Pirate 4x4 banner

fluidized sand bed parts cleaner?

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  DSW 
#1 ·
I was watching Smash lab on the discovery channel yesterday and they had a fluidized sand bed parts cleaner. It looked like a 5 gallon bucket full of sand with a air supply hooked up to it. I think it would be a interesting alternative to sand blasting but I can't find any info about them.

I was thinking about just building one and seeing if it worked at all.

I googled and checked enco. has anyone ever heard of one of these?

Thanks

#2 ·
Got lots of $?

The fluidized bed requires lots of heat to make it work. I worked for a company that had huge fluidized bed cleaners. They were heated by natural gas.

They are also really fawking dangerous. The beds are heated really hot. Any water will cause the bed to erupt with violence.

#6 ·
oh. Like I said I had never heard of it before. they upscaled it with only compressed air and play sand and made it swallow a ford ranger. I don't think the Parts cleaner they had was heated since he put his hand in it when it was running.

They have the full episodes on http://video.discovery.com/#
smash lab, Fluidized sand

The cleaner is the very first thing they show

#9 ·
what about a vibratory cleaner? that may work like what you are thinking and be cheaper. there was a build up of one on cnc zone that used a plastic 55 gallon drum for the container. it could be built on the cheap.

#11 ·
Sounds like a vibratory / ultrasonic cleaner. We used to deburr, clean parts in an old concrete mixer. Filled it with sand, alum oxide chips, or small stone, put the parts in and let them spin for a while. Giant rock tumbler. I use a similar method to clean the inside of steel tanks. I fill them 2/3's full of alum oxide chips a little water and some simple green to break down any oils, cap and put on a rotating roller for 18-24 hrs. Insides polish up real nice, all the old rust is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.