Pirate 4x4 banner

HELP - can't decide which belt sander to get

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SWAG MFG 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m about to buy a new belt sander and torn between two different units. I am mostly rounding corners and edges on 1/4" flat plate and deburring tubes after cutting them in the bandsaw or cutoff saw.

#1 – Kalamazoo S4S, 1HP. 4”x36” belt. Turns 3450 RPM. Made just an hour from my house by a very reputable company. $780.

http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/belt_sanders.asp

#2 – Wilton 4210K, 1HP. 6”x48” belt, 10” disc. Turns only 1650 RPM. $649. Import.

http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalo...s-268745&cid=832C972C84FC35A6504E6197FF702A75

Obviously I get more for my money with the Wilton unit. But I’m concerned about the speed of the belt. If its turning only 1/2 as fast, the belt would probably be much more likely to catch and rip, right?

Not sure which way to go here guys. Anybody have either one? Any advice is appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Obviously I get more for my money with the Wilton unit. But I’m concerned about the speed of the belt. If its turning only 1/2 as fast, the belt would probably be much more likely to catch and rip, right?

Not sure which way to go here guys. Anybody have either one? Any advice is appreciated.
I use the bigger Wilton everyday w 12" disc. Looks like it turns 1960 RPM. It always seems to turn slow to me when I first fire it up, but never had problems w the belt catching or ripping. I think quality belts are the first line of defense.

I'm also guessing you just don't want to be turning a 6x48 belt at 3450, seems like more mass to flap or slack.

#5 ·
I'm surprised to see the Hechinger name. I used to work for the original Hechingers before they went under in around 2000. Someone must have bought the name for thier site. Any ways I digress.

Considder if you will be able to get belts / disks for the Wilton locally or if you will have to order them. If you have to order, stock up on spares. Nothing ruins a project like being in the middle and having your tool go down for a couple of days because you can't get a part. I always stock up on welding gas and tig rod on friday before a project, knowing that if I run out I'll have to wait till monday to get more. I think the 4"x36" is the same belt my delta uses and is available from Depo. Other than this I think I might lean towards the Wilton as a more versitile machine.

#8 ·
i have the wilton 4210k. it works great for me. it is plenty fast in my opinion. i wouldn't go narrower than a 6" belt and no way would i go smaller than a 10" disc. i use a 50-60 grit disc for removing lots of material during shaping and a 80 grit belt for finishing the work. it is an import but still quality in my opinion.

if money were no object i would have a large (probably 20" or so) dedicated disc sander and a dedicated 6x? belt sander. if money were no object but space was limited to a combo sanding machine, i'd look at one of the 6x48/12" belt-disc sanders.

#10 ·
Been reading for months but this is my first post thought I'd give my 2 cents. I have the 6x48 harbor freight use it daily in a small fab shop. I swapped the pulleys to speed it up was 100 times better, was way faster at material removal. I think I fiqured it runs at 4-5000 rpm range. I was planning on buying a better sander after I got my shop up and running but its still going strong after 4 years of fairly heavy use. I actually bought the 1 year warranty fiqured it wouldn't last that long. I have used the Burr Kings and the Ellis belt sanders I really liked the Ellis the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.