Pirate 4x4 banner

Parker 200 amp ac/dc tig?

10K views 73 replies 23 participants last post by  1972scoutII 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a tig soon and can't help but wonder how these machines work for their price. I have searched and found that Parker has an excellent service reputation. Does anyone have experience with this particular machine? I am looking to use it for chromoly chassis and some aluminum work. I don't have much tig experience but have been mig welding for years. Any input?:confused:

#2 ·
That's the unit I have, so far very happy with it. In the same boat as you, done alot of mig welding but not alot of tig. I was taught a few years ago and seemed to pick it back up pretty good. The machine melts 1/4" wall chromoly tube very good.

Waiting for spring to do some work on the pontoon and see how it does on aluminum! :D

#5 ·
I was taught on some big ass Lincoln thing years ago. The Parker works for what I use it for just as good as that seemed to. Starts good, has good heat control and runs smoothly. I'm no pro, but I can tell when I'm getting good penetration. I wouldn't spend double mainly because Parker has great customer service, and if they made junk then they would have been booted off this site a long time ago.

Everybody has a different risk factor and way of looking at things. :D

#4 ·
I just bought a brand new Lincoln. It was only $600 more than the Parker. I have their plasma, and I have no problem cutting stuff up with their products. But somehow I just wasnt comfortable building something that will support peoples lives with a product that hasn't been around that long. Buying from one of the big names was a sense of security for me. I was in the same boat too, MIG welding for years, not much TIG experience. I picked it up within a matter of hours and have been getting better at a steady rate since then. I vot for spending the extra money.

#6 ·
Buy a used Miller Syncrowave 250 The "old school" one..

Buy a used Miller Syncrowave 250 on craigslist or ebay. Look for one that comes with lots of stuff...torch, water cooler, regulator/flowmeter, foot pedal, etc. You can find them for 1400-1800 bones. Ten years down the road you will be able to sell it for same or more.

I am sure the Parker is fine, but a lot of people have never heard of it. Same will be true if /when you want to sell or trade it.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/miller-welding-machine.html

#8 ·
Buy a used Miller Syncrowave 250 on craigslist or ebay. Look for one that comes with lots of stuff...torch, water cooler, regulator/flowmeter, foot pedal, etc. You can find them for 1400-1800 bones. Ten years down the road you will be able to sell it for same or more.

I am sure the Parker is fine, but a lot of people have never heard of it. Same will be true if /when you want to sell or trade it.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/miller-welding-machine.html
I agree, in the long road its better to stick with a name brand if you want to sell it and upgrade. Local welding repair places get older machines in all the time that the owners don't want to spend the money to repair. You can usually pick them up for what it costs the shop to fix them in parts and labor. This is a good way to pick up a much larger machine than you might be able to afford otherwise. Most places will give you a waranty on their work so its not as big a risk as a regular used machine. I've gotten some sweet deals on an engine driven welder and a suitcase feeder for work this way. look like hell but welds like new and at almost 1/3 what it would have cost for a similar machine. Looked for a tig machine last month but they didn't have any at the time. Getting to know these guys dosen't hurt if you ever need parts or are trying to trouble shoot odd problems.

BTW I got a new syncrowave 200 for about $1800 because it didn't come with the wheels. That would have added about $200. Be sure the machine you get does both ac and dc tig or you can't do alum. Alum also needs a lot of power compared to steel so if you plan on doing alot of alum go bigger than you think you'll need.

#7 ·
I have been looking on craigslist for quite a while and nothing has turned up in my area except some ancient Lindy welders which are 3 phase. I would love to find a Precision tig 225 or a Synchrowave. If you know anyone getting rid of one I'm in Cranberry, Pa

#13 · (Edited)
Attention!

Phil Sr... owner Parker Metalworking Products

I've got to chime in here.

I realize it's very easy to express the "apparently" logical concept of "stay with a "brand" name. Ok... let me convey some logic using our PW200ACDC (acdc TIG/STICK) as a basis.

1) INVERTER TECHNOLOGY AT A REALLY AFFORDABLE PRICE. Currently $799.99 for 200 amps inverter design. Bonus.. you get a Stick function.

2) Price... $799.99 vrs... HOW MUCH for a Syncowave counterpart?

3) Come complete out of the box operationsal... all you need is the Argon. I've hear that Miller's... you have a hell of a lot of necessary stuff to buy to get it operational. Obviously may not be the case if you buy used... but I'm talking new machines here.

4) EVERYONE... that has bought our machine is SO IMPRESSED! I've impressed many pro-welders with the our machines over the years.

5) The consumables are quite standard... torch stuff... etc. So if you want to buy "brand name" replacements at excessive price you can... but we virtually always stock that stuff... very inexpensive.

6) Other reasons I forgot to mention.

Summary... so logically IF what I say is true... AND IT IS! (Check our feedback! other threads... thousands of views & posts over the years)... then one who decides to buy new "brand-name" machines will get quality and a feeling of security (in his mind)... but at WHAT COST! HMMM! DO THE MATH!

IT IS WHAT IT IS... our machines have GREAT performance, GREAT quality, GREAT warranty, GREAT toll-free tech support (hell we actually answer the pone... and you won't be talking with some fat ass'd chick with no tits and a page-boy haircut!!! HELL... WE'RE JUST GREAT!

Later... Phil SR

BTW... ANYONE that wants to come demo any/all our machines... and CONFIRM everything I say is true... then post-up your observations... has an extended invitation.

#18 ·
We make a PT40/160 (40amp plasma 160 amp TIG/Stick) However... if you get the Turbo Upgrade it becomes a 50/180. BTW... the 50/200 your refering too... assuming you've seen some look-alike machines. The are stretching the 180 to 200... not real.

Really... watch out... for all the "product dumpers" and general merchants on ebay. The machines are not of good quality typicall. You see... I was the very first to import these machine back in June 2004... and since then have seem Chinese nationals come over here and set up shop... everyone gone within a year. However... if you get snag'd by the lur of cheap cheap cheap... we're here growing our repair department.... and it's growing rapidly. ie- we take in their failed machines. So... we're here for you.

Later... Phil Sr

#17 ·
THEY ARE GREAT! Performance & Reliability!

All I can say is I hope your in good physical condition... so you won't hurt yourself while doing back-flips with happiness!

Ok... I confess... this is Phil Sr... owner of Parker Metalworking Products.:shaking:

Everyone has been really impressed with these machines.

Hey... check out the post of a guy that is using our PT40dv and PW200ACDC TIG machines making bumpers... search for "Bought A Plasma thread". His got cool photos too.

Later... Phil Sr

BTW... questions of any kind will be answered by Phil Jr or James at the shop... toll-free 888.281.2820 or 480-983-6030

#25 ·
I ordered a 50 Amp Dual Voltage Plasma From JR the other day. I called lots of places , as I do have a budget. I was very impressed with parker , their support and their product. ROXROES is a buddy of mine , and I have seen his machine in action. The product is very nice. Once I have the need for Tig I will be ordering that from parker as well. Their support seems unmatched , any issues send it back. I can handle phone support , and mail delivery in order to save a TON of money. As for my local welding supply , I have never bought anything from them besides a tank. They seem to be high on everything.

My plasma should arrive on monday , and I can't wait to see it , and put some time on it. :D

#27 ·
I am interested in what your response to the comments and pictures in this thread are.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=21037&page=2

Seems like some major problems not only with quality but service. I was really considering selling my hypertherm and getting a parker plasma and 200 amp tig, based on what I read on pirate, but I am not so sure now that I have read that thread

#28 ·
I sure , am not all that impressed with Giant Tech's. I decided on parker , after receiving a pm from Giant tech , about his machine , and cost. I didn't know why he pm'd me since I had only posted in the parker thread. To me that is bad ethics.
Giant tech also told me he is an electrical contractor doing it out of his garage. I would rather purchase from a full time outfit. I talk to Jim , at parker , and was very pleased, all in all about 2 hrs of talking about plasma's.

#29 · (Edited)
A wise man once told me: "don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." Damn me to hell, but if somebody is on their 3rd piece of equipment I'm having a hard time believing they have a fawking clue of how to use the machine. :eek: As well, based on what you said, be my guest and refrain from buying ANY piece of equipment unless the manufacturer has a FLAWLESS track record, best of luck to you! :laughing:

Since I work in an Agricultural part of the market there is alot of operator error, as there is I believe with these machines. The customer gets to a point in their head where unless they get the answer they "think" is right, then the manufacturer is trying to screw them. Hell we have a case of this right now where I work, and we're dropping thousands of dollars trying to figure out the problem, and we're 99% sure its not even with our product, but we still want to know what is the RIGHT answer! But the customer thinks we're being pricks and are gonna give them the shaft because we haven't given them an answer yet. Hmm, maybe its because we're trying to find it out rather than jump to ASSumptions.

IMHO using a welder or plasma or Tig etc etc is like driving a race car. You can have the best car or piece of equipment in the world, but if your not smooth and don't know what your doing the results are going to look like a piece of shit when your done. :flipoff2:

I'm going out to the lab to see if I can snipe a piece of 1/2" Aluminum, I'll see if I can blow through that SOB when I get home. And I'll even use my cheapo shorty tips that don't cut the thick stuff as good. I could try to cut a chunk off my straight edge I use for long cuts but that is only 3/8" thick Aluminum and I don't wanna ruin it. :D

EDIT
I have a piece of 2x10 1/4" Al, I haven't plasma'd aluminum in years so I'm actually looking forward to trying out the Parker on it. I'm gonna cut it in half and test a 1/4" cut first then double it and clamp it tight together. Not "true" 1/2 but I can't see it'll make a significant difference.

#30 ·
I just want to state that I'm not trying to pick a fight, just very pleased with my Parker purchase. Alot of companies make great machines.

To clarify I have the 40 amp 220V machine. This was freehanded at 3/4 throttle and it's jagged because I was playing with speeds watching the blowout on the bottom. With more to play with I could get it alot smoother and dial it in. This was on 3/8, and after seeing how easy it went through there is no doubt it would do 1/2 at not even full throttle.

I tried to do 2 1/4 plates clamped together, BAD IDEA! I was picking little flakes of aluminum off my North Face jacket for 20 minutes with a knife tip! :flipoff2: Don't think it liked it not being pure 1/2 thick and I think I've heard it said before you can't do this. :laughing:

#33 · (Edited)
:lmao:

I've never met a grown man who can't read. You expect perfection on the first try? Grow up, and how do you have a build going on and no scrap laying around? I've got fawking piles.

EDIT
To clarify even further, I was just showing that the machine could do 1/2 thick aluminum. And to add to that, I've nothing to prove to you. I've looked at your build thread, and I could pick your work apart as well if I wanted to stoop to your level. And by that I mean nothing against the fact that the rig will perform exceptionally well.

#34 ·
ROXROES said:
I've never met a grown man who can't read. You expect perfection on the first try? Grow up, and how do you have a build going on and no scrap laying around? I've got fawking piles.
A grown man that cant read? I have no idea why you would think that. I have been doing a ton of reading, aka why I brought up the forum I found on hobarts page. I have owned 2 plasma cutters and I have yet to see a single picture by anyone posted using a parker plasma that shows a cut quality that I have come to expect from my plasma. I am trying to figure out why? If you move the torch at a steady speed, the cut should not be all jagged, the metal should be pretty smooth and clean. I am in the military, and moved across country 8 months ago, deplyed 7 months ago, and got back last month. I still dont have 220V hooked up in my new garage, the buggy is broken, and I am still working on my honey do list from being gone for so long. I didnt bring ANY scrap metal with me across country b/c I didnt have any weight to work with in my PCS shipment, and I have not done ANYTHING since I have been here so I have bought no steel, which is why I dont have any scrap.

ROXROES said:
EDIT
To clarify even further, I was just showing that the machine could do 1/2 thick aluminum. And to add to that, I've nothing to prove to you. I've looked at your build thread, and I could pick your work apart as well if I wanted to stoop to your level. And by that I mean nothing against the fact that the rig will perform exceptionally well.

if the cut looks like that, you cant really say it can do 1/2" thick al at anything but a sever, which is not really how talk about plasmas. Most of the time you want to know the cut thickness and speed you can achieve a reasonable clean cut. You dont have anything to prove to me. If we were talking about my build, you could say whatever you wanted. I am not a professional builder, and I am only building that rig for myself. Keepy "ME" happy is the only thing that matters. Here we are talking about a product for sale and a product I am considering buying, so if you fault me for bringing up some of the bad to go along with some of the good to try and get a good picture before a purchase, the go to hell. I have no vested intrest in Parker metal works failing or succeeding. There is a lot of talk of great customer service here, and from what I read on the hobart thread, I asked for an explanation. I got a partial one, and not a good enough one, so my next move will be to call him and talk to him and try to get the real story on the customer service issues and product problems. Miller/Hypertherm are billion dollar companys with a lot of support. Before I sell my plasma and buy a plasma and tig, I want to know what my money is getting me.

Grow up a little. "stoop to your level" ? What are you talking about? I am asking legitimate questions about a potential product, and make coments on how I interpreted the pictures you posted. It is nothing against you, but the cut quality in that last pic is terrible, and I say so b/c I want to find out why, not to attack you. making it personal is childish....

#36 · (Edited)
Your rather judgemental without paying attention to the details.

If you READ you would understand why the cut looks like that. WOW, you want me to write it on a 2x4 and beat it into you? :D You act like your an almighty fab god and your quality can't be matched. Your build looks bad ass and I can find more I like than dislike. Yet in the end, I see nothing that gives you the right to speak and act the way you do.

As well if you can't comprehend that it takes practice to determine where your settings need to be in order to get the optimal cut. Then I'm questioning how much you really know about plasma's or any other fabrication equipment in general, sorry.

EDIT
Until said awesomest of awesome hypertherm cuts are shown I'm an astronaut scheduled for the next mission.:flipoff2:

#37 · (Edited)
You are making me laugh now. you are attacking me personally because I have questions about a machine's quality??? I am not only NOT a fab god, but a fab newb. Why are you even bringing up my buggy. Hell, there are more things I dont like about my own rig that I do like, but it is mine and I will do what I want with it. My fabrication skills or lack there of have nothing to do with this discussion. Using a plasma cutter, in my opinion, is about as brainless as it gets. I set mine to 35 amps, havent changed it since I bought it ( because it just works right, every time), except once when I was cutting something really thick and I turned it all the way up. It cuts good every time. It has been my experiance that it is not like a welder where you "dial it in"...

I have never said anything about "my" quality but you have attacked me for some reason. I have mentioned the quality of a cut from a hypertherm plasma appears to be nicer than what I have seen posted here. I will go find something to cut and post a picture or 2 tonight when I get home from work.

Continue to attack "me" if you would like, but you are only embarrasing yourself.

#42 ·
Yah your right I feel so embarrassed, and if your taking anything personally that's your problem. :shaking:

Your jumping to conclusions if you think I was making fun of your fab skills or picking on your buggy. I was merely questioning your ability and knowledge, huge difference.

Here I'll even make myself vulnerable to criticism to show I don't care.

I was finishing up the front suspension and had the camera down there, here's a pic of a standard zip through 1/4. 99% of the time I hit stuff with a grinder to clean up pieces anyways so I "personally" don't try to make my plasma cuts perfect. Perfect is negligible IMHO if you design and execute something right.

Gotcha! :flipoff2: Sorry had to do it, that's just a laser cut from some extra pieces we had that I've made pieces out of.

Here's the real cut, not perfect, could it be? Sure.

#50 · (Edited)
ive been lurking on here for a while and had to give my 2cents. as a professional welder/fabricator i would personally go with miller or lincoln. why? because i know they work and most importantly will continue to work for decades. ive used both lincoln and miller welders that were at least 50yrs old if not more and worked just as good as they day they were built. to me the extra money is worth it for not only the resale but knowing that the product will last as long as i need it to if not longer. personally id rather buy a welder that has a proven track record and know that i wont need to get it serviced compared to one that has only been around for 4 yrs and numerous products have needed to be repaired already. when my welder is down im loosing money plain and simple.

#55 ·
My '87 Miller needed repairs last week. The parts were in stock, and a factory service tech installed them at a very reasonable rate with a warranty. All this about 1/2 hour's drive away from my house. Hopefully my old MM200 will provide another 21 years of service. Miller may not be perfect, but IMO their customer support and service is.

China knows can make silk and porcelain products like nobody else, but they haven't figured out how to consistently make reliable welders or plasma cutters yet. Consistency is everything when it comes to welding and welders. People often bash American made products because they're more expensive. Product support has no value to you? If you got paid based on whether or not a piece of equipment worked maybe you'd see things differently. If a welder is a luxury for your work and you only use it a couple times a year then you'll probably never see what you're paying for. OTOH, if high quality welds are a *necessity* for your work and you use your welder on a frequent basis, it's cheaper in the long run to start with a quality piece of equipment that gives consistent performance.

Initial purchase price is the only valid argument to buying a Chinese welder, because from all I have seen the quality's just not there. Miller's service has always treated me well and I've gotten 100%+ of my money's worth out of every machine I've purchased from them whether it be used or new. Resale value is a consideration if you regularly upgrade equipment (i.e. it pays to have the best available machine if it's making you a profit). Nobody wants to drop money on a piece of equipment that will be worthless after a couple years of service.

P.S. Rockrunner86, if your Dynasty200 is giving you problems I have the same machine and can assist with setup or wiring questions. If you need help, just drop a PM. 2 week wait for service is *not* typical, who did you buy it from?

#56 ·
Having used Miller and Lincoln plasma's, and a Lincoln Pro Cut 55 actually being the unit I was taught on. And having purchased and beating the tar out of this Parker for over half a year now, I see no physical advantage to buying a Miller or comparable unit over Parker.

I think we're beating a dead horse in going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about parts availability, warranty blah blah blah. Your Lincoln's and Millers, sure you can get the part if its on the shelf. Rockrunner86 should have gotten a unit from the nearest distributer rather than waiting 2 weeks for the factory to build one. That is unless no nearby distributor had one.

Resale? :laughing:

I think that if everybody paid closer attention, they'd see the Parker machines are geared towards DIY and home hobbyist. However I thrash mine just as hard as the Pro Cut 55 got it in the shop I worked at. :p Just like anything else you wheel & deal. There are certain brands etc that retain their value, I suggest you don't buy a Parker if your more worried about what you'll get out of it when you sell it, rather than the quality of work its actually going to do for you. :shaking:

I'm sorry, but I've got $400 something in mine. If it somehow would only last 3 years till it puked (which I don't see happening). I really wouldn't be that upset since I would have by far gotten the return on my investment. I'm half tempted to take a pic of the pile of scrap under my workbench as a testimony, but truthfully thats only a fraction of what its done. :D

Oh, and I'd be a hyprocrate if I bashed Miller, I've got a Millermatic 251. :flipoff2:

#57 ·
Rockrunner86 should have gotten a unit from the nearest distributer rather than waiting 2 weeks for the factory to build one. That is unless no nearby distributor had one.
I did drop it off at the local miller repair site, After it sat there untouched for over a week. I went in and explained to them that I was hoping to be able to finish this project I had been working on before my trip in April. That I would be happy to be able to use the syncrowave I traded in to them until my unit was replaced/repaired. Have you this unit wouldn't power up right out of the box. They told me that had already sold my syncro so I was pretty much screwed.

#60 ·
I run into situations like these everyday at work and when it comes down to it you just have to make the best educated guess you can and hope it goes well.

I guess what I meant by "beating a dead horse" is that Parkers not going to set up a nationwide distribution anytime soon, or I don't foresee it happening. As well we can't fast forward time 20 years to see if they are still a reputable and thriving business, I hope they are. :D One thing I've caught onto is that Parker is looking to eventually be a "made in the USA" product, I think?

I would assume with all the talent on this board, that if for some reason parts did become unattainable we would be able to retrofit something. :D

#64 ·
The off the shelf parts argument is fine if you live where there is a shelf. But not everybody does. Last time I had the "big" Lincoln serviced it had to be loaded on a truck and shipped. Granted thats for anything big, :idea: like when Parker gets theirs back on UPS. Then it gets shipped back to you.

Just remember we're talking home/hobby use here, nobody was ever asking what welder to buy for industrial use.

I glad your friend can buy and sell top notch tools for profit, I couldn't help but notice your not claiming to do the same. Must not be so easy then or everybody would be doing it.

As far as parts availability or interchangeability goes only time will tell. Parker says their gearing towards a Made In USA label, that alone says plan staying around awhile. Plus lets be honest here for now there made in China, so all the other made in China plasmas part will interchange.

#68 ·
I glad your friend can buy and sell top notch tools for profit, I couldn't help but notice your not claiming to do the same. Must not be so easy then or everybody would be doing it.
I've done it/do it to a certain degree, but I don't have anywhere near the extra cash laying around that he does. He buys things and tools that he wants, but never has any problem letting them go if someone is looking for something like what he has since more deals can be found. A great example would be his tubing bender. He had a really nice setup, but someone came along looking for one so he sold it. Now he's looking at buying or building another one.

Now back to the questions about the tig. :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.