Pirate 4x4 banner

miller 175 or HH 187

858 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mondtster 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a 220 volt welder and saw a used miller 175. price is $650. I could get a recon HH187 for $519 or new for $650. Shipping would be about the same. I know they are made by the same company just a few better parts with Miller. I am thinking about the 187

What would you do?

#3 ·
I haven't used anything by miller less than a 251, but I've used the 187 and it's a darn good machine for the buck. Nice clean arc, I was throughly impressed. I ended up buying a hobart mig, not a 187, because I was pleased with it's performance. Keep in mind though I've never struck an arc with a 175 miller, it might very well be a good machine aswell

#5 · (Edited)
I've got a HH210. Picked it up for $800 new. Maybe you can find a recon HH210 for cheaper? If not, the extra few hundred spent on the 210 would be worth it IMHO. I'm VERY happy with my Hobart from what I've done with it so far.

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with the Miller either. I'd just pick the Hobart over it from the two you are looking at. The Hobart is made by Miller too BTW...

#6 ·
I prefer the infinite voltage adjustment of my MM175 over "set" ranges. I find that most important when welding thin material.

I and many others here have experienced problems with Millers M-10 gun sticking and/or not completing contact (I assume Hobarts H-10 gun is same, just rebranded).

But, by purchasing a new HH187, you'll get a 1 year warranty on the gun, among other stuff...and longer periods on the more important components. Maybe the recon HH187 comes with the same warranties as a new one?

#11 ·
I prefer the infinite voltage adjustment of my MM175 over "set" ranges. I find that most important when welding thin material.

I and many others here have experienced problems with Millers M-10 gun sticking and/or not completing contact (I assume Hobarts H-10 gun is same, just rebranded).
While I agree with you about the infinite voltage adjustment on the Miller, I think in this case the HH187 would be the better buy.

The guns that come with the Hobarts aren't even rebadged. They say Miller right on them. :laughing:

#10 ·
That miller is too expensive. I got a used one with the factory 2# wire roll still in it for $400 with a bottle.

The miller does have a better drive mechanism BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.