the under side of the column plate is filled with nonshrink grout. Often you will never see this as they are bolted to the footings and then the floor is poured over all the bolts up to the column. Beams on the other hand are often welded to wetset plates, you just weld any shims at the same time.

Post some picts when you are done. I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'm assuming that it is for some sot of decorative rialing / canopy you are building. If this is the case I can't see why welding direct won't work.

#4 ·
This is for a timberframe post base. Normally, we just rotohammer and epoxy our hardware in. In this case, we are going to wet-set the A36 and the weld a 4" piece of A36 pipe to the plate once the post has been located. The 4" pipe will be the piece that is welded to the stainless.

I'll take some pics, but the raising will be in May. The hardware should be here well before then. This project will be amazing. If you are into timberframing or woodworking in general, it will be something quire special.

#5 ·
I studdied architecture and love timberframes. I must have over a dozen books on the subject. Email me as the build goes up. I'll pm you my email address. I used to live in Keyport WA. near Bremerton in the 80's and one day I'd love have to go back.

Not quite sure I can visualize how it will go together. I've seen round pipe go into a recess bored into the post and then bolted. I've also seen plates with straps that are thru bolted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.