Pirate 4x4 banner

value of ox/acet. bottles, welder??

894 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DSW 
#1 ·
i have no idea what they are worth, but i am looking to sell them,
i have two bottles for a ox/ac set, they are about 4' tall, one is a bit shorter.
they are only about 1-2 years old, and there is a torch/welding set that i am selling with it for $80.

then i have a lincoln pro mig 135 welder, not sure what its worth,
basically i have someone wanting to buy it all, and i am not sure what is a fair price?

#3 ·
The tanks sound like a 100 cf O2 bottle and a 75 cf Acet bottle. If not these then 1 size set down. I can't remember what I paid for mine back in the stone ages. I'd call a local welding supply and find out what they want for them new and ask between 2/3 to 1/2 of new if the bottles are 1/2 full or better. If they are empty or close to it I'd reduce the price by about 1/2 of what it will cost to get them filled or exchanged. I'm assuming they are in hydro and won't need to be recerted from what you've said. If they are not in hydro, it will cost about $25-$35 per tank to recert them if you can't exchange them with out the shop noticing. Some look, some don't.

#6 ·
well the torch set is not the best, its like a harbor freight brand or something, thats why i am asking $80, if it doesnt sell, i will let yall know.
i am wanting to sell it all to buy one of those Plasma cutters TIG/ARC combos that are in the vendors section. but I would need to get about $700 for it all and i dont know if thats too much, i guess i will check with a local welding shop on the bottles

#7 ·
biggreentj Another thing to considder if your local supplier will swap bottles is that they can be exchanged for argon or mig mix bottles. I got my 150 cf argon bottle as a nitrogen bottle used and swaped it for thee gas I wanted. did the same thing with a 80 cf O2 bottle so I could have a spare mig gas one. My supplier dosent care as long as he gets a bottle the same size or larger. Ask about their swap policy when you call. They might even buy them from you, or know someone whos looking.

Really good reason to get to know your LWS guy. Hey, my guy will even spot me large 282cf bottles over the weekend as long as I have them back monday morning before he has to do his weekly inventory count. Use them when I have a lot of cutting to do and he doesn't require me to get a lease.

You might be able to sell them as seperate full argon/co2 or argon bottles if you can't find a buyer for the set. Remember to add the cost of the fill to what you want to sell them for, and I'd probably ask a bit more for each if I break up the set. Its harder to sell an acet. bottle without a matching O2 bottle to go with it, so if you do swap the acet bottle first.

You might also see if you can post an add at your local plumbing supply house. Some plumbers like the bigger acet. bottles for sweating pipes. fewer trips for refills. Most likely they won't want an O2 bot. but you can then sell it as a mig bot.

Guys looking for mig / tig gas take note. Here might be a good place to pick up a cheap bottle if your local supplier will swap different gas type bottles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.