Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding Gear

998 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sn0border88 
#1 ·
Where can I get the leather or atleast some leather that's strong enough to put to the bottom of my welding mask?

I never understood why that was there until I welded a bit yesterday looking down/over my work and the reflection off my shirt caused my lower face, lips and even eyes :shaking: to get a lil sunburned.

I also will be replacing my white t-shirt :laughing: with upper leathers. (I already new I needed to do this to cut down on reflection and block my arms and chest.)

#2 ·
They're generally called helment bibs. Should be able to get one at your local weld supply store. The velcro they come with for attachment sucks, velcro-velcro bond is stronger than the adhesive on the one strip. :shaking:

I ditched the velcro for snaps. They work great. I can take the bib off when I don't need it (gets in the way sometimes), or use it with my other hood. It did require drilling a pair of holes in my hood to attach the snaps.

#6 ·
I need to get some before I can get worn out ones :D
I'd use my gloves but when they wear out they are normally so burnt and stuff they are only good for laying on top something to prevent spatter burns, etc... great for pushing into tight spots on a rig :D

#7 ·
Consider some of the fire resistant fabric welding jackets if you work in hot climates. Some what marginally better than leather in the summer sun. Also it dosen't hurt if they are a little loose for air flow or heavy winter clothing. A little loose, not flapping in the breeze waiting the have the grinder grab them.

#8 ·
Are you pulse welding, trying to figure out why its so bright? What kind of helmet do you have, when I'm looking at my work my Speedglas does a good job about covering me up. But I've welded for years and only had to use a hankerchief to cover myself up completely when I was pulse welding I beams together. Guess I don't run my tig long enough to know if it would be necessary for that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.