Pirate 4x4 banner

Long over due MSD shop build.

11K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  MSD shop 
#1 ·
Well, i built this shop quite a while back, but never shared the pics of the build up or any specs. So here goes.

Shop is 40' x 60' with 14' ceilings.

I lived a subdivision, so there were home owners association conventents that I had to adhere too, that fawking sucked. I made an offer on the house and the offer included the plans for my shop, if it was approved by their committee, I would buy the house, otherwise it was not a deal. They approved it, so i bought the house.

1.67 acres, so I knew that I have to be very careful how I planned the shop.

put it on the west side of the house, facing north. It has a 14' wide by 13' tall commercial door, R30 rating, that was $3800.:eek: I set the door off to one side, so i could pull rigs in and park them off to the side and still drive in and use my lift. It has 4'x4' windows, 2 on each side at about a 5' level. It also has a 4'x8' front window. I built a office, loft and a bathroom. the office has the staelite radio plummed into the walls and the shop. It has t-1 internet and wifi, it has cable tv and phone also. The bathroom has a toilet, sink, urinal, shower and keg fridge. I also put the air compressor in there. Little trick, I cor-bonded the whole bathroom and I used a EXTERIOR door on the bathroom, that way when the compressor is on, you really can't hear it.

I cor-bonded the whole shop 6" thick in the walls, then blew in 36" of insulation in the ceiling. R-value, somwhere around R-50:eek: I put a wood stove in the NE corner and put 3 large ceilings fans in. I put a 500,000 BTU unit gas heater on the ceiling in the SW corner, it is set on a thermostat at 42 degrees and rairly kicks on.

I use the woodstove primarely adn I can keep it about 85 degrees without too much work. I installed a 100 gallon water heater under the stairs and plummed it to the bathroom and a spicket in the shop for washing trucks. I also painted the walls with PPG "oil tanker" paint. Base coat , clear coat. This is the same shit they paint the bottom of the fishing boats in the bearing sea. It is 100"% waterproof. I then silcone sealed the walls to the floor and put a rubber back splash on all the walss, so when I wash trucks, the walls don't get fawked up.

Th air lines and drops are all 1" copper and it is a continuess line all the way around the shop, will hold 180 PSI for 7 days, if you don't open a valve.:eek:

I put a Bend Pak 12,000 two post hoist in, it has the arms for lowered vehicles and the ones for 4x4's, simple switch out. It works perfect.

I have 110 and 200 wiring and 3 phase for CNC machines. There is a 100 or 220 outlet every 4 ft in the shop.

I will add more details as I think of them, hoep this helps those planning a shop. As always, ASK any questions you want. I planned this for 18 months and put a tremendous amount of thought into. and would be happy to help other s in their builds.

pics:
pooring the mud.:)

done, needs to cure:

See less See more
#18 ·
will have those up shortly.

I finished it in 2005, appraised at $147k
I spent $89k - lots of free labor and time.:D

#20 ·
yeah, there are 30 houses in our subdivision, each has 1.5-2.2 acres which is great, the shitty part is the HOA is like a nazi brigade:D:mad3:

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.