Pirate 4x4 banner

Hydraulic experts

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  hussy250f 
#1 ·
I am wanting to power a 6' brush hog with a hydraulic motor. The only info I have is the Woods brand hogs have a 5 c.i. motor and turn at 540 rpm's. It looks like a 1" shaft
I ahve searched for motors and found some that are close, but I dont know much about hydraulics and not sure they will work. I dont want to sink a coupla hundred dollars in something I cant use.
Anyone have any recomendations?

#2 ·
Not quite sure I see your application so I'm going to take a guess. Are you planning on mounting the brush hog on the front of you skid steer/ bobcat or a small farm tractor? Are you planning on hooking up to the aux. hydraulic connections of the machine? Some bobcats are equiped with High flow systems and some are not for aux hydraulics. If I remember hi flow systems are set up to run saws and milling machines. I'm not sure about rockhounds and brooms. The other systems run grapples, plows, augers, hammers, etc. Check your system to see if it will work for your application with the machine mfg. Farm tractors like our kubota generally power rear implements with a PTO as opposed to hyd. The rear hyd conections just raise or lower the rear cyl. and have little to no flow for running a motor. Again check and see if the machine was designed with this in mind originally.

Compare the flow rate of the machine to the flow rate required on the motor you are thinking of using. If they are close they'll probably work. Talk to a local repair tech at what ever service center/ dealer you use for your equip. They can tell you if nothing else whether or not the machine can run a brush hog as is now or if you'll have to change something on the machine. If you're nice and they work on ag equip. they may even have some recomendations on where you may be able to find some decent used parts / or build suggestions.

#3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I didn't post enough info, it was late. This is for a woods ditch bank mower, A 6 foot brush hog thats sets off the side of the tractor and cuts a 180 degree arc.
It currently runs off drive shafts. However I cant keep bearings in the drive line. the pillow block keeps breaking. The local dealer is no help, however he keeps plenty of bearings on hand at 173.00 a shot. I ahve gone through 3 already.
I want to put a hydraulic motor on the hog, power it from a pump mounted on the unit amd turn the pump with the PTO. I have no local hydraulic shops close by and cant get any info on the phone. (have called several different manufactures of hydraulic equipment. They dont want to help.)
Woods makes the same setup, thats where I got this idea, but they want over $1000.00 just for the motor. So that option wont work. I did get out of them that their motors have an out pu of 5 cubic inches.
I hope this makes my dilemma a little clearer.
thanks

#4 ·
Ok, it makes a little more sense now. Unfortunately I'm not real familiar with that set up. Something sounds wrong if it keeps breaking the blocks however. I'd start by looking around and see if you can find a service dept somewhere else thats better. I used to drive 1 hr to Jersey to see a Ford/ New Holland dealer there. Our local guy was a PITA. The guy in Jersey wasn't interested in just selling you something, he wanted to help you fix your problem, even if it was odd ball on an older machine.

See if you have a local Highway DOT center nearby. If what you are describing is what I think it is, PennDOT uses them all the time on the roads around here, or something similar. See if one of their mechanics can help. I'd show up in person and just go to the shop and talk to the guys. The desk jockeys won't help much. The mechanics may have the answer or might be able to point you to a dealer thats more helpful.

Hydraulic shops may not be much help. Most hydraulics use cyl and that means pressure. They'll rebuild the valves, make hoses and have fittings, but rotary hydraulic motors are not that common. Motors mean flow, you need to move large volumes of liquid at a given pressure (think turbine) not just push hard. Try Bobcat. We use their machines for milling and cutting, all rentals. You might also try Giles and Ransome if they go down by you. G&R is Catapillar. They might also help. Again, unfortunatly, going in person will probably be best, as the desk personel won't be interested in helping much over the phone.

Good luck keep me posted. Lines and fittings I can help more with.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am done fooling with the driveshafts. This was a used mower when I bought it and I would say a shaft is bent, causing the pillow bearings to break. I kinda got the impression that it was a common problem due to the amount of bearings the dealer had on hand and not even looking anything up when I walked in. Quick explanation and he knew exactly what I wanted.
I have pretty well tried all the dealers close to me, they were not much help. The days of knowledgable service people is quickly disappearing. So I think I will keep searching and try to come up with a combo that will work.
I'll keep you in mind when its time to start plumbing the hydraulics.
Thanks

#7 ·
If a local Hydraulics shop could not figure this out, they should not be in business. LOL

Your motor spec is 5 cuin/ rev. You stated 540 RPM.
5 cuin X 540 RPM = 2700 cuin/min div by 231 ( cuin per gal)

= 11.69 gpm.

You would need a pump putting out around 11.69 gallons of oil per minute to turn your 5 cuin/rev motor at 540 rpm. The pressure required would depend on what you were trying to cut through.

That gets you in the ball park to start looking for parts.

#8 ·
If a local Hydraulics shop could not figure this out, they should not be in business. LOL

Your motor spec is 5 cuin/ rev. You stated 540 RPM.
5 cuin X 540 RPM = 2700 cuin/min div by 231 ( cuin per gal)

= 11.69 gpm.

You would need a pump putting out around 11.69 gallons of oil per minute to turn your 5 cuin/rev motor at 540 rpm. The pressure required would depend on what you were trying to cut through.

That gets you in the ball park to start looking for parts

Thanks for replying. When I said local shops were no help, I meant tractor shops. There is no hydraulic shops around me. Your info gives me something to start with

#10 ·
try these guys: www.surpluscenter.com

I'm not at home, but I remember on their last catalog I recieved from them they have a pto mounted pump setup for around $500 I think.... yep found it. you can make a lovejoy and use the existing gear drive/ clutch setup I would think. Hoses might cost as much as the pumps and motors though.

PUMPS:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2008031014524732&catname=hydraulic&keyword=HPPT

Motors are on this one look for a high torque low speed:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulic.asp?UID=2008031014524732&catname=hydraulic

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.